Netflix DVD Issues

Trooper

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi Folks,

I have a Netflix subscription which allows 2 DVDs at a time plus unlimited streaming. Due to the limited streaming catalog -- especially for newer movies -- I find myself using the DVD snail mail service somewhat frequently.

Have those of you who also get DVDs in the mail from Netflix noticed a increase in the number of disks that either don't play at all, or freeze in the middle? Note: the disks I get are Blu-Ray as opposed to 'DVD' format.

During the last disk we watched the audio completely vanished about 2/3 of the way through! Occasionally I can rectify the situation by pulling out the disk and wiping it down, but that only works some of the time, and it's a PITA. Of course, I can send the disk back to Netflix and they replace it no questions asked, but there's a 3-4 day turnaround for that.

Looking for any similar experiences out there.

Thanks...

Every now and then I get a bluray that doesn't work. I'd say one in 10?

Hi Folks,

Have those of you who also get DVDs in the mail from Netflix noticed a increase in the number of disks that either don't play at all, or freeze in the middle? Note: the disks I get are Blu-Ray as opposed to 'DVD' format.

During the last disk we watched the audio completely vanished about 2/3 of the way through! Occasionally I can rectify the situation by pulling out the disk and wiping it down, but that only works some of the time, and it's a PITA. Of course, I can send the disk back to Netflix and they replace it no questions asked, but there's a 3-4 day turnaround for that.

Thanks...

We don't get Blu-Ray, but occasionally we do receive DVD's that freeze, etc. Try this: go to your queue; go to the disk that's not working; click on "problem" and follow the very few directions and Netflix will immediately send you out a disk to replace the unusable one. Send back the unusable disk at your leisure. Cuts down the turnaround time by a couple of days.

Last edited:
We don't get Blu-Ray, but occasionally we do receive DVD's that freeze, etc. Try this: go to your queue; go to the disk that's not working; click on "problem" and follow the very few directions and Netflix will immediately send you out a disk to replace the unusable one. Send back the unusable disk at your leisure. Cuts down the turnaround time by a couple of days.

+1
Only one bad DVD in 5 or 6 years, but they were very good about it.

I was a longtime subscriber to the NF Blu-ray/DVD plan up until about 6 months ago, and I'd say I only had about 3 or 4 that wouldn't play over the years. Ultimately I realized I just wasn't getting much value out of the disc plan, since the streaming selection had grown tremendously and I could always get recent movies "on demand" from Redbox or other sources if I really felt the urge (which happens rarely).

I might be wrong on this, or it's just my personal experience, but it seems that computers with DVD do a far better job reading discs than do the dedicated players I've tried.

I'm guessing the heavier processor capability of a laptop is better at error correction and buffering than most dedicated players? DW watches hers on the computer, always has a steady queue and almost never has problems. When we were watching library DVDs on our player, they were terrible, drop outs and freezes were common.

I'd imagine BluRay would be harder to read with more density, but then again, they may have improved the error correction?

-ERD50

We get 5 or 6 DVD's (no Blu Ray) per month from Netflix and rarely have any problems with any of them. Maybe once or twice a year we have a problem (usually freeze fame) but I haven't noticed any increase in problem frequency. We do have a top of the line and later model DVD player but I'm not sure if that helps or not.

This has happened a few times but not often. Each time it is because the disc is scratched or otherwise abused. I went to the "problem" section on the website as redduck suggested earlier and received a replacement disc in 2 days. On a few occasions they have even sent an extra disc from my list as a courtesy.

Cheers!

I used to be on the Blu-Ray plan, but was getting a lot of discs that didn't work. I decided it was my old (early tech) blu-ray player trying to play new tech discs, and downgraded to regular dvds. I haven't had a single problem since. I bought a new blu-ray player, but never bothered to upgrade the subscription. I mostly watch them on my laptop, anyway, so no need for blu-ray.

Ditto. I went back to the DVD plan after several BDs that wouldn't play. Then I got a new BD player, and went back to the BD plan and things were fine. Once your BD player is no longer receiving maintenance software updates from its manufacturer, your chances for this to occur increase, and if your BD player's manufacturer is either slow or incomplete in their updates, that will also increase your chances.

Back
Top Bottom