Neil Armstrong RIP

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
One small step for (a) man......

I can't remember the last time that death of someone whom I never meet brought tears to my eyes.

The word hero is overused, but is there any other word to describe what he and his fellow astronauts of that era did.

His family has a nice request which I think will be easy to honor.
For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request: Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink"

He was a hero of mine. Born and raised in Wapakoneta, Ohio which was the Auglaize county seat, he lived only 20 miles from my hometown. It was not too long ago that my grandson, who is in the Navy, got the opportunity to meet Neil Armstrong at Pensacoal Naval Air Station. He remarked that it was a highlight in his life. I'll never forget 7-20-1969, the day he first set foot on the moon.

News report said he had bypass surgery earlier this year. RIP Neil Armstrong, a true American hero.

In one of my jobs back in my w*rking life, I worked in a small company with both of his sons. Both are extraordinarily intelligent, and both are also what I call "good people." It was obvious that they were brought up in a good home.

I never met Neil, but since I've lived not far from him for the last 20 years, I've heard a number of stories about him. They were all good stories, meaning I've never heard even a hint of anything negative about the man.

A few tears shed here today.

RIP, Neil.

RIP Mr. Armstrong.

img_1225627_0_e93ee11379a88a0a20d3fcbe4f0823da.jpg

Last edited:
The world is a lesser place without him. He taught us all to marvel at the wonders of the universe and dream impossible dreams.

Last edited:
Love those few minutes before the actual landing, when he piloted the lunar lander manually, landing with less than 30 sec fuel left. Nerves of steel!

While young, I still remember his landing on the moon. A magical time full of hope and promise. A true hero for our nation.

I grew up in California and my dad worked at Edwards Air Force base for NASA with Armstrong back in the 50's & early 60's when he was a test pilot at Edwards. I remember how we watched the landing on TV and dad was taking pictures of the screen. My Mom always used to tell us stories about how she used to play "footsie" with him under the table at the NASA parties. He was one of the good ones, RIP Neil Armstrong.

My dad is kneeling next to Neil on the left in this picture.

NEIL.jpg

Korean war combat pilot, test pilot with time in over 200 types of aircraft including the X-1 and X-15, and first man on the moon. A hero and role model so much more genuine than the celebrities that crowd our public consciousness now.

If the Chinese don't hurry up and do a lunar landing we'll soon return to a time when no human alive will have walked on the moon. Sad.

Last edited:
I work next to a gentleman who had Neil Armstrong for a professor at the University of Cincinnati.

Neil Armstrong is famous for the moon landing. But, he should also be remembered for his heroism on Gemini 8. With the spacecraft spinning out of control and the astronauts facing death, he brought the vehicle under control and returned both he and David Scott to safely to Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_8#Emergency

Here is a great interview with Neil Armstrong done by the Australians:

CPA Australia presents An Audience with Neil Armstrong

That is a wonderful interview Chuck and very recent filmed last year. Neil looked so energetic and full of life. Hard to imagine he was dead just a year later, the hosts say he want to go gliding with Neil on his 100th birthday and doesn't seem at all far fetched.

Has anybody read his authorized biography, the review are mixed on Amazon?

I find it supremely ironic that Neil Armstrong made it safely to the moon and back, but died of a complication of a medical procedure (possibly a patient safety issue). Like space exploration, healthcare is inherently risky.

That's a great photo, SteveNU--you must be so proud of your dad (and your mom playing footsies with Neil! what a flirt!).

Agree that Neil Armstrong is an American hero with nerves of steel.

This very personal essay by a Bloomberg journalist refers to many of the attributes noted above: the piloting of the lunar lander, the Apollo 8 emergency, etc.

Memories of Neil Armstrong, Shy hero, American Patriot - Bloomberg

The article mentions one more, nearly dying in 1968 while piloting at Lunar Landing Vehicle trainer
I was going to post some kind of tribute, but this passage beats anything I could write:

In a world where everything is about “me, me and me,” he was a rare throwback to a time when humility and character counted, when people routinely risked their lives not to get rich, bloviate or self- aggrandize, but for their country, science and exploration.

Son and DIL, both Purdue grads, recently adopted a kitten they named Neil honoring the famous Purdue alumnus. That was just a few weeks ago.......

As I mentiuoned in many posts, we are so proud of our grandson who is a recent entry in the United States Navy. After graduating boot camp, he is stationed at Pensacola Naval Air Station. He had the recent honor of meeting Neil Artstrong at the base, just by chance. Today we got an email from our grandson who expressed how sad he was to hear of Mr. Armstrong's death and that he actually shed a tear. He said, "it's not often you meet such a famous person and a month later that person is dead. I was so fortunate to have met him. I'm just a sailor and I got to meet one of the most famous Navy people that ever lived".

Back
Top Bottom