New Construction - Options you wish you had included/those you could've lived without

Consider things that will make it easier to age in place. This includes wider hallways and doors to accommodate a walker/wheelchair, door handles instead of door knobs, motion sensing lighting in hallways and closets. When building. put in the supports for shower bars, etc. but do not install until needed. just take photos as it is being built so you can easily install them when needed. And things like an elevated toilet can easily be installed later (as long as you don't have a permanent shelf or something right over the toilet).
Keep all floors level - no 6" sunken family room or something - a trip waiting to happen. You might want to make your entrance with a ramp instead of steps in case it is needed later. Pocket doors or a sliding barn door might be good too.
Consider zones for heating and cooling.
Consider an area that can be carved out as an "in-law" suite in case you need live in help or a family member needs help.
Consider the flooring - is it something that could easily become slick? Would it be difficult to navigate in a walker? Is it something that would be cold in the winter?
Could you have a 3-season room or sun room you could use all year round? This might be great to get sunlight when you cannot go outside for some reason. 2 rooms that can be office/hobby areas. Keeps these activities from cluttering up the rest of the house and helps resale too.
A full laundry or else a smaller stackable laundry unit (in addition to a full laundery elsewhere) near the MBR. that's where the majority of the items to be washed will come from anyway and you won't have to schlep through the whole house.
Have at least 3 bedrooms. 2 bathrooms and 3 garage bays - this is for resale. But you only need 1 bathroom with a bathtub. Showers for the rest are fine. And have extra storage available in the garage! Extra high garage doors and deep bays is a great resale feature (big enough for many pickups). Plus extra area around each car spot to allow for wheelchair/walkers maneuvering (and a ramp down to the garage from the house instead of steps).
If it is a two story home, have a MBR on each level so if you can no longer go up the stairs, you don't have to move. But I am a believer that people should go up/down stairs for exercise and eliminating them only results in decay. So bee upstairs until you can no longer manage that (And have enough on the main level so you can just live there if you need to).
An instant hot water dispenser at the sink. You will find that you can easily cook food, make hot tea, etc. without using a microwave.
And PLEASE do not put the microwave over the stove! Especially with weak hands this is a burn unit casualty just waiting to happen!

We ran telephome wire to many rooms in the house in our 2010-2011 rebuild. A total waste of money... with today's good cordless phones we never used it for anything.

And while we didn't wire for data that would have been a waste of money too. Wi-fi works fine though I did need to add a wi-fi extender to get wi-fi and streaming in the garage.

Coax came in handy as I have an attic antenna and the coax distributes the antenna signal to our 4 different tvs, but the Fire TV Recast that we recently added makes the coax redundant too... I could have the Recast attached to the antenna and then video is distributed from the Recast to the tvs via wi-fi.

Blink security cameras are wi-fi as well.

Last edited:
It's a lot easier to build a safe into a wall or the floor during the construction stage.

Solar panels. There are innovative financing solutions to acquire them.

Hail-resistant roofing shingles if you live in an area that gets hail.

Give a lot of thought to the position of switches & what switch controls what. Also, get the bigger switch/plug plates so you can upgrade to wi-fi or voice control later.

USB connectors everywhere sounds good but in a couple of years, it may be like inter-room intercom systems since battery capacity seems to be increasing steadily.

Our world is getting warmer. Our A/C is just barely sized for our house/climate. I would have opted for a multi-stage A/C with a higher max output.

We have a cable & power outlet in the attic. I have a OTA antenna up there that works wonderfully. Be aware that solar panels may block tv signals.

If you think a finished basement will make for better future resale, finish it. We didn't and the cost & inconvenience to do so now is a major hindrance.

Friends of ours love their induction stovetop. Also generates less heat. We love having 2 ovens. If cooking is your thing, pay attention to the appliance quality.

And - goes without saying in this community - pay attention to your budget :)

Some of you mentioned blocking for grab bars. If that's not routinely done in all the right places by builders then I wonder if they'd get it right or if you'd have to do the research and show them exactly where to put the blocking, or hire another expert to work with the builders on that.

Either way, a new home would have normal studs that are easy to work with. Retrofitting it with blocking would be a breeze compared to the technique I'm using for my bathroom. There's only one type of construction video that can't be found on YouTube, and that's how to attach a grab bar to walls made with a cement and sand tile base on a scratch coat on diamond lath tied to 1/2" channel studs. I invented my own technique. It caused me to get tennis elbow from chiseling away the scratch coat and I never finished it. I may just abandon the blocking idea and put the tile back without it since I'm not sure how well it would work.

Attachments

• behind-grab-bar-3.jpg
    behind-grab-bar-3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 23
New Construction

1. Curculatuon pump on water system to have instant hot water everywhere. You must use a larger diameter pex to prevent leak. Also check your pressure post construction and keep adjusted house pressure below 60
2. Wire for a level 2 electric car charger now in the garage where your driver rear wheel will be. Must be a dedicated 220 volt 50 amp, 6 ought ( not 8 ought ) wiring with a “ clothes dryer plug”. Everyone will have it in 10 years and cheap to do now during build.
3. On one of your outside freezeproof hose bibs where you park, make it a double hot/cold bib so you have hot water to wash cars/dogs. Easy. Cheap
4. Put the same in back if you might have a pool and want an outside shower
5. Wire for possible future pool to back of house electrical box
6. Walk up stairway to attic. Easy now
7. Plug-in for wall mounted air compressor in garage with switch
8. Thickened concrete in garage or house for future tornado shelter
9. If single story or otherwise make closet heights framed to at least 10 foot for three layers Hangul. Design top level for Hefele closet pull downs
10. Pour more concrete parking and wider entrances now than you want or can afford and you will be glad later
11. Put out side weatherproof 20-30-50 box forRV along with sewer clean out if close by
12. Make at least one garage door taller so you or next people can own van. Even to 10-12 foot. Looks fine
13. Soffet receipts with garage switch for Christmas lights

USB connectors everywhere sounds good but in a couple of years, it may be like inter-room intercom systems since battery capacity seems to be increasing steadily.

I wonder how necessary this really is...every device comes with a USB adapter that plugs into an ordinary wall socket.

USB

To me: not important. Waste
If to you, just add combo receipts that has both.

Just finished a 4br 4 bath for daughter and it had everything she could want

If there will be an in wall ironing board, make sure stud opening 14 1/2” and put a recept in the wall below the place to cutout

Wall reading lamps on each side of beds with separate switch legs

As soon as or during framing, go into your attic and lay down attic flooring before electrician starts to run his wires. If you wait then you will have to knotch out for each wire. Pay the framer cash or do it yourself. Easy

I just thought of another one...consider where the TV placement will be so that you prevent window glare on the TV screen during the day.

I just thought of another one...consider where the TV placement will be so that you prevent window glare on the TV screen during the day.
That is something I'd bet most people would never think about. Thanks.

That is something I'd bet most people would never think about. Thanks.

I have it. To prevent it I either have to close the curtains which I really hate doing on a sunny winter day or use a privacy screen that sticks out and gets in the way.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is to be sure to consider the "sight lines" when choosing/designing room layouts. Example: Not a good idea to locate a bathroom at the end of a hallway where the toilet is in clear view when the bathroom door is opened. That's the #1 complaint DW has about our floor plan.

Edit: Fortunately the bathroom is large enough to use a privacy screen to block the view from the opened door.

Last edited:
^^
Even with an ensuite where the bathroom isn't visible from another part of the house it's better to look at a sink or shower stall than a toilet when the door is open.

Similar to sight lines, take consideration with window placement. For example, if you have a room at the end of a hallway and like to keep windows open for airflow, then locating the window where it can be seen from the hallway will provide an easier path for air movement. Locating bedroom windows in line with the doors also promotes air flow.

We had all of our electrical outlets placed 4 inches above standard. I was told that standard height was the length of a contractor hammer. Our Electricians just made a 2x4 4 inches longer and used that. This has been fantastic.

Why? I think the usual height is a nice balance between plugs and cords that head to the floor (eg, floor lamp) and to a table. I also think receptacles four inches higher would look "weird" to most American eyes.

No one with any back issues that cause pain when bending would ever think to ask that question. Wish I'd thought of it.

If a two story with bedrooms upstairs, frame in a laundry drop in the wall above laundry. Wife loved it. Kids dropped clothes down to laundry basket built into laundry wall with door opening

One thing that sold us on our house in PA is that the laundry room is right next to the master bedroom-on the second floor and across the hall from the linen closet. Better than a drop chute. It also has a huge free standing sink.

Based on the thread talking about a small tankless for under the kitchen sink, if possible locate the HW tank as close as possible to where it will be used the most.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is to be sure to consider the "sight lines" when choosing/designing room layouts.

When I designed our house, I made sure there was a straight path from the front door to every room in our house for getting furniture in and out.

I've helped far too many people move where you had to carry a couch or bed down a narrow hallway, then somehow make a 90 degree turn through a narrow doorway. The contortions and gymnastics required always ended up dinging up the walls and/or ceiling. Worst yet, a couple times the only way to get furniture in or out was through a window.

Curbless shower - easier to clean, universal design
Electrical outlet behind every toilet - for the fancy washlet you might install
Upgraded bath fans - Panasonic WhisperGreen - quiet is better
Radiant floor heating in bath
Towel warmer in master bath - We bought Runtal (made in Germany)

I wish that I had done an all brick exterior instead of brick and siding. I am pleased that I chose 9 foot ceilings on the first floor with larger moldings and flat drywall ceilings through out the house. I also built two stairways to the second floor and one would have been fine.

Regarding staircases, I've seen too many of them in the middle of a house that blocks the flow. Put them along an outside wall if possible.

Also, if you have a basement do not put the stairs to the basement too close to an outside door. The most used door in our house opens right next to the basement stairs and has a small landing. We hate it. Not only is there no room and it's a safety hazard, in winter when you open the door it sends a blast of cold air into the basement.

Curbless shower - easier to clean, universal design
Electrical outlet behind every toilet - for the fancy washlet you might install
Upgraded bath fans - Panasonic WhisperGreen - quiet is better
Radiant floor heating in bath
Towel warmer in master bath - We bought Runtal (made in Germany)

Dave you & I could pick out furniture together (something my late wife would say all the time) I just bought a home & am retrofitting most of this list. the bath fans bug me no end. Loud & don't move much air. I think I'm at 5 or 6 right now. Central vac guy coming tomorrow. Shower demo guy has been called. Heated tile floor on order

I was just wishing there were adjustable shelves in one of my upper kitchen cabinets. I want to put a big utensil jar in one of them. I don't like utensil jars on the counter because the lesser used utensils will gather dust. It's more convenient to have them a bit above my head than in a lower cabinet, plus hot air rises so I like food to be down below. But there's not enough height in the upper cabinets because of the three shelves. I wish I could remove the middle shelf.

Back
Top Bottom