New Coffeemaker

That looks like the one we had. Two things I hated -

1) (and I saw this pop up in the first couple of reviews I read), the little valve for the "Sneak-a-Cup feature - The Sneak-a-Cup feature temporarily stops the flow of coffee so you can pour your first cup before brewing ends without making a mess." would clog, and water/coffee would overflow the basket and run all over the counter top. Happened several times. Possible shock hazard.

2) The carafe is stainless steel, not glass (if this is the same as ours). The SS would collect a film of old coffee on it, even when rinsed carefully each day. Then had to use denture tablets every few months to clean it. A glass, or glass-lined thermal carafe rinses off with no build up.

-ERD50

Two comments...

1.) Those Sneak-A-Cup valves are the curse of the working class. One fellow would fill his cup with the first drippings leaving nothing but weak insipid tinted water for the rest of us. :D

2.) Fill the stainless steel carafe with hot water, add a packet or spoonful of dishwasher detergent. Shake. Let sit for an hour or two. Shake again. Pour out and rinse. That coffee patina should be gone. Works for me.

I used to use a 4-cup Mr. Coffee, which still sits on my countertop. It is flimsy, I agree, but cost less than $15 in 2014 when I bought it.

I admit, for the past few years I have transitioned to instant coffee. And now, instant decaf since coffee keeps me from sleeping at night.

I often heat up water and use a Melitta pour-over filter when I want an additional cup of coffee.

That reminds me! I have one of these Melitta cones, which I used to use now and then also. Works nicely, although obviously I don't use it any more now that I'm drinking instant decaf.

Honestly, right now with inflation skyrocketing and the market dropping, I am inclined to ramp up my LBYM efforts and forget about buying things I can do without, such as new coffee makers. YMMV

My wife bought a Cuisinart a number of years ago that we use in the morning. It is programmable, makes anywhere from 3 to 12 cups of coffee that stays in the coffee maker so you can dispense cups of coffee as you want. It is the only one like it that she could find that dispenses individual cups at a time. No carafes to break and no individual little plastic cups of preloaded coffee to deal with. If I want a single cup of coffee or tea I use a French Press.
Knowing how models change over time and the Cuisinart she bought may be discontinued one day I bought another to store for the day we may need another when they are no longer available. One of my few BTD.

Cheers!

That looks like the one we had. Two things I hated -

1) (and I saw this pop up in the first couple of reviews I read), the little valve for the "Sneak-a-Cup feature - The Sneak-a-Cup feature temporarily stops the flow of coffee so you can pour your first cup before brewing ends without making a mess." would clog, and water/coffee would overflow the basket and run all over the counter top. Happened several times. Possible shock hazard.

2) The carafe is stainless steel, not glass (if this is the same as ours). The SS would collect a film of old coffee on it, even when rinsed carefully each day. Then had to use denture tablets every few months to clean it. A glass, or glass-lined thermal carafe rinses off with no build up.

-ERD50

I never had an issue with the valve for the “pause and pour” feature.

It has a wide mouth and my XL hands can easily fit in there use a scrubby pad. My glass lined Mr Coffee carafe was prone to coffee stains too but it was harder to clean. I had to use a scrubby pad and push it around with a wooden spoon!

Try a bottle brush. I have a two piece set, a longer silicon one for carafes and water bottles and a skinny one for straws.

IMO, the best way to get a good cup of coffee is to get a burr grinder.

A proper burr grinder will improve the quality of coffee coming from any coffee maker that that uses ground coffee. The trick is to get the grind right. That might take a dozen experiments at most. I was amazed when I replaced my blade grinder with a burr grinder. Same beans bought at Costco for about $5 a pound and they tasted so much better.

IMO, the best way to get a good cup of coffee is to get a burr grinder.

A proper burr grinder will improve the quality of coffee coming from any coffee maker that that uses ground coffee. The trick is to get the grind right. That might take a dozen experiments at most. I was amazed when I replaced my blade grinder with a burr grinder. Same beans bought at Costco for about $5 a pound and they tasted so much better.

+1

If you want to take coffee to the next level buy green beans and roast your own, green coffee beans can be purchased in bulk and will store for a long time, just roast enough for a week or so. Previous threads on the forum discussing roasting coffee beans at home. It's hard to beat the Aeropress mentioned above at $29 for making a great cup of coffee.

Last edited:
I have an electric drip machine purchased in the mid-90's that's still working. I think I paid $8.00 at Longs Drugs back then. Very basic machine. It's in Arizona, so is not getting used right now. The newer ones don't last that long, so I usually pick up a $10 model on Black Friday every couple of years. Have a couple sitting on the shelf waiting their turn.

I have a Brew Express machine that is at least 10 years old, maybe 12 or 13. It is hard piped to my reverse osmosis system, so all I have to do is add coffee grounds. Makes great coffee. I used to only use it two days a week (weekends) when I was working, but it’s been getting used seven days for the last six years since I retired. If it ever quits on me, I hope I can find another one.

I agree about the Mr Coffee; we’ve had 2 in our early marriage and they only lasted about 4-5 years each. The programmable coffeemakers lasted even less. Finally, we purchased a Techivorm Moccamaster coffeemaker, in part because it was among the highest rated coffeemakers in consumer surveys. We use it with a Swiss Gold reusable coffee filter, and it does make some of best tasting coffee. We’ve had it 10 years now. It does cost a little more than your price range, but if ours broke today, we’d buy another.

OP, which coffeemaker did you finally decide on?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AR7SY Bought 7 years ago ($70 +tax) and still going strong. Very unusual product in that nothing was spent on fancy cosmetics or labeling. Everything was invested in designing and manufacturing quality mechanicals.

Yes, indeed. I got one of those Capresso grinders on the recommendation of @kevink, our forum's resident coffee expert. Great purchase.

Here's my 3rd coffee maker that I pull out when my Italian roots scream for more recognition.

iu

Quit buying cheap coffeemakers? Buy a great coffeemaker, that’ll last a lot longer, and have better coffee too.

My husband went to an old fashioned stove top perculator pot.

Simple, easy, inexpensive and good old fashioned coffee.

We use a Nnja that we bought at BJ’s wholesale club about five years ago. It works great and will also do specialty brews if you like I think it is around $100.

Coffeemaker

As usual a bit late to give my two cents to a thread. I was gifted a 1940's Wearever aluminum drip coffee pot 35 years ago. To make coffee, I first bring water to a boil in a vintage kettle. After it whistles the gas is turned off. By the time the coffee beans are ground in the Kitchen Aid coffee mill and the basket filled on the coffee pot, the water has cooled a bit for the maximum flavour extraction from the freshly ground coffee beans. Once the water has dripped though, the coffee is kept at the perfect temperature in the pot by having it sit on the tiny "warmer burner" on the 1922 Tappan Gas Range.

not being a snob here, but I have a Gaggia Accademia that husband gifted me about 5 years ago. It did develop a leak that he had to fix, but it has been WONDERFUL.
I never liked Starbucks anyway.
put the beans in the hopper, fill up the water tank, pick regular size coffe, long coffee, espresso, whatever.
Pricey but I love it.

After a couple of Mr. Coffees, I went back to basics and bough a good ol' fashioned electric percolator. We are now on our 2nd Farberware. The first one lasted about 20 years or so, and our current one is 7-10 years old:
https://tinyurl.com/BB-Farberware

I have one of those plug-in timers, plug this coffee maker the night before and have delicious coffee waiting for me when I wake up. I often heat up water and use a Melitta pour-over filter when I want an additional cup of coffee.
I find the perked coffee much better tasting than any other coffee makers.

Agree with the electric percolator, ours is a Presto and it makes delicious coffee. Doesn't boil the water as some people think. Alexa starts it every morning, though she sometimes forgets to plug in the pot. Also highly recommend Aeropress for single cup brews.

Technivorm Moccamaster. Makes outstanding drip coffee. Bought ours in 2013. Copper tubing heats the water to the correct temperature for brewing. Makes a smooth brew. The carafe is stainless and the newer models have a drip-through top. Bought one for family who we visit often and they love it, too.

We have had a Cuisinart since we got married in 2006. Just recently it started leaking a little. I went to buy a new one and they had a newer model on Amazon, but also the old model, like ours. I bought the old model since it has done so well.

Cuisinart DCC-1200P1 Brew Central 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker Coffee Maker, Carafe, Brushed Chrome

Cusinart

We are on our second Cuisinart (with the stainless carafe) and the first one lasted many, many, many years. Both the original and its eventual replacement made/make wonderful daily coffee and it is a highlight of our day (with our Henry's Blend coffee).

I've also given this model to others as gifts and everyone has loved them. I highly recommend Cuisinart at less than $125 on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom