New Desktop or Tablet?

Thankfully I had all my precious data backed up x3: laptop, external hard drive, and DVDs. I'm keeping the hard drive and allowing the PC repairer to donate/recycle the PC remnants to a local charity.

I used to connect a larger external monitor, keyboard and mouse to a netbook when I traveled often. The netbook was underpowered so I eventually got rid of it.

I'm sure each (desktop, laptop, tablet serve their purpose). Kind of like if one had multiple vehicles.

Many laptops have the ability to drive large external monitors, so you can get one and set it up just like a desktop (with extra keyboard, mouse, monitor).

Personally, I like the desktop for the power (extra CPUs), noise (fans are much quieter since they are larger and run at lower RPM), leaving all peripherals plugged in, and extra disk space (ability to put in multiple 3.5 hard drives internally). But I actually have all three (desktop,laptop,tablet).

Using a high end laptop as one's main computer is a great solution for us here in New Orleans, because it is easy to take along on hurricane evacuations. I still have an old desktop computer, but I seldom use it for anything except a third storage location for backups. There is also a sense of security in having lots of computer redundancy just in case.

I use my high end laptop the most, by far. That is what I am typing on at the moment, for example. I use my iPad more later in the day, when I am sleepy and my high end laptop begins to seem oh so heavy...
6978-albums71-picture641.gif

I do a lot of my surfing, Excel + Word docs on a desktop with a large monitor. I wouldn't try that Excel work on DW's 17 inch laptop except in a pinch. Also a large monitor lets you more seamlessly have several windows open at once. All this depends on how you want to work (play).

Also have a Kindle Fire which serves for trips as a book reader plus tablet. Seems 7 inch (and thus very mobile) tablets are "app centric" due to the small monitor size, i.e. generalized web use like Yahoo Mail is a lot better using an app if it exists for your needs.

I am curious about the other more small low cost tablets that are out there now like the Samsung -- any comments as to how they compare to a Kindle Fire? I am guessing the Samsung and Google tablets in the $200 range are faster but what else makes them preferable to a Kindle Fire?

Last edited:
For me a desktop plus a tablet is just about the ideal setup.

These days we each have a laptop, with large monitor and full size wireless keyboard and mouse for when we are home.

I got an iPad tablet at Christmas, which we'll use while flying abroad and since I do a fair amount of typing I also got a Logitech bluetooth keyboard to use with it, and it works great, sits neatly on my lap or on a table, but for serious work with spreadsheets and such, I prefer the laptop with full size keyboard and mouse.

My old desktop died last November and I picked up a smaller 14" laptop (ultrabook) instead of a new desktop. It's great for traveling, very light weight, good battery life, and more then powerful enough for my needs. I also have a 17" laptop, I like the screen size for home use but it's a little bulky for traveling. For me a laptop offers so much more flexibility, it can be taken and used just about anywhere, with a desktop you're stuck in one spot.

When I got home from a cruise a year ago to find that my #$%^& desktop would not turn on at all - turned out to be a corroded motherboard - I decided to go with a laptop. But I got one with an upgraded video/graphics card and 8G of RAM. I've been totally happy with my choice. I already had a 24" monitor - I have the laptop on the desk and attached a keyboard and mouse so I now have two monitors which I've found I like a lot. I never really have gotten good at a touch pad so I like the mouse. It cost $800 (for the laptop) which seemed reasonable, plus a little to move my entire hard drive contents to the new machine (luckily it was intact).

I also got - for travel - an 11" PC which I love. Since I do a lot of typing I wanted something with a "real" full size keyboard. It works for me. I'm writing a memoir - maybe some day I'll finish it. :)

So now I'm thinking of getting a kindle or something for travel when I won't need the PC... :D

I haven't investigated tablets per se at all though.

got a kindle in january-love it

Yes. I won't buy another laptop. My iPad and keyboard case serves as a laptop and the rare time I need more windows application functionality while mobile, I remote into my desktop. The desktop is essentially a media server.

I also have a Nexus 7 mobile and don't need a laptop. I may replace the Nexus with an iPad Mini when/if a retina version is released.

I have an office with a Desktop, desk, 23 in monitor, all in 1 printer and filing cabinet where I do most of my serious work. Desktops are reasonably priced, powerful, run cool and are easily upgraded with no battery to replace. With USB hard drive backup, very secure.

A tablet lets me relax, lean back and surf, read email and do basic research while watching other media. Plus travel with a tablet is easy and efficient. Not much need for a bulky laptop IMO.

Get both...
Try Googling "Walmart refurbished desktops"...
Always changing... Mine (just bought it) is an off lease 2007 HP Compaq...
4 gig Ram dual core AMD ... works faster than I can think, so it's fine for what I do...no gaming or music/photo stuff. $148. Windows 7. Nice part is Walmart 100% warranty for 90 days... Good in my case as the first one had a little problem... I called the vendor, and received a replacement in 2 days... (30 days to return the bad one, prepaid)... Can't beat that.
I always look at Walmart, after I go to Amazon. My guess is that Walmart online, ships from many vendors... direct... with items that they don't carry in the stores, and very often at a lower price than the same brands in competitor stores.
A little off topic, but about saving info from older non-working computer: For about $10 or less, there is a USB converter from SATA, PATA or IDE drives, so you can download and save info from the drives, without going inside the computer. Well worth the investment.
We have tons of computers... my toys... mostly ones that people have given up on because of small problems, or old models, with operating systems equal to their year of mfgr... DOS 2.0, Dos 3.0, Windows 3.11, 95,98, 98SE, XP, XP Pro, Windows 7... Plus an ADAM and a Sinclair. All stacked neatly. Exercise for the brain to go back and play with.
Can't get used to the tablet. It's a cheapy, and works ok, but holding it isn't fun, and the small screen is a bit too small for these old eyes.
No use for the laptop, as we don't go anywhere for the period of time where it would be useful. At home, just use it as a desktop, driving a wide screen monitor.
My 4 sons, in their late 40's early 50's all swear by the Samsung and Iphones. I can't justify the $80/mo, two year contract. What if I don't live that long? And DW would have a heart attack if I ever lost or dropped a $500 phone.
Besides... I consider that I'm doing my part to help the environment by avoiding "Mall Pollution". Those are the people we have to dodge as we do our mall walking exercises. Drives me crazy to see about 1/3 of the people either talking, watching, tweeting, or playing games as they walk from store to store with that damned thing that didn't exist 10 years ago. :mad:

Now, let's see, what was the subject?:angel:

I'm thinking along the same lines. I'd like a powerful PC with lots of HD storage & programs to work on finances, audio/video recording, writing, photo editing, etc. And a tablet just to surf and do other lighter stuff when I'm outside the home. So I've decided to use my 6-year-old 17" HP laptop as my primary PC for the time being. It works just fine, but is getting old in 'puter years. I'll keep a lookout for a good desktop, taking my time for the right unit at the right price.

Meanwhile, I spent the past few days online and at local stores looking at desktops & tablets. Today, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2(7.0) (with Jelly Bean) at Costco for $200. It's dark red. I saw a similar product for $180 (best price) elsewhere. B&H sells the same product for $210. But the Costco one came with the $50 magnetic book cover. (Samsung itself sells this unit/cover for $220.)

Plus the $200 goes toward my Costco Executive rebate total; and then there's their 90-day "no questions asked" refund policy, two-year warranty, and Costco Concierge Technical Support for two years. Practically a no-brainer.

Now comes the learning curve, cause I've never had a tablet, or even a smart phone, before.

2Q==
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2.jpg

2Q==

Last edited:
Birdie Nun Nuns. I like that name by the way. Here is a desktop that is a good deal. I have bought thousands of dollars from this company since 2001 and never a bad deal. I could say they are by far the number one seller on the internet. This setup should suit you fine as it has windows 7 and not the dreaded 8. Take a look. I could not ever build one for that price

Gateway DX4870-UR21P (DT.GDDAA.007) No Screen Desktop PC Intel Core i5 2320(3.00GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2000 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - Newegg.com

What kind of computer do you have now? Is it running XP, Vista or maybe you installed 7 on it? I am currently running a system I built in January 2007 and it is fast. I did buy windows 7 64 bit last year and added 4 more gigs of ram for a total of 6. I would probably find a motherboard if mine went out on ebay and continue to use it. The benchmark test has it up in the top. It has the core duo CPU and will do most anything I throw at it.

Used motherboards are cheap sometimes on ebay if you are 100% sure that's what wrong with it? They are real easy to install also. I have replaced one in less that 15 minutes. You will not be able to do that with a laptop.
I only use my laptop when I travel as I cannot stand to have something sitting in my lap. I also have a Samsung 24 inch screen on my desktop as I am over 65 and need to large screen for better viewing. If you buy a laptop and after the warranty goes then you have something like a board go south you are stuck. A desktop can be repaired quite easy, at least for me. Good luck on you pick. For me I will always use a desktop. oldtrig

Birdie Nun Nuns. I like that name by the way. Here is a desktop that is a good deal. I have bought thousands of dollars from this company since 2001 and never a bad deal. I could say they are by far the number one seller on the internet. This setup should suit you fine as it has windows 7 and not the dreaded 8. Take a look. I could not ever build one for that price

Gateway DX4870-UR21P (DT.GDDAA.007) No Screen Desktop PC Intel Core i5 2320(3.00GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2000 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - Newegg.com

What kind of computer do you have now? Is it running XP, Vista or maybe you installed 7 on it? I am currently running a system I built in January 2007 and it is fast. I did buy windows 7 64 bit last year and added 4 more gigs of ram for a total of 6. I would probably find a motherboard if mine went out on ebay and continue to use it. The benchmark test has it up in the top. It has the core duo CPU and will do most anything I throw at it.

Used motherboards are cheap sometimes on ebay if you are 100% sure that's what wrong with it? They are real easy to install also. I have replaced one in less that 15 minutes. You will not be able to do that with a laptop.
I only use my laptop when I travel as I cannot stand to have something sitting in my lap. I also have a Samsung 24 inch screen on my desktop as I am over 65 and need to large screen for better viewing. If you buy a laptop and after the warranty goes then you have something like a board go south you are stuck. A desktop can be repaired quite easy, at least for me. Good luck on you pick. For me I will always use a desktop. oldtrig

Dead desktop & current laptop run W7. A motherboard replacement requires today's CPU & other modern components hooked to it, because older PC components are no longer available, which makes a "simple" motherboard replacement not as simple as it may appear--therefore it is not "cost effective."

Last edited:
Desktops offer more for your money but these days people are used to taking their computers all over the house or outside the home.

I'm looking to buy an iMac with a big hard drive and will be using it for photos mainly.

But I'd expect to do a lot of the surfing on the couch or in bed with the iPad.

For tablets you may save on other brands but you may find that you'll want to try out and regularly use apps. In that case there is no contest. Most Android apps are made for phones, not tablets.

Desktops offer more for your money but these days people are used to taking their computers all over the house or outside the home.
This is one reason I do not want a laptop. I don't even want a smart phone, I am concerned that I might get mugged and all my info would be in some damn hood's hands. The most street-wise guys I know don't carry much of any value. I have a tablet, but I don't put anything on it. I could lose it, but not any information.

Ha

This is one reason I do not want a laptop. I don't even want a smart phone, I am concerned that I might get mugged and all my info would be in some damn hood's hands. The most street-wise guys I know don't carry much of any value. I have a tablet, but I don't put anything on it. I could lose it, but not any information.

Ha

I use full disk encryption on my laptops (truecrypt), Windows 8 Pro comes with Bitlocker which is another encryption tool.

I moved to using a laptop as my desktop a few years back. I use an external keyboard/mouse, and I can connect an external monitor. Even a smallish external (19") goes a long way, as you have the laptop screen plus the external (I use 'extended' mode, not 'mirror' - mirror just gives you the same thing on two monitors).

But the 'workspaces' in Ubuntu (Xubuntu 12.04 to be precise, and it is named 'Precise') work so well and easy, that I rarely bother - I keep different things on different 'workspaces' and easily switch between them. It's a bit like having 4 monitors, or 6 or as many as you want, and you flip between them, which reduces the crowding on a single screen. It also organizes my work - taxes on one workspace, email on a second, a few utilities on a third, hobby sites on a 4th, ER on a 5th, news/misc on a 6th, and in a click I can add one if I want another 'blank slate'. Plus, you can just drag a doc/app from one workspace to another if you want to re-organize what you are doing. It's a snap, far better than how Apple attempted this in 'Spaces' or whatever they call it.

But the reasons given for using a desktop have me re-thinking. But I think I'll still go with a laptop for my desktop, The reason is, when I replace my current laptop, I think I will have more uses for an old laptop than I would an old desktop. I can easily re-purpose this laptop as a portable music server. Even if the battery is poor, I can use it plugged in - but it would take up far less room, and be easier to move from room to room, or take outside the home than an old desktop. This laptop can sit inconspicuously with my stereo, just close the lid when not in use, and it's barely there. The built in keyboard/trackpad are good enough for this kind of use. I have my music program set up so that most routine tasks can be done with a few keystrokes, I don't need to touch the trackpad at all.

But of course, each persons needs/wants are different. Just my POV for my situation.

-ERD50

Get a laptop with a docking station. Best of both laptop and desktop worlds. Dell latitude and Lenovo thinkpad.

I use full disk encryption on my laptops (truecrypt), Windows 8 Pro comes with Bitlocker which is another encryption tool.

Yup iOS devices have that. Plus you can remotely lock, wipe and locate them.

They also automatically back up if you sync with a cable to your computer or to iCloud wirelessly.

There hasn't been this epidemic of data loss/theft despite hundreds of millions of smart phones and tablets out there, with no doubt millions of them lost or stolen every year.

I'll probably never own a desktop again. I traveled a lot for my last job and am now very used to a laptop and the convenience of a laptop. We are exclusively Lenovo and have found they are very durable. DS bought an Asus that died a couple year's later so he is now using one of my older Lenovos. We had one onl one where the screen went bad but that is the only problem ever.

I am considering a Fire 8.9 for lite browsing but for me, desktops=boat anchors.

I bought a new desktop a year ago (to replace one that was 7+ years old). I also have a 6-year old small laptop and 3-year old net book that I bought (as it's 1/2 the weight of the small laptop).

I only use the netbook when traveling. My small Dell laptop never gets used now.

I was recently visiting my BIL and sister. Although I had the netbook with me, I used his large laptop while at their place (as it has a larger screen and faster response time than my netbook). I did often get tired of the weight and size of the laptop after lengthy sessions reading online.

I was VERY happy to get back to my desktop when I returned home...it has a large, bright screen and it's fast, and I don't have to support it while I'm using it.

I am still toying with getting either a tablet or mini-tablet to replace the netbook for traveling. I have a smart phone, so I 'get' (and love) the advantages of having a portable computer with me, but I think that a tablet or mini-tablet might offer a better usability factor for reading more online material than the smart phone.

omni

With my Kindle Fire a little web surfing while at home or traveling is doable. But trying to type in a few words into Google with a stylus seems trying at times.

Today I was reading a library book and wanted to look up a place in Scotland. Took the Kindle out and typed the place name into Google which gave me a map. But just using the stylus to type in that name was an error filled process (for me, in this instance). Is there a better way? Would the Kindle version of the book allow me to go through a place name link to a Google map? -- probably not but would be nice and a useful upgrade.

A keyboard would be nice but then that adds weight and reduces simplicity. I guess an Ipad might help in that respect with the on screen keyboard. But then one has a larger, heavier tablet to lug around. Trade offs.

Maybe I should budget for an Ipad + Kindle book purchases? Then I guess I could read the book on the Ipad and open up another window to do the map search. Maybe that would be a solution? But we are avid library users.

Maybe I should budget for an Ipad + Kindle book purchases? Then I guess I could read the book on the Ipad and open up another window to do the map search. Maybe that would be a solution? But we are avid library users.

I have both an iPad 2 and a 2nd generation Kindle and I think that is an excellent solution. With the Kindle app for iPad, I can read my downloaded books on both devices. When in bright light the Kindle works best. The iPad shows the book in full color and it is a simple matter to bookmark the page before searching on a map. Downloading is easy and the book shows up on both devices as soon as they are able to access wireless.

I have both an iPad 2 and a 2nd generation Kindle and I think that is an excellent solution. With the Kindle app for iPad, I can read my downloaded books on both devices. When in bright light the Kindle works best. The iPad shows the book in full color and it is a simple matter to bookmark the page before searching on a map. Downloading is easy and the book shows up on both devices as soon as they are able to access wireless.
I read that the iPad 2 (but apparently not the iPad) can multitask. On the iPad 2 couldn't one just read the book in one window and look up the map in another? Still trying to learn about what I'm missing.

Back
Top Bottom