My new Type A tightly wrapped manager is riding with me all day Wednesday!

Floridatennisplayer

Recycles dryer sheets
I am in medical device sales. High pressure and high stress from physicians and from megacorp for more sales. Neither is ever happy.

Got a new manager. Calls me today and says, “My name is XXX and I will be in the field with you all day on Wednesday. We will review your sales numbers. I want to see your action plan for finishing the year strong and a complete territory analysis.

Normally I would stress out, and be way over anxious. However, I am retiring in March and just don’t give a sh.t anymore. Every once in a while today I would start to stress out and think about putting all this data together then reminded myself I could quit tomorrow if needed. I’m tired of being stressed out all the time! So I told myself NO MORE. I’ll throw something together and that’s it. Tired of giving them my life.

Just wanted to vent in a forum of people who have been where I am.......in the final battle.

Take a deep breadth and relax.
Next winter in Fort Myers.

Putting things in perspective. The closer you are to your FIRE date, the more humorous your new manager's Type A personality seems .

If you haven't already, get a good count down timer app that shows how many days til you say "take this job and ...." as a reminder that there is light at the end of the tunnel :).

You were expecting your "new" manager (who is making his mark) to perhaps call you and say hey we're going out Wednesday for beer & brats?

Might be a good day to call in sick, if dealing with the boss is going to cause you stress.

Find a way to have fun with it. Is there one client on your route that you have a really great relationship with? Maybe rope them in to help out on that visit.

Makes me think of Office Space. Yeah, we’re gonna need those TPS reports on Wednesday. Good luck.

As I guy that let the FI cat out of the bag too soon, I feel for your situation. Tell yourself it just doesn't matter, repeatedly. 2 1/2 years out from ER I'm removed from the angst of moving on. However if I were in your situation, just milk it out. Take the plunge to retirement on YOUR terms. If your ready go for it.

Makes me think of Office Space. Yeah, we’re gonna need those TPS reports on Wednesday. Good luck.

Or m favorite - " you've been missing quite a bit of work lately- (response) - well I can't say I'm missing it"

OMG!!! Don't forget the cover sheets!

Seriously, we've been there. Temperament and some greased BS will get you to March.

I agree with the comment to just find a way to relax, change focus, and have fun with it. You have nothing to lose at this point. Do a human experiment. Focus not on yourself and your "numbers" but on him. Keep switching the conversation to him--his goals, his life, his family etc. Observe what happens.

Loved the response about calling on friendly clients... fake it till you make (to March)...you probably busted your butt for them so you can easily reconcile coasting..

I am in medical device sales. High pressure and high stress from physicians and from megacorp for more sales. Neither is ever happy.

Got a new manager. Calls me today and says, “My name is XXX and I will be in the field with you all day on Wednesday. We will review your sales numbers. I want to see your action plan for finishing the year strong and a complete territory analysis.

Normally I would stress out, and be way over anxious. However, I am retiring in March and just don’t give a sh.t anymore. Every once in a while today I would start to stress out and think about putting all this data together then reminded myself I could quit tomorrow if needed. I’m tired of being stressed out all the time! So I told myself NO MORE. I’ll throw something together and that’s it. Tired of giving them my life.

Just wanted to vent in a forum of people who have been where I am.......in the final battle.
I had a similar, dissimilar experience.

My VP decided he'd like to be an instant technician and advise a group of seasoned IT professionals, who had worked 14 hours understanding the data issue, what was wrong with a system. "Obviously a hardware problem"! After his stupidity and personalized azzchewing I became "done".

I was going to do OMY to age 57. I spoke with my Fidelity guy, his opinion was if you're okay at 57, you're ok at 56.5. Honestly some of the best advice I'd ever received!

Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.

From MRG: Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.

+1. If you are sticking around for a year end bonus, etc don't overvalue it. If you're good and your sh!t filter is full, just go.

Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.

I was thinking the same thing unless that screws him on some benefits. But probably just best to throw some bs at the guy and cruise to the finish line.

Perhaps it is an opportunity for you to teach him how to deal with a short timer.

Don’t get stressed, get even, haha that’s what I did, play along with the game until March. Don’t forget there’s an F in FI.

I will be in the field with you all day on Wednesday. We will review your sales numbers. I want to see your action plan for finishing the year strong and a complete territory analysis.
If you want to retire early, just say, "No thank you, I'm too busy selling to baby sit you all day!"

I recall telling a boss to stop attempting to "develop me." I was sick of his buzzword bingo.

Last edited:
Putting things in perspective. The closer you are to your FIRE date, the more humorous your new manager's Type A personality seems .
I manage projects for a living. My boss typically tries to do 'project reviews' every quarter to review project financials and technical issues.

Last time I did these was about 10 months ago. I think my belligerant, non-cooperative, I don't give a ___ attitude must have come through a little too clearly....they trust my work and haven't asked me back!

I remember the time we had 90% market share in our niche. Then we were asked to increase sales by 2-fold (or was it 5-fold). I just laughed and told the CEO it wasn't going to happen. And it didn't happen.

But the OP should use this opportunity to learn from the new manager. The OP should get the new manager to tell him how all the other reps and their sales territories are doing and what the best practices are and what really works. I suspect the OP won't have to talk much at all except for a few well-placed questions.

From MRG: Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.

+1. If you are sticking around for a year end bonus, etc don't overvalue it. If you're good and your sh!t filter is full, just go.
That was why I left on 21 January, right after my7% profit sharing was deposited to my 401K. On 23 January we were on a plane to South America:D

Back
Top Bottom