National Do Not Call Registry

Here's the thing that makes this system unique: Since caller ID information is transmitted between the first and second rings, other phone systems will ring once, then block further rings and disconnect. I didn't want even that initial ring. This system always suppresses the first ring, so you're not bothered at all.
That sounds very useful. My Panasonic phone does ring once on blocked calls, so maybe next time I'll try Uniden.

Unlike many of you, the DNC has worked great, for me. For the first few years, I did get a fair number of bogus calls, which I immediately hung up. But then they tapered off, and now, I get very few unwanted calls. Maybe one every couple of months.

Thanks Gindie. Mostly I've stopped answering the phone but on the rare occasion I get caught by a telemarketer I consider it my civic duty to keep them on the line as long as possible, as MPaquette suggested I have fun with it.
Though I'm aware of the futility of my thought process. I've concluded that if everyone did this and we collectively erode the # of calls per hour they can execute we can damage the business model and in my dreams it drys up and blows away.

My land-line and cell phone are both registered on the DNC list and have been for years.

I was unaware that the DNC had a complaint form. I've been using the FCC site at FCC Consumer Complaints

Comparing forms shows the one at the FCC to be a bit longer. I've always received a letter from the FCC stating that they have received my complaint and whether or not it qualifies for any action on their part. Most do. I can't figure out what triggers the 'action' on their part, as each complaint is very similar to the ones that have proceeded it. I do not recall receiving a second call from any of the numbers for which I filed a complaint.

When a complaint is filed at the DNC site -- do you receive some type of acknowledgment/confirmation?

omni

I have found that if you ask if the caller himself or herself is a police or firefighter they will answer NO. Probe a little further: Do you have a policeperson or firefighter in your immediate family? NO. Are you a volunteer? NO. About then you have them in the position of telling you that they are compensated by keeping a portion of your "contribution" most of them will give up without a fight. Just tell them that you choose to make your contributions directly to the cause and not to a third party that gets a cut off the top.

By far, the quickest way to get somebody asking you for money off the line is to tell them nobody in the house w*rks. Doesn't necessarily have to be true. It is very effective.
I once asked one of these guys if he could fix a parking ticket that I just got that day. I seem to recall that I promised that I would buy whatever her was selling if that ticket would go away.

I've been on the DNC list since it's inception and it has worked fine for me.

I get a call from a computer once a month telling me about a new interest rate and I immediately hang up but I wish I could stop it, don't have caller ID.

I sometimes get a call soliciting for the state police. I either act afraid sounding like an old confused person questioning why the state police are calling me and jerk him around as long as possible or I say I hate the police and wouldn't give them a nickle then wait to hear the response.

For months I was getting calls for my ex wife for Soap Opera Digest and told them at least 10 times she doesn't live here anymore. Each time they said ok and wouldn't call but then another couple of weeks and another jerk would call. I finally put an end to it by giving them her current number. :LOL:

I got several calls from a collection agency but they wouldn't tell me much. Apparently the ex again was the culprit. When I explained the situation they stopped calling.

My biggest problem is a doctor has a phone number similar to mine. You wouldn't believe some of the calls I get on the answering machine!

Also some dumb a$$ kid can't dial the phone right so I started to play along keeping them on the phone for as long as 20 minutes telling them the kid they wanted to talk to was coming. Finally they learned to dial that number correctly.

Yesterday we were without electricity and wouldn't you know a call came through our wired landline from some window washing outfit that we have never used? Being hot, tired, and stressed out, for the first time I lost it and just banged the receiver against the door jamb about 10 times, hard, and then hung up. I'm sure it accomplished nothing but I did feel a little better when I was done, and the phone and door jamb survived.

Just a suggestion.
When I get a call from someone who is ignoring my DNC status, I go to donotcall.gov and file a complaint on them. You just have to give your phone #, the time of the call, and the offending number (from your caller ID).

I have never received a second call from anyone I filed a complaint on.

I never knew this...thanks. We get quite a few even though we have been on the list for years.

I'm on DNC but "Rachel" and some other similar company still calls me, usually when I'm at work. I hit the prompt to speak to a live person - if at home, I'll blow a whistle into the phone. At work, I feign interest, then in an eager tone I ask them to hold on while I close my office door - then put the phone on my radio and quickly raise the volume.
These tactics have not stopped the calls, but I have to admit I sure feel good each tiem I do it. [on a side note, being a telemarketer must be one of the worst jobs one could have].

Just a suggestion.
When I get a call from someone who is ignoring my DNC status, I go to donotcall.gov and file a complaint on them. You just have to give your phone #, the time of the call, and the offending number (from your caller ID).

I have never received a second call from anyone I filed a complaint on.
I'm in the DNC registry, but still get calls. I just re-registered to see if that helps. Didn't know that I could file a complaint at dontcall.gov so thanks for that tip!

When I get a telemarketing call, I just interrupt them and say "please put me on your do not call list" and that immediately shuts them up. And I think it works.

When I get a telemarketing call, I just interrupt them and say "please put me on your do not call list" and that immediately shuts them up. And I think it works.

Exactly!

All these people saying they hang up or keep them on the line or whatever - that's unlikely to stop the calls. Telling them to "put me on your do not call list" is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do. You can also file a complaint, but this should be enough and it seems to work.

Plus, I think it is really the politest way to handle it - just saying 'no thank you' means they are going to waste their time calling back later. You're doing them a favor by telling them not to call you.

Are You Getting Telemarketing Calls You Don't Want? Here's How to Stop Them
Understand that some calls are not covered. Once your number has been on the registry for 31 days, most telemarketing calls will stop. However, you still may get:

calls from — or on behalf of — political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors;

calls from companies with whom you have an existing business relationship. A company may call you for 18 months after you make a purchase or three months after you submit an inquiry or application. However, if you request that the company place your number on its own do-not-call list, it must honor your request. You should keep a record of the date you make the request;

calls from companies you’ve given permission to call

-ERD50

When a complaint is filed at the DNC site -- do you receive some type of acknowledgment/confirmation?
I've probably turned in around 30 DNC complaints on the website in the past five years (75% from Texas State Troopers and the rest primarily from Rachel). I've received only three acknowledgment letters from them. I don't know how they figure who gets letters.

This was a 2008 letter: "This is in response to your complaint filed with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) alleging a violation of the FCC's Do-Not-Call rules. We received your complaint, which appears to contain all necessary information. Thank you for filing. The matter is now under review. If you have further questions....." They included a printout of my online complaint. This particular acknowledgment was about the "Extended Warranty Activation Processing Center" for a car warranty.

Just as I was reading some of these posts, I received a robocall from some "Rachel" who wanted to clean my carpets. I did my usual thing to hit the "#" sign a bunch of times which ended the call at the other end. Not sure if it works but I get a small joy from confusing the robocaller. I do that when I get dead air from a robocall, as that is often done to log a time when the answerer is home to receive an actual call later.

I did not know that I can ask a business with which I have a current (or recent) relationship to stop calling me with unsolicited offers for additional services. I get those from my cable and phone companies as well as my credit card holder.

[on a side note, being a telemarketer must be one of the worst jobs one could have].

You are correct sir!

I was between jobs in 1993 and worked for a telemarketing outfit for a few months just to see what it was all about. This was the absolute worst job that I have ever had. I have nothing positive to say about the experience.

We also have been getting collection agency calls from day one when we moved to WV. It's been nine years now. I tried telling them the guy is dead but that didn't work either.

The last time a live human called I said "We've had this number for eight years and you haven't had any luck yet. Dont'ja think it might be about time to give up?" The lady did say she'd take our number off their list, and there is no evidence that she didn't.

Wow that gal Rachel does everything. Does she not rest? Makes me wonder if she does any of that good stuff.:dance:

There are some things Rachel won't do. I know because I asked. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom