Need Input from the Performance Car Lovers

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been sharing an SUV with DW for several years, and am getting the urge for my own car again. I've owned many performance oriented cars in the past and am looking in that direction again, but do not want to spend the big bucks, so want to stay under $50K. To this end, I am looking at a 2017 Camaro, and am considering two very different configurations. One is a 1SS1LE which is kind of bare bones 6 spd manual model oriented toward the race track, while the other is a 2SS 50th anniversary edition with an 8 spd paddle shift automatic. The automatic is faster in a straight line and has more creature comforts and tech features, while the manual is slightly slower in a straight line, but has significantly more grip and track oriented options. The manual model also has a lower price. I drove the automatic one yesterday, and was impressed, and will drive a manual model tomorrow, although it will not be the 1LE equipped track version. For some reason, I am struggling to decide between these two cars which are really differently purposed. In either event, the car is just a for fun car, and will not be used for every day transportation and might see an occasional track day, but mostly road only.

I want one of those too. Which one is a convertible?

Tough call - I'd go with the ragtop. However, I forgot how much I missed driving a stick until I got the old Firehawk this year. That 6-speed manual is pretty fun.

I just looked at the 2017 maros and now I want one. I think I'm going to wait a year when I can get one for $35Kish. I'd love to daily a 450hp car during the summer.

I want one of those too. Which one is a convertible?

Tough call - I'd go with the ragtop. However, I forgot how much I missed driving a stick until I got the old Firehawk this year. That 6-speed manual is pretty fun.

No converts, both are coups. Only time I owned a convertible was on a BMW Z4 3.0. Thought I'd enjoy the convert, but didn't turn out that way. I will say this car does not have the best visibility due to small windows, so a convert definitely might be favored by many people.

Maybe I am sick but , I would not rule out a used Vette . Here is what I am finding . You can purchase used Vettes pretty reasonable and they usually have lower miles and have been babied . People who buy Vettes new are not 25 year old kids . I was out last week just looking a local Corvette dealer had a 1989 , very nice looking one owner 61000 miles for 6999.00 . Also had a 1999 with 55000 miles for 13999.00 . Corvettes to me are the only American Sports Car and make a good Heirloom . The new Camaros are nice cars but not a sports car to me . ( just me talkin )

the new camaros make way more power than a c4 or c5 vette, way more

IMHO, the manual always wins out the fun factor.
But as a daily driver, especially in built-up areas, give me an auto so as to not making regular driving a chore.

Maybe I am sick but , I would not rule out a used Vette . Here is what I am finding . You can purchase used Vettes pretty reasonable and they usually have lower miles and have been babied . People who buy Vettes new are not 25 year old kids . I was out last week just looking a local Corvette dealer had a 1989 , very nice looking one owner 61000 miles for 6999.00 . Also had a 1999 with 55000 miles for 13999.00 . Corvettes to me are the only American Sports Car and make a good Heirloom . The new Camaros are nice cars but not a sports car to me . ( just me talkin )

You couldn't buy this one at those prices, but I've been there. If I was going to get another vette, I would opt for a new Z51 or maybe a GS.

Attachments

• mallett pic (2).jpg
    mallett pic (2).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 33
I was just talking value for the money and a real collectable ( just opinion ) . For performance why not look at a Viper I hear they are scary fast . Camaro's are nice for sure and really fast in a straight line . But me just talkin there is something about a corvette . In my past I owned a Roadrunner , Barracuda and a Challenger / 340 . Rebuilt an old Porsche ( broke me ) Rebuilt an old Triumph rebuilt an old Datsun Z . All good cars but I just never ever had a corvette . We have Franks Vettes here in Houston and they seem reasonable .

Franks has had that 89 on the lot for a while. It is a good deal if I were in the market for a c4. I'm not sure I'd fit very well in it though.

Look on CL. I was in htown last week and I seem to recall a few good deals on lt1 c4s.

Yes you are correct ! I watched the Mecum auto auction over the weekend and they were talking about BMW's and MB . They said like 84 % of new BMW's and Mercedes . are they called rent cars Do you think the new Camaro's could be that way ?? I see lots on the road . Not like you want though .

I was just talking value for the money and a real collectable ( just opinion ) . For performance why not look at a Viper I hear they are scary fast . Camaro's are nice for sure and really fast in a straight line . But me just talkin there is something about a corvette . In my past I owned a Roadrunner , Barracuda and a Challenger / 340 . Rebuilt an old Porsche ( broke me ) Rebuilt an old Triumph rebuilt an old Datsun Z . All good cars but I just never ever had a corvette . We have Franks Vettes here in Houston and they seem reasonable .

My vette was a collectible and is registered at the National Corvette Museum. I've driven a Viper on the race track and didn't particularly like it, was able to get around a 2+ mile track in a 96 Porsche faster than many of the Vipers. New Camaro's perform quite well on the track, take a look at this comparison test:
2016 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - Motor Trend

I've had lots of Vettes, a Z28 a few years ago, and other performance cars (mostly GM's). As I got older I found two more things I wanted along with my performance cars. Luxury and comfort.

I've mention this before in other threads but I'll do so again here. Last year I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and could not be happier. Comfort, luxury and high performance. 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times beat my C6 and comes really close to a C7. The GC SRT doesn't look like a race car and seems to be ignored by the cops, for the most part.:cool:

With AWD it handles amazingly well. A fully loaded mid size luxury SUV with a 475 hp 6.4 Hemi is not everyone's cup of tea but it works for me. This car has become my preferred daily driver so I'm always ready! A new one will cost a bit over 70k but it is worth it to me for the extras.

Well, you did ask for input. :)

Last edited:
I've always liked the look of the '73 Corvette, with the fiberglass nose and the old-school rear bumpers. I would love drop-in the newer crate motor 350, with fuel injection and computer controll for performance and economy. Install new shocks and some dressy rims on all 4 corners, tighten up the steering box. Give it a candy apple paint job.

Forget all that numbers-matching stuff......that baby would haul.

Last edited:
Op- I'd go with the manual trans since it will be a for fun car. I wish I would have got the manual trans when I bought my vette in 2001.

Op- I'd go with the manual trans since it will be a for fun car. I wish I would have got the manual trans when I bought my vette in 2001.

I have manual transmissions in my Audi TT and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Unfortunately, my knees are telling me that maybe my next vehicle should be an automatic. :(

I have had (and still do) have both. The older manual 4 or 6 speed are fun (for a while) but it's get old. (IMO) These days I much prefer the 8 speed electronic autos w/paddle shifters. 99% of the time I just leave it in full auto mode but if I want to hold and/or manually shift through the gears "for whatever reason" I can use the paddle shifters and have that control just like a manual.

Last edited:
Well, I drove an upscale 50th Anniversary SS edition with manual trans this morning and it was very nice. However, I decided that this more upscale model with all the tech and comfort features is probably better paired with an auto trans, while the more bare bones track model can only be had with a manual trans. So I proposed a very aggressive price to the dealer for the more expensive Anniversary SS auto trans model that they have in inventory. They were not able to meet that price, so I told them in that case I will order the 1LE manual trans model on Friday, as there are none of these in inventory or in the pipeline. We were only $300 apart on the automatic. He told me that if the dealership had a coupon from the manufacturer they could give me what I requested, but otherwise they would be making nothing (you never know what they are really making with holdback and other manufacturer rebates). Not sure if they can come up with a coupon or not between now and Friday, but I would be happy going either way.

300.00 om a 45 K car ....that is not even 1% . Try another dealer somebody will do the deal .

They were not able to meet that price, so I told them in that case I will order the 1LE manual trans model on Friday, as there are none of these in inventory or in the pipeline. We were only $300 apart on the automatic.

$300 difference stopped you on a ~$50k deal. That's a joke right?

$300 difference stopped you on a ~$50k deal. That's a joke right?

No joke, I needed to come up with some way to decide between the two types of cars, so decided on a $ bogey on the more expensive one. As to the deal, I was proposing $1300 below dealer invoice, and that ends up being $300 below the lower $ cutoff on KBBs fair market price range.

No joke, I needed to come up with some way to decide between the two types of cars, so decided on a $ bogey on the more expensive one. As to the deal, I was proposing $1300 below dealer invoice, and that ends up being $300 below the lower $ cutoff on KBBs fair market price range.

I would go check with some other dealers. There should be lots of room under the "made up invoice" number for the dealer's profit on a slow moving, expensive car. And if they won't move to your price, I would order the other car from another dealer. But that's just me.

Why not wait for December when sales get real slow at these places?

Back
Top Bottom