How to *physically* attach a DVD drive to a laptop/Chromebook?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In the not too distant future, DW will need to replace her aging MacBook Pro. She uses it to surf the web, check email, and watching a lot of Netflix DVDs(*). Her MacBook has a built in DVD drive, so it's convenient, and she likes watching movies this way, she often does needlepoint while the movie is on, and she just glances back/forth from the needlepoint to the nearby screen.

Newer Macs (or Chromebooks, another alternative for her) don't include a built-in DVD drive. You can get an external for $30, but who wants that dangling at the end of a cord? I haven't found anyone offering some sort of 'snap on' mount for an external DVD. I would think this would be a common 'want'?

Sure, I can do Velcro, but looking for something a bit classier.

You can still find Windows laptops with built in DVDs, so that's another option - I'd just install Linux over it, like my computers (I'm not a Windows fan). Should do everything she wants.

So, is anyone aware of any convenient physical mounting system for a DVD drive. Since "mount" and "attach" are also used to describe the electrical/software connection, searching isn't helping. HP made a modular stacking DVD drive for their small box computer (looks like a Mac Mini) back in 2016, that's all I find.

(*) And don't say "DVDs?" Many of the series she watches are not available streaming on Netflix, so a DVD player is a must. She streams other stuff, so it's not a "stuck in the 1990's thing".

TIA -ERD50

Last edited:
I would look into streaming from dvd. The dvd reader is connected to a Linux(raspberry pi) via usb then shared with the laptop over WiFi.

I am not clear on the software especially a media player on mac that supports networked dvd content. VLC comes to mind.

I'd never heard of a snap on mount for an external DVD drive.

A matter of taste I suppose, but personally I really don't mind an external DVD drive.

I figure, not really that much more cumbersome then what common today of bringing along portable battery pack to charge cell phones and other devices.

Not sure why you don’t think Velcro is classy. Should be able to do it without the Velcro being seen and it would be quite effective. Another option is a tape that is like the command strips from 3M that release and leave no residue. I’ve never seen a product built for that purpose.

I'm wondering why she needs to replace her aging MacBook Pro ?
Since she only uses it to surf the web, check email, and watching a lot of Netflix DVDs(*), none of which need a powerful computer.

Have you considered simply fixing whatever is wrong (new battery, or replace hd with SSD) ?

Since she only uses it to surf the web, check email, and watching a lot of Netflix DVDs(*), none of which need a powerful computer.

Have you considered simply fixing whatever is wrong (new battery, or replace hd with SSD) ?

It's working fine for now. Just trying to be pro-active, in case it dies beyond repair. It is 11 years old, gets used pretty much every day. None of these things last forever.

Though I am warming up to the basic Velcro approach, if needed. I just realized it would be better to attach it to the lid, so it still sits flat (for some reason, I pictured it on the bottom, maybe because the built in DVD is in the base). With the fuzzy side on the laptop lid and the 'grippy' side on the DVD case, the laptop wouldn't tend to cling to things.

I thought a little about a DVD server, I know Apple supports that from another Apple device, and there are probably ways to get it to work with a Rasp Pi, but that *might* be a little 'tweaky'/'fiddly' for her.

-ERD50

Streaming through Netflix and Amazon Prime. Keep the DVD drive in a drawer...
:dance:

Why not use Handbrake to convert the DVD to mp4 (or whatever you choose) and just play it with a thumb drive. We do that with all our DVDs and use the stick to watch them on the Roku, laptop, etc. Takes care of your bulky concern.

_B

Streaming through Netflix and Amazon Prime. Keep the DVD drive in a drawer...
:dance:

From my OP:

(*) And don't say "DVDs?" Many of the series she watches are not available streaming on Netflix, so a DVD player is a must. She streams other stuff, so it's not a "stuck in the 1990's thing".

-ERD50

Why not use Handbrake to convert the DVD to mp4 (or whatever you choose) and just play it with a thumb drive. We do that with all our DVDs and use the stick to watch them on the Roku, laptop, etc. Takes care of your bulky concern.

_B

I could do that. But that's extra work that would fall on me (she would say "but I just want to put the DVD in, like I always did" - and I don't really blame her), and she gets a DVD or two almost every week.

-ERD50

Does she actually hold the laptop on her lap while watching DVDs? If so, couldn't you just get a longer USB-C cable for the DVD drive so that it can sit on a nearby table? Or get her a folding table that can hold both the laptop and the DVD drive.

81OEpspKrNL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Newer Macs (or Chromebooks, another alternative for her) don't include a built-in DVD drive. You can get an external for $30, but who wants that dangling at the end of a cord? I haven't found anyone offering some sort of 'snap on' mount for an external DVD. I would think this would be a common 'want'?

I think that the very reason most manufacturers are not including DVDs anymore indicate that a DVD at all is not in high demand.

I know with my old Lenovo Thinkpad, there's an option to swap out the DVD burner and replace with a second HDD holder.

Personally, I prefer a laptop with a DVD burner. But also, I don't mind carrying an external DVD burner when needed. If I remember correctly, I bought that external DVD burner when I got a netbook (that I no longer own) without a DVD burner.

IMO, the external served it's purpose well :popcorn:.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptops-with-disc-drives
Best laptops with CD drives in 2020.

Innernet knows everything.

That would be my route too. Find a decent Windows laptop with DVD on sale or used, load Linux, configure operation to be similar to what DW does today, and there ya go........

And really, while OP doesn't like Windows, he won't be using it. As long as DW can watch DVD's, check email and surf (all of which Windows seems to do fine AFAIK), why bother going to Linux on her little utility machine?

I'm hanging onto a 10 year Dell laptop running Windows 7 for our camping trips. Our use of the laptop is similar to OP's DW: check email, watch a few movies on rainy days, book campsites - pay bills - surf and other general Internet chores. Not having a cable connected external DVD player is really convenient in our circumstances.

+1

Not only that, but I'd guard that MacBook Pro with the rare DVD burner :popcorn:.

But if not going this route nor the external route and wanting to place linux (seems like that's ERD's prefered system), then just buy a used laptop with a built in DVD burner, no OS and install linux on.

I did that recently. Got a used Dell with DVD burner, no OS for about $80 from ebay :).

Have considered the portable DVD player, but then it's another device to deal with. Like I said, she switches between the DVD, email, browsing, while she sits and needle points.

Her present system works for her, and makes good sense to me as well. The only thing lacking in an Apple replacement would be the *convenient* built in DVD player.

-ERD50

I reckon it gives you something to do. Life's too short for me to wait for snail mail DVD. Eventually all movies go to the stream...

But I'm not asking for you or me, I'm asking for DW.

I don't watch DVDs from Netflix either, but it is irrelevant. The ones she wants to watch, and watch now, are on DVD. I'm doing this for her, not you or me.

-ERD50

That would be my route too. Find a decent Windows laptop with DVD on sale or used, load Linux, configure operation to be similar to what DW does today, and there ya go........

And really, while OP doesn't like Windows, he won't be using it. As long as DW can watch DVD's, check email and surf (all of which Windows seems to do fine AFAIK), why bother going to Linux on her little utility machine? ...

Yes, but I think she'd be fine with Linux, it should do everything she wants after I set it up for her needs. The reason she would not want Windows is that I do all the computer maintenance, debug and set up. And I don't like (or know much about how to maintain at this point) Windows, and have no desire to learn it, so that means she'd be responsible for that. She wouldn't like that.

If Windows were the only solution, it would be different, but I think the non-Windows options will work, I just gotta pick one.

-ERD50

I had the same problem --my old MacBook Pro was getting buggy and slow on the internet but I liked to use the built in DVD player occasionally. I got a new MacBook and of course it does not have a DVD player (but it is a lot lighter and thinner). I kept the old MacBook and still use it to play DVDs (don't need internet connection for that). Of course this would mean your wife would have to change from one laptop to the other when watching DVDs.

External USB drives are your only option but if you don't want to lug it around just connect the DVD drive to your router (most routers support external storage) and share it on your local network. You can also share a DVD drive on another PC in your home network.

External USB drives are your only option but if you don't want to lug it around just connect the DVD drive to your router (most routers support external storage) and share it on your local network. You can also share a DVD drive on another PC in your home network.

That's what I would try.

Back
Top Bottom