New Car

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
FYI...
a comparison of new car sales, so far in 2014.
img_1514464_0_91302fca7e2922491b19ab046d1baa28.jpg

America's favorite subject.
So:
Buy old, Buy new?
Style... Sedan, Van, Truck, other?
Make?
Why?

And... If I had my druthers?.....

Very interesting ... And God bless capitalism. Considering that each of those logos has about 5 models and each model has a pile of variations...what a plethora of choices. Very cool.

I did this drill about six mos ago. Go tired of fixing my 7 year old BMW (so unreliable) and bought a 1 year old Acura TL coming off of a fleet lease with about 7k miles on it. Got it with a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty for about $34-35k. Almost 20% below the original price and with a longer warranty.

My own bias it to buy slightly used, nice cars. The BMW was the only new car I ever owned -- I'd always wanted s BMW and went for it. Loved driving it but I will NEVER own a BMW out of bumper-to-bumper warranty again. My wife's minivan was also new but we're on Year 11 and still rolling...

Within reason, I think you can buy sort of whatever you want as long as you drive it for 7+ years and amortize the cost. The people who flip cars endlessly are the ones who get killed. (Fell into that trap young and thankfully learned.)

Within reason, I think you can buy sort of whatever you want as long as you drive it for 7+ years and amortize the cost. The people who flip cars endlessly are the ones who get killed. (Fell into that trap young and thankfully learned.)

I agree that the key is keeping the cars long-term. I have a bias toward new simply because when I watch the way that most people drive it looks like their goal is to destroy their cars as quickly as possible. We currently have a 12 year old Hyundai Elantra with 104K miles and a 5 year Elantra Touring with 19K miles. Amortized cost for the 12 year old (including purchase price, maintenance and repairs but not fuel and insurance) is on the order of $1200/year. Current ongoing ownership cost (Insurance, registration, inspections, oil change) is about $400/year for the 12 year old and $500/year for the 5 year old. Fuel and maintenance costs are less than $1000/year for both cars combined (our total miles for both cars will be about 7000 miles this year and that includes a round trip to Denver from Northern Virginia.

I've never seen the point of spending more than the minimum necessary for a reliable car (with the exception of the buying new vs. used argument) and I don't see a replacement purchase in the near future with fewer than 4000 miles per year being put on each vehicle. We are more likely to just cut back to single car ownership if the older car becomes unreliable.

Evidently Smart has not lived up to it's name...

Interesting to see Tesla is already outselling some other prestige marques.

As for buying new vs used, one brand vs another, there is no "right answer" - that's why there are so many choices.

And of course worldwide sales are considerably different than the US.

Last edited:
Speaking of cars has anyone seen the 2015 SS Chevy Impala......SHARP.

America's favorite subject.
So:
Buy old, Buy new? Style... Sedan, Van, Truck, other?
Make?
Why?

All of the above? If I was shopping for another vehicle, I'd buy whatever appealed to me at the time as long as I could get in and out of it without a ladder. :D It also can't be too low, because I am in my 60's and that just doesn't work for me. Easy access cargo space would be nice, as well as a good repair record. I prefer buying new.

"If I had my druthers", I'd be able to get a simple vehicle without so much electronics; one that isn't always telling me what to do and acting like a "nanny car". I'd gladly pay through the nose for such a vehicle, although actually I don't think this type of vehicle is even made at all any more at any price. Perhaps I could minimize the nanny aspects by choosing something cheap and bare bones. :( If I was mechanically inclined, I could get a 40 year old car and deal with it that way, but I'm not.

Last edited:
This is the one I'm about to pull the trigger on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 45
"Wow Serie what is it?"

New Lamborghini Huracan.

"Serie-ously? Sharp rig. Could increase your WR above 4% though."

Thanks! Yes, will order when I sell my Lamborghini Gallardo. We have a telecom next week with our financial planner to ensure wont effect plans for retirement in 3 years :)

Current Gallardo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 36
We buy new and keep them "forever" until it doesn't make sense to fix it anymore. The GMC pickup is 12 years old, 90k miles, Honda Accord is new, 14k miles, Suzuki motorcycle is 5 years old, has 25k miles. Last year I didn't ride much, hope to make up for it next year.

New Lamborghini Huracan.

Nice, but I'd better wait until I read the review in Consumer Reports. Odd that they haven't covered it yet. :whistle:

More seriously, that's an awesome machine. Have tons of fun in it!

"We buy new and keep them "forever" until it doesn't make sense to fix it anymore. The GMC pickup is 12 years old, 90k miles, Honda Accord is new, 14k miles, Suzuki motorcycle is 5 years old, has 25k miles. Last year I didn't ride much, hope to make up for it next year."

Us too. Here's a shot of my 10 year old Toyota (had since new) just about to cross the 156k mile mark. I sure hope we can get 300k out of her. My wife's IS350 is 9 years old and at 95k miles.

"Nice, but I'd better wait until I read the review in Consumer Reports. Odd that they haven't covered it yet."

Haha :)

"More seriously, that's an awesome machine. Have tons of fun in it!"

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 16
"Wow Serie what is it?"

New Lamborghini Huracan.

"Serie-ously? Sharp rig. Could increase your WR above 4% though."

Thanks! Yes, will order when I sell my Lamborghini Gallardo. We have a telecom next week with our financial planner to ensure wont effect plans for retirement in 3 years :)

Current Gallardo.

If you like Lambo's you might appreciate the new Alfa Romeo 4C, it would certainly be more ER budget friendly. http://www.firstvehicleleasing.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Alfa-Romeo-4C.jpg

I still like Porsches, but the Alfa deserves a look based on price/performance.

As a side note (not trying to steal the thread) my wife and I decided to go down to one vehicle, there has been maybe 1 or 2 times in the last two years we could have possibly used 2 cars, we ended up just going together......anyone else down to one car? (It is just the wife and I, no kids etc.)

I'm not much for buying new, but the DW does like the new cars, so I get the "hand me downs". :) I currently drive an '09 Infiniti with about 75K miles on it...and still drives like it's brand new. I do love that car and would like to hang on to it for as long as possible and with me averaging about 5K miles a year, it should be a while.

The DW has a Toyo Highlander that she really likes, but I am not so much a fan. All the Tupperware in the interior squeaks like mad as did the windshield. I took it to Toyo 3 times to have the windshield addressed, but it continued to squeak until it cracked and finally replaced. I just can't hold Toyota to such high regard as I once did.

Very interesting ...

Go[t] tired of fixing my 7 year old BMW (so unreliable) and bought a 1 year old Acura TL coming off of a fleet lease with about 7k miles on it. Got it with a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty for about $34-35k. Almost 20% below the original price and with a longer warranty....

My own bias it to buy slightly used, nice cars. The BMW was the only new car I ever owned -- I'd always wanted s BMW and went for it. Loved driving it but I will NEVER own a BMW out of bumper-to-bumper warranty again.

What an odd parallel. I too bought my first and only new car - also a BMW, also 7 years ago, for about $32K (a killer deal at the time with an MSRP of $46K). Unlike krotoole though, mine has been reliable as a stone. 135K miles and counting with the only repairs needed being the usual wear items (tires, shocks, brake pads, battery, various bushings, filters and fluids). Still runs great as fast as I dare go. Still gets 30 mpg at 80+ on the freeway. Hope I didn't just jinx it, but can't complain.

All that said, I'm enough of a frugal-nazi (and a decent enough shade tree mechanic) that this too will likely be my last new car.

As a side note (not trying to steal the thread) my wife and I decided to go down to one vehicle, there has been maybe 1 or 2 times in the last two years we could have possibly used 2 cars, we ended up just going together......anyone else down to one car? (It is just the wife and I, no kids etc.)

We only put about 7K on cars in total, and that was including 2 long trips last year. I'm thinking this year it will be closer to 10K with more trips.
I've brought up the idea of 1 vehicle as we go everywhere together normally.
However, I'm thinking to replace an 11 yr old Sonata with a Van, so we will have more room to pack stuff on trips and be able to tow a small travel trailer.
Not sure we would want to drive a van all the time.:confused:

I get it, we decided on keeping our Subaru Forester, it was kind of a mix between the two you describe, IMHO....

The info is very interesting...

Surprise to me is how many more Ford has sold over Toyota and Chevy... thought it would be closer.... guess most of that is due to the other names since Lincoln is pretty low..

Also surprised Mazda has sold so few.... I see lots of ads etc. for them for this low of sales...

I usually keep cars for 10 years or 100,000 miles... most hit the 10 year mark before the miles... loved my 10YO Acura, but totaled it with 52K miles... :(

What an odd parallel. I too bought my first and only new car - also a BMW, also 7 years ago, for about $32K (a killer deal at the time with an MSRP of $46K). Unlike krotoole though, mine has been reliable as a stone. 135K miles and counting with the only repairs needed being the usual wear items (tires, shocks, brake pads, battery, various bushings, filters and fluids). Still runs great as fast as I dare go. Still gets 30 mpg at 80+ on the freeway. Hope I didn't just jinx it, but can't complain.

All that said, I'm enough of a frugal-nazi (and a decent enough shade tree mechanic) that this too will likely be my last new car.

Wow...glad you had such a better experience! From memory the failures I went thru...

1). Electronics related to the BMW assist...$2500 (I declined to fix that)
2). Mirror control assembly...$1200...
3). Vapor barrier...$600 (passenger cabin would leak in the rain)
4). Molding/weather stripping (front and rear)...$500?
5). Something related to Spark plug wires...$300 per to replace...I did all six
6). Cup holder (not joking...they slid in/out...spring broke..$50)
7). Cracked wheel...$425 (can happen to anyone...but it was icing on the cake)

And they used these run-flat tires that didn't wear right and made horrific road noise -- would give you a headache on a long drive. They replaced the first pair for free. I replaced the second pair at full cost...$1200

...and when I sold the car it had 43000 miles on it...so, yeah, the car had three sets of tires before it hit 50K miles...

The on-board computer flaked out on the ride to drop it off and buy my acura. I was suddenly getting 99 MPG. It was like the car's way of telling me I was doing the right thing.

So all of that crap in a car that got driven about 6k miles/year. I will never have a BMW in my driveway again where I am reponsible for the maintenance.

1998 Lincoln Signature Town Car current 114K mi. bought in 2000 for $18K.
1996 Cadillac SLS current 77Kmi. bought in 2004 for $5K.
Total repairs over the years... Lincoln $1,000 A/C flapper, Cadillac $500 ignition switch.
Both still look exactly like the pics.
Sadly, will never buy another car in this lifetime.

'Druthers would be a 2012 Pontiac Solstice, but not sure I'd fit. :blush:

Attachments

• lincln.jpg
    lincln.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Cadillac.jpg
    Cadillac.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 14
Buy old, Buy new?
Style... Sedan, Van, Truck, other?
Make?
Why?

Style - Can't decide, that's why we still have three cages and one motorcycle; Porsche Boxster (why? Because as Peter Egan once wrote; "There are only so many [beautiful summer days and evenings]", Porsche Cayenne SUV (why? Goes anywhere anytime with passengers), Ford ratty high miles F150 pickup truck (why? Drives great & hauls whatever), and a BMW dual sport moto (why? Makes me smile every ride); bike was bought new 16 years ago, all others used - I let others take the depreciation hit and take my time looking for "the one." Knees are telling me the moto might as well go, but my heart says no.

If I had my druthers (and a helluva lot more money*1,000) - Porsche 918

Back
Top Bottom