My last night shift EVER!

Fiddler

Recycles dryer sheets
I emptied my locker. I declined an exit interview and the email "exit survey" that HR had sent. I listened to the wisdom of the forum. Let it go. I let it go. I left, quietly. Anti-climatic. I was walking to the parking lot (it was still dark so early in the morning). and heard someone call my name It was my last manager. A great guy. My salvation.. as the last two and a half years I have been a productive employee under his leadership and benefiting from his effective management in my shift job, after finally getting a transfer to 12 hour shifts.

He said he heard I was retiring soon, I told him it was my last night shift. He said some very nice things and congratulated me on retirement. And shook my hand.

He recently got a promotion this month and no longer manages a rotating shift crew. The company has promoted him to the next level. A well deserved promotion.

I drove home. I had a great career. And the people that mattered to me appreciated me.
I felt good. I am so thankful for the opportunities I had in the company. And now my bad experience with HR is shelved...Because the good managers in production appreciated and respected me, as did my co-workers.

Thanks for all the advice
Now... for the next stage of my life.

I emptied my locker. I declined an exit interview and the email "exit survey" that HR had sent. I listened to the wisdom of the forum. Let it go. I let it go. I left, quietly. Anti-climatic. I was walking to the parking lot (it was still dark so early in the morning). and heard someone call my name It was my last manager. A great guy. My salvation.. as the last two and a half years I have been a productive employee under his leadership and benefiting from his effective management in my shift job, after finally getting a transfer to 12 hour shifts.

He said he heard I was retiring soon, I told him it was my last night shift. He said some very nice things and congratulated me on retirement. And shook my hand.

He recently got a promotion this month and no longer manages a rotating shift crew. The company has promoted him to the next level. A well deserved promotion.

I drove home. I had a great career. And the people that mattered to me appreciated me.
I felt good. I am so thankful for the opportunities I had in the company. And now my bad experience with HR is shelved...Because the good managers in production appreciated and respected me, as did my co-workers.

Hopefully, this will help you keep the positive memories as you ease into retired life. Congratulations!

+1 Doing it with style and grace.

Indeed.

I understand about midnight shifts, I worked rotating shifts for 18 years. Six months after I got a straight day work position people who hadn't seen me since then all said "You look a lot better". I felt better too. It wasn't until then that I fully realized how much shift work takes out of you.

Hopefully the same thing will happen to you.

That's awesome! Congrats!

+8. I managed a 24/7 operation and was on call 24/7 most of my career, both 8 & 12 hour shifts. I also worked a locked second (3-11p) shift for 6 months, it was enlightening - and tough. I hope and suspect the OP will really enjoy retiring to a locked daylight shift. Shift work is tough, and it doesn't get easier with age IME.

Last edited:
Congrats! I've dealt with shift work for most of the last 40 years and am looking forward to leaving it behind later this year.

Congrats and good for you to take the high road! :dance:

Well done. Begin to enjoy life.

I had done the same pleasant unheralded walkout.

The drive home was magnificent. By the way as I remember w*rking several years of night shift, it sucked big time. The only benefit was, no suits to get underfoot.

Congratulations Fiddler!
Best wishes for a great retirement. :)

What a great end, Fiddler. Most of my career was rotating shift work, too. I also left with little fanfare and no animosity. Leaving shift work and the job behind was like living in a black and white world all those years, then suddenly seeing in color.

Congratulations Fiddler. I think your issues with the former manager/hr rep will fade away quickly now that you're retired. Have a great retirement!

Congratulations. Well done.

Good on You!

Well done, Fiddler. There is a recent thread going on about class... You've got it.

Now enjoy yourself, and keep posting.

Well done, Fiddler. There is a recent thread going on about class... You've got it.

Now enjoy yourself, and keep posting.

I think this sums it up perfectly!

Fiddler, that was a classy way to leave. Enjoy the next chapter of your life. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Congrats Fiddler! You will soon realize, all the bad stuff doesn't matter anymore. Way to leave the job. Shows class.

Welcome to the rest of your life!

I worked shift work for my entire working life. My hat is off to all who have done that. Taking the high road is a great start to your next phase. Congrats.

Indeed.

I understand about midnight shifts, I worked rotating shifts for 18 years. Six months after I got a straight day work position people who hadn't seen me since then all said "You look a lot better". I felt better too. It wasn't until then that I fully realized how much shift work takes out of you.

Hopefully the same thing will happen to you.

I worked a couple of night shift jobs in college. I really missed the 3 hour card games after moving on.............

Back
Top Bottom