RIP Tom Smothers

He and his brother were uniquely funny in their day.

I guess I'm really getting old, whenever I hear someone has passed, DW & I often think 'I didn't know he/she was still alive?'

He and his brother were uniquely funny in their day.

I guess I'm really getting old, whenever I hear someone has passed, DW & I often think 'I didn't know he/she was still alive?'

I was thinking the same thing - He was still alive??

Anyway, the Smothers Brothers were funny. 86 is a good run.

Well shoot. Greatly enjoyed the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour 1967-69. Good sendoff to floating around over in the south china sea.

for example:

"The Draft Dodger's Rag"

Last edited:
When they were on TV in the 1960's I was a bit young to understand some of the humor. I did see them in person in the 1990's and totally enjoyed the humor. The world needs more funny people, not fewer. :(

RIP - Tom Smothers.

Another icon gone. Still a few days left too in the year.

I was fortunate to be able to see them live several times, and watched most of their TV shows as well. Very creative duo, and I can still remember a number of their bits.

I recall taking DW (while we were first dating) to see a stage play of Woody Allen's "Play it again, Sam", with Tommy Smothers in the lead. He broke character at one point to say "And Mom always liked you best!", which got a big laugh.

Oddly, while doing a search to test my memory on that, I came across something posted by some guy "ERD50", back in 2013...

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/casablanca-quotes-68622.html#post1364252

10-05-2013, 10:40 PM

Maybe this should go in that thread about things you've never done, but I've never seen Casablanca from start to finish. I checked Netfilx, it's dvd only, not streaming (I'd be more likely to watch it streaming).

But related to the date/DW thing, I did take DW (when we were dating) to see "Play it Again, Sam", a stage-play with Casablanca references, with Tommy Smothers in the Woody Allen part.

-ERD50

BTW, I have watched Casablanca start-finish since then. Now I know the reference to "I am shocked!" is from!

-ERD50

I was fortunate to be able to see them live several times, and watched most of their TV shows as well. Very creative duo, and I can still remember a number of their bits.

I seem to recall that one of their 'bits' during their TV show was to struggle to finish a song, as Tommy would always interrupt with some question about the lyrics, or something...

Here, he got almost two minutes in :)

-ERD50

Then there was that time when he joined John & Yoko on guitar, during their 1969 Montreal bed-in, to record the hit single "Give Peace a Chance" (and was mentioned in the lyrics by John):

Had that same thought this morning when the news was running their "who we lost this year"

Smothers Brothers was a big show in our house.

Dick as "YO YO MAN". Skit.

So funny. A really talented man ! ! !

Back
Top Bottom