New Coffeemaker

OP, which coffeemaker did you finally decide on?

While I'm researching...I nabbed (ahem, 'borrowed') my MIL's vintage percolator. I think I've scalded the roof off my mouth twice with that thing but man it makes a good cup~

Yes, the "old fashioned" percolators make a good cup, we are on our second one.

Also have a French press and a Keurig with latte maker/foamer.

The french press can make really strong coffee if you let it set a while, but coffee can get cooler.
Keurig is simplicity and variety with different pods or choices of ground coffee for the refillable pod
The percolator simply makes good, hot coffee, can be left plugged in for that hot afternoon cup.

We like the variety of choices and don't want to spend tons of money.

The coffee drinkers in our house (not me) use a pour over setup with a cone and filter into a Stanley thermos, then dose out of that for the day. If we have guests / visitors we break out the air pot (thermos with a pump-style top, like what they often have at the coffee break at conferences).

Our current thermos cone & thermos has been in use for 25 years with perfect reliability and zero issues. We compost the filters & used grounds for our garden, so also very minimal waste.

DH swears by the Zojirushi Zutto 5-cup drip machine, $73.95 on Amazon. His has been in service for 10 years. The only part that needs replacing (due to hard water) is a circular water filter above the basket, although I'm not sure when he last replaced it ��

I have a Brew Express machine that is at least 10 years old, maybe 12 or 13. It is hard piped to my reverse osmosis system, so all I have to do is add coffee grounds. Makes great coffee.

+10

I have 2 Machines, a Nespresso Lattissima One for Expresso and Lattes and a Keurig 2.0, both which I plumbed into my fridges water filter, using automatic float valves. Both have refillable pods that I feed as needed with my Burr Grinder. To me having to fill up water tanks is the weakest link in today's consumer coffee makers. You can just about see the plumbing systems on the 2 machines in the third pic.

Attachments

• 20220508_094932 (Medium).jpg
    20220508_094932 (Medium).jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220508_095032 (Medium).jpg
    20220508_095032 (Medium).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220508_095129 (Medium).jpg
    20220508_095129 (Medium).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 13
use a French Press, grind whole beans...

We used a French Press and ground our beans for years also,. Then we went to Italy and discovered a whole new world.

Upon our return, we bought a medium sized Moka pot (~$30) and make espresso style coffee. We also bought a manual milk frother (also around $30 on Amazon). We’ve been using this set up for 7 years now. It will probably last the rest of our lives.

The beans changed too. We were initially buying Kimbo Crema but have switched to Lavazza Crema. I’m not sure we’ll continue doing that after retirement as it’s definitely a splurge at $20/bag.

Technivorm Moccamaster. Makes outstanding drip coffee. Bought ours in 2013. Copper tubing heats the water to the correct temperature for brewing. Makes a smooth brew. The carafe is stainless and the newer models have a drip-through top. Bought one for family who we visit often and they love it, too.

The coffee drinkers in our house (not me) use a pour over setup with a cone and filter into a Stanley thermos, then dose out of that for the day. If we have guests / visitors we break out the air pot (thermos with a pump-style top, like what they often have at the coffee break at conferences).

Our current thermos cone & thermos has been in use for 25 years with perfect reliability and zero issues. We compost the filters & used grounds for our garden, so also very minimal waste.

THIS.

One of my "fetishes" is coffee makers. I've had many of various types: Perk, French Press, a couple different pour overs, many drip, Keurig (ugh), Vacuum, and so on, including manual expresso maker.

Taste wise, for coffee I've always felt that pour over produced the best tasting coffee. However, it requires manual effort - getting the water the right temperature (I use Oxo electric kettle with digital temperature control and goose neck to allow for good pour): https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Pour-Over/dp/B074KHPS7F - this produces great coffee but it requires too much effort (I'm lazy).

I finally gave in and bought a Technivorm Moccamaster. Mine looks like this (with the stainless steel canister but in gun metal gray): https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-M...ocphy=9004634&hvtargid=pla-310050982308&psc=1. I didn't want to buy it given the expense, but WOW DOES IT MAKE GREAT COFFEE!. Simple to use (I do put hot water in the carafe first and cold water in the reservoir), it just WORKS - I've never had a spill over or other issue with it.

So my morning ritual is to grind beans w/a conical grinder that I've owned since the mid 80's, and use the Mocoamaster. It is simply the best coffee maker I've ever owned - the taste of pour over (which it does) along with the simplicity of drip.

I use my coffee maker EVERY DAY, and sometimes 2X per day. I try to limit caffeine by having a double expresso (but half cafe) followed up by a pot of coffee that is either all or mostly decaf. (Yes, I know that even the best decaf pales to having great caffeinated beans - sigh.)

We used a French Press and ground our beans for years also,. Then we went to Italy and discovered a whole new world.

Upon our return, we bought a medium sized Moka pot (~$30) and make espresso style coffee. We also bought a manual milk frother (also around $30 on Amazon). We’ve been using this set up for 7 years now. It will probably last the rest of our lives.

The beans changed too. We were initially buying Kimbo Crema but have switched to Lavazza Crema. I’m not sure we’ll continue doing that after retirement as it’s definitely a splurge at $20/bag.

I also (sometimes) use my Moka pot. I have an electric milk frother, and frequently use Lavazza Super Crema Espresso - good stuff in my expresso maker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SDKDM4/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1. To the regular coffee drinkers, this is not for your drip machine - it is a mix of Arabica and Robusta. Regarding the expense of it, it has gone up in price (A LOT). My Amazon shopping history shows that I have bought it (2.2# bag) for $12.74 in Nov. 2020! ($31 on Amazon as I look now.)

Back
Top Bottom