New Construction - Options you wish you had included/those you could've lived without

I was just wishing there were adjustable shelves in one of my upper kitchen cabinets. I want to put a big utensil jar in one of them. I don't like utensil jars on the counter because the lesser used utensils will gather dust. It's more convenient to have them a bit above my head than in a lower cabinet, plus hot air rises so I like food to be down below. But there's not enough height in the upper cabinets because of the three shelves. I wish I could remove the middle shelf.

Maybe keep only the frequently-used utensils in the jar on the counter and put the others "flat" into a pull-out drawer?

Maybe keep only the frequently-used utensils in the jar on the counter and put the others "flat" into a pull-out drawer?

Yeah, that would work but currently I have two pull-out draws - the junk draw and the silverware draw, and there's no room in the silverware draw. I'd have to put the junk somewhere else. For now I have three steins full of utensils on the top shelf of the top kitchen cabinet (the top shelf has the most head room), plus stuff hanging on the door of a lower cabinet, and a French rolling pin diagonally on top of the silverware.

Perhaps you have older wall cabinets, because ours all have adjustable shelves... and yes, they are convenient.

Is it possible to remove the shelf and then screw cleats on each side of the inside ot the cabinet to relocate the offending shelf higher? You might ruin the shelf in the process of removing it but could buy a replacement laminated shelf at Home Depot or Lowes and trim it to fit.

Perhaps you have older wall cabinets, because ours all have adjustable shelves... and yes, they are convenient.

Is it possible to remove the shelf and then screw cleats on each side of the inside ot the cabinet to relocate the offending shelf higher? You might ruin the shelf in the process of removing it but could buy a replacement laminated shelf at Home Depot or Lowes and trim it to fit.

I considered it. Since you say it's a thing, I guess I'll reconsider it. I don't care about ruining that section of shelf but it's probably a structural member and I'd somehow reinforce the cabinet if I did that. First I'd confirm there's wood blocking in the wall. If not, I wouldn't try it.

I guess it depends on how tall you are, but you could keep a shallow tray on the bottom of your upper cabinet and stow your utensils flat in that. I tested in in my own cabinets and they would be easy to see and reach for me (I'm 5'10"). You actually probably wouldn't even need a tray, as long as you put a piece of wood across the front to keep them from sliding out.

I guess it depends on how tall you are, but you could keep a shallow tray on the bottom of your upper cabinet and stow your utensils flat in that. I tested in in my own cabinets and they would be easy to see and reach for me (I'm 5'10"). You actually probably wouldn't even need a tray, as long as you put a piece of wood across the front to keep them from sliding out.

Yeah, I'll keep them flat but I may move them to the middle shelf because I'll never get used to them below the spices.

Back
Top Bottom