Need Input from the Performance Car Lovers

i'd starting getting internet quotes from around the country - or try cargurus

I already did that. The price I proposed was not a soft target for any dealer.

what if you got a GM credit card? sometimes those have incentives

Why would the dealer give you the deal if you told him you are going to order a different car from him in 2 days?

BTW, I have a cayman S manual with auto rev matching and such, and I am completely sick of shifting it myself. Next car will have PDK or dual clutch automatic.

I am completely sick of shifting it myself. Next car will have PDK or dual clutch automatic.
Been there.... You'll probably find, as I have, that the new electronic autos are quicker than the manuals anyway. Times have changed.

Last edited:
BTW, the new CTS-V is mind blowing nutty though quite a bit more than $50k. As for manual vs. others if this is not a daily driver I'd get the manual (they're becoming rare these days, funny how times change) for the fun factor. For me it was never about how quick a trans shifts it's what puts the grin on my face - rowing the shifter and rev matching on downshifts does that for me.

Why would the dealer give you the deal if you told him you are going to order a different car from him in 2 days?

BTW, I have a cayman S manual with auto rev matching and such, and I am completely sick of shifting it myself. Next car will have PDK or dual clutch automatic.

Because its on their lot already and there is more margin on the more expensive model. Yeah, the manual has rev match as well, and while the auto shifts very fast and crisply, I suspect a dual clutch auto might be better, but your point on the manual is well taken. They recently tested a ZL1 auto trans Camaro on Nurburgring and it was pretty impressive (ZL1 auto is 10 spd, while other Camaro models get 8 spd):

New Camaro ZL1 Circles the 'Ring Quickly – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

DW says to me tonight, you might be better off going for the auto model since there is no way of knowing if your hips will become a problem as you age. She might have a point.

what if you got a GM credit card? sometimes those have incentives

I don't really want another credit card, and have my credit frozen anyway. IIRC, these cards used to allow you to earn cash by using the card, and then your earned bonus $s could be applied against a new car purchase.

The dealer met my price bogey and knocked off another $300, and that was a great deal for the plusher version. However, thinking about it some more over Thanksgiving, the track oriented 1LE model won out, so its now on order. Dealer had an order for a black one that was already accepted by the factory and that has been assigned to me. Might get it next month or in early January.

Attachments

• Camaro SS 1LE.jpg
    Camaro SS 1LE.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 18
The dealer met my price bogey and knocked off another $300, and that was a great deal for the plusher version. However, thinking about it some more over Thanksgiving, the track oriented 1LE model won out, so its now on order. Dealer had an order for a black one that was already accepted by the factory and that has been assigned to me. Might get it next month or in early January.

Mean looking car! Good luck and give us an update with photos once you get it.:)

Don't let the price of a new vette scare you off. I've always cheaped out on vehicles and motorcycles, buying what I thought I could afford, always looking for 'the' deal. But then, I've always thought that if you buy the best there is, you won't be disappointed.

Attachments

• 0911161115.jpg
    0911161115.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 15
Drove a Fiat 500 Abarth Saturday , I felt like we were in a Go Cart . I don't know if it was because it was so small but going on backroads I could not quit grinning . The little car actually screamed you could go around turns like a madman . They say that car will do 129 MPH ...yikes

I have manual transmissions in my Audi TT and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Unfortunately, my knees are telling me that maybe my next vehicle should be an automatic. :(

I have a DCT (dual clutch transmission) in two of my cars. Almost all the fun of a true manual but no clutch peddle. Automatic blips on down shifts are neat. Good for us older guys.

I've got 2 performance cars--one with 6 sp. automatic and one with 6 speed manual.

On the manual tranny, I often get tired of shifting/clutching and shift from 1st to 3rd to 6th speeds--skipping gears. Nice to have enough power to do that.

On the 6 speed auto, it's in 2nd gear within a car length and hitting 4th when I get across a wide intersection. They're now all calibrated for max. fuel mileage and a general pain in the rear.

You must be ordering that Camaro from a successful dealer if you're getting it in January. Often, such high performance models are built in low volumes and dealers must "earn" the right to even order one.

Don't let the price of a new vette scare you off. I've always cheaped out on vehicles and motorcycles, buying what I thought I could afford, always looking for 'the' deal. But then, I've always thought that if you buy the best there is, you won't be disappointed.

I drove a Grand Sport Vette the other day just to make sure I wasn't missing something I would regret, but could not feel any difference in handling or power. Of course it wasn't on a track. It also reminded me that getting in and out of such a low seat might become unpleasant as I age. With the Camaro there is much to be said about it providing great performance regardless of price.

You must be ordering that Camaro from a successful dealer if you're getting it in January. Often, such high performance models are built in low volumes and dealers must "earn" the right to even order one.

Yes, they are a very large dealer. These 1LE Camaro's have been slow to show up across the country. It is a bit of a niche car, although supply may get better next year.

What is the saying , I ride a Yamaha FZ6 R , not terribly fast but handles reasonable and can really run the backroads 135 MPH . But

It is better to have a slow vehicle that you can drive fast then to have a fast car that you always have to drive slow. ( speed limits )

Cars today are so darn fast , just read about Ford Fiesta ST stock 140 MPH.
Years ago I had a Roadrunner I never ran that 383 140 MPH . But a 140MPH Fiesta is just evil .

I would love to help but I have owned a Mustang in one form or another since 1965. The classic Chevy vs. Ford days!

Nice choice with the 1LE package. You should have a lot of fun with that. The new Z/28 is even more track oriented, but your 1LE has a bit more driver comforts.

Nice choice with the 1LE package. You should have a lot of fun with that. The new Z/28 is even more track oriented, but your 1LE has a bit more driver comforts.

The 17 Z/28 is not out yet, but the real benefit with the 1LE is probably saving $25K or more.

Back
Top Bottom