To buy a desktop computer/Related Q's

Don't replace the hardware, replace the operating system. Windows is so bloated and unnecessary for many people.

Try ChromeOS Flex as an alternative. https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/?sjid=11928927057111500321-NA

It can take an old pc and give it a new life. My system is from 2008 and runs like a scalded dog. It boots from power off to login in about 5 seconds.

Simple to build a bootable USB stick, which allows you to test drive it without any changes to your PC.

I'm just going to add my opinion as a long time PC user from the early 80s. I started using an IBM PC at the mega corp in the early 80s and had the misfortune of dealing with operating systems from DOS to Windows 10. By the time I retired, we were constantly dealing with OS patches every week and remote reboots on computers that were static, but had to work in a factory setting.
After I retired, I had a Windows 10 laptop computer that would literally burn my legs if I tried to use it wearing shorts because it was always doing some sort of upgrade in the background and pumping out the heat.
When the time came to replace it, I decided to go with a Mac laptop since I had been using an iPhone for a couple of years, and it had been flawless and seems to be built really well. Long story short, I have never regretted that decision and I will never own another Microsoft product ever again. I now own an iPhone, MacBook Pro, Mac mini PC and 2 Apple TV's.

Don't replace the hardware, replace the operating system. Windows is so bloated and unnecessary for many people.

Try ChromeOS Flex as an alternative. https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/?sjid=11928927057111500321-NA

It can take an old pc and give it a new life. My system is from 2008 and runs like a scalded dog. It boots from power off to login in about 5 seconds.

Simple to build a bootable USB stick, which allows you to test drive it without any changes to your PC.

But can you run tax software on your machine :confused:

I am by no means against the ChromeOS for people who have the limited needs that it can serve. However, for many (such as me) I run software that really does require Windows or, in some cases, Mac.

FWIW, I bought a Mac notebook which is truly nice (I have an iPhone and Apple Watch) but I am about to buy an inexpensive Windows notebook so I can easily do certain things with an OS that I have used for many many years.

Last edited:
I am by no means against the ChromeOS for people who have the limited needs that it can serve. However, for many (such as me) I run software that really does require Windows or, in some cases, Mac.

FWIW, I bought a Mac notebook which is truly nice (I have an iPhone and Apple Watch) but I am about to an inexpensive Windows notebook so I can easily do certain things with an OS that I have used for many many years.

Same Idea,
I run linux normally , but have a cheap laptop to run Windows, so I can do taxes.
That's it, just the taxes. ..... hmmm.... maybe I should deduct it :cool:

This site can be hilarious at times with the off-topic stuff. Here is the OP's opening sentence:

Followed by:

What happens is there is a lot of suggestions for replacing the hard drive with an SSD.

Then the OP says:

Still, suggestions for replacing the hard drive with a cloned SSD drive persist. (And BTW, this is a good suggestion but not what the OP was asking.)

Just an observation. Carry on.

Good observation.

Same Idea,
I run linux normally , but have a cheap laptop to run Windows, so I can do taxes.

I keep an old mac mini just for turbo tax. Slow as a dog, but at least I can do what if without doing it all online.

Can anyone answer whether this PC is worth updating, I think it originally came with Windows 7 or 8 so I am leery about factory resetting it. If it is, step by step instructions would be great. It's only used for TurboTax and Quicken with expired subscription. I really don't want to buy a new PC for the little use it gets these days but it has a lot of financial data that I'd like to keep.

Aspire XC-603G
Intel Pentium CPU J2900 @2.41ghz
4 GB RAM Upgradable to 8GB
915Gb Hard Drive.
64-bit operating system, X64-based processor.
Windows 10 Home Edition - does not meet Windows 11 requirements.

I have 2 Chromebooks for regular web surfing and games.

Can anyone answer whether this PC is worth updating, I think it originally came with Windows 7 or 8 so I am leery about factory resetting it. If it is, step by step instructions would be great. It's only used for TurboTax and Quicken with expired subscription. I really don't want to buy a new PC for the little use it gets these days but it has a lot of financial data that I'd like to keep.

Aspire XC-603G
915Gb Hard Drive.

If you only use it for TurboTax and Quicken, unless it has become very sluggish, I'm not sure how much you would gain. Probably, the most gain would be from switching to an SSD. That really would speed up boot times as well as program loading but the two programs you mention probably aren't that bad for loading times anyway. Data wise, I doubt they are storage hogs either. While running the two programs at the same time, you might want to see what kind of memory use there is via Task Manager. If your memory usage stays below 50-60%, I doubt you'd see much effect in doubling the RAM to 8 GB. If you are comfortable swapping out the hard drive for an SSD and performing the cloning process, then a 1TB Sandisk SSD can be had for under $50. But you only have a couple more years to use Windows 10 until its end of support. Also, TurboTax will eventually stop supporting Windows 10 with its software. My plan is to wait until summer 2025 to either buy or build a Windows 11 machine.

Same Idea,
Yes, taxes is the only reason I keep a windows machine. Both my main pc which also runs my home theater and my laptop are linux based. I don't know why the turbotax and H&R block folks have decided that linux versions are not worth pursuing but oh well....

I keep an old mac mini just for turbo tax. Slow as a dog, but at least I can do what if without doing it all online.

I had to replace my wonderful Mac mini 2012 which had SSD, in part, would not update to recent OS so couldn’t run 2022 TurboTax, now
have new mini m2 so I’m good for another 10+ years

..... But you only have a couple more years to use Windows 10 until its end of support. Also, TurboTax will eventually stop supporting Windows 10 with its software. My plan is to wait until summer 2025 to either buy or build a Windows 11 machine.

I'm looking at getting a Windows 12 machine around that time. Taxes, scanner connection, and photo-video editing keep me using a Windows PC rather than Chromebook only.

Will this thread live on forever?

Aspire XC-603G
915Gb Hard Drive.

You could clone the hard drive and change over to a SSD and you could add some memory. Updating, i.e. getting a new computer, will cause you to lose the Quicken program and you’ll have to go on a subscription. I’d leave well enough alone. Make sure you back up your data.

I’d also be worried at this point whether Quicken could open your old data file. Eventually, that may be an issue. We finally upgraded to the subscription Quicken because my old version had some error and I could not re-install it. Basically had no choice unless I wanted to walk away from a couple decades of data. I find it on sale now and it’s not too expensive and works well.

Good observation.
It happens in almost every thread here. For example, go check out the "Stacking Burger Toppings" thread. Question is asked, "in what order do you stack toppings on your burger?" Answers range from "I don't eat burgers" to "whatever order the restaurant decides."

Last edited:
I'm late to the thread, I think.

Like some, I have had a preference for the simplicity, transparency and integrate-ability of Apple products - in my case, back to the Mac 128/512.

However, working in corporate America with a focus on commonality and cost, I used DOS machines (yeah, I know it was Windows, but aren't they really still the same - jab, jab ��) that were the live of all the IT professionals (they wanted to play with code and had a love affair with DOS - jab, jab ��). Military also had/has this same preference and it really was DOS with them.

Once I left corporate America, I immediately converted to Mac laptops for my wife and I. We already had iPads, and iPhones - magic and (nearly) complete transparency! And, I didn't need to spend an hour a week removing viruses from my wife's laptop PC.

So, we are still using 6-8 year old Macbooks - no issues - no speed decline. I did replace the battery in mine as it was swelling over time. About $50. We have 1TB internal SSDs and 1 TB external hard drives (cheap and effective) that back up the entire drive using built-in Time Machine. And, we use Apple iCloud for offsite backup (which backs up phones, pads, etc). I also back up core data occasionally to thumb drives.

We both have 24" screens that work transparently with the Macbooks - mine is curved which I like far better than flat - the screens were cheap, too. She has separate keyboard and trackpad, but I prefer just using the laptop keyboard/pad. I have speakers, but since we are both in the office at the same time, we both use earbuds of one sort or the other most of the time. The speakers in the Macbooks are pretty darn good for their era - new Macbooks have even better speakers.

We live in Florida, close to high probability hurricane area so I like the idea of grabbing them both and running. On really long trips I take my laptop with me.

So, we are still using 6-8 year old Macbooks - no issues - no speed decline.

Just curious, and from the frugality POV - how long do you keep your Apple phones and tablets?

I'm late to the thread, I think.

Like some, I have had a preference for the simplicity, transparency and integrate-ability of Apple products - in my case, back to the Mac 128/512.

However, working in corporate America with a focus on commonality and cost, I used DOS machines (yeah, I know it was Windows, but aren't they really still the same - jab, jab ��) that were the live of all the IT professionals (they wanted to play with code and had a love affair with DOS - jab, jab ��). Military also had/has this same preference and it really was DOS with them.

Once I left corporate America, I immediately converted to Mac laptops for my wife and I. We already had iPads, and iPhones - magic and (nearly) complete transparency! And, I didn't need to spend an hour a week removing viruses from my wife's laptop PC.

So, we are still using 6-8 year old Macbooks - no issues - no speed decline. I did replace the battery in mine as it was swelling over time. About $50. We have 1TB internal SSDs and 1 TB external hard drives (cheap and effective) that back up the entire drive using built-in Time Machine. And, we use Apple iCloud for offsite backup (which backs up phones, pads, etc). I also back up core data occasionally to thumb drives.

We both have 24" screens that work transparently with the Macbooks - mine is curved which I like far better than flat - the screens were cheap, too. She has separate keyboard and trackpad, but I prefer just using the laptop keyboard/pad. I have speakers, but since we are both in the office at the same time, we both use earbuds of one sort or the other most of the time. The speakers in the Macbooks are pretty darn good for their era - new Macbooks have even better speakers.

We live in Florida, close to high probability hurricane area so I like the idea of grabbing them both and running. On really long trips I take my laptop with me.

No more desktops for me... Laptops all the way... I have a large flat screen, external keyboard and mouse on my desk. Simply plug that "stuff" in (30secs) to my laptop and it becomes a desktop. Best of both worlds IMO. YMMV.

Amethyst,

I used an iPhone 7 from 2016-2021 - my son gave me a cracked screen iPhone XR that was retired by his company in late 2021 so I used it until my sister passed in March 23, and I inherited her XR.

My wife is a bit harder on her phones - after her XR's (2019) last drop on the tile floor, the screen failed sufficiently enough to require replacement to an iPhone 14.

I continue with an iPad 5th gen, and my wife has an iPad 9th gen - both work fine, but I am considering updating mine for better speed - likely a 10th gen. Her 9th is noticeably faster.

RetiredandLovingit,
Your computer is approximately 9 years. There’s not much you can do to speed it up. I Strongly recommend you backup all documents and important files to a thumb drive or external USB drive.

If you’re looking for a new computer, Amazon is selling the Beelink Mini S12 Pro Mini PC,12th Intel Alder Lake-N100 up to 3.4 GHz, 16GB DDR4/500GB PCIE M.2 SSD, Win 11 Pro Mini Desktop Computer for $188. This computer tests about 4.5 times faster than your current computer.

RetiredandLovingit,
Your computer is approximately 9 years. There’s not much you can do to speed it up. I Strongly recommend you backup all documents and important files to a thumb drive or external USB drive.

If you’re looking for a new computer, Amazon is selling the Beelink Mini S12 Pro Mini PC,12th Intel Alder Lake-N100 up to 3.4 GHz, 16GB DDR4/500GB PCIE M.2 SSD, Win 11 Pro Mini Desktop Computer for $188. This computer tests about 4.5 times faster than your current computer.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
I have from time to time looked at these mini PC's, they definitely seem to be a lot cheaper than a full size PC but how's the long term reliability on them?

EDIT, I just noticed that the Amazon page says not available for shipping to my address. Does anybody know why that happens, it's not like I'm in the boonies. I live in a pretty large city in Southern California. I wonder if California has some restriction that the seller doesn't want to deal with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
I have from time to time looked at these mini PC's, they definitely seem to be a lot cheaper than a full size PC but how's the long term reliability on them?

EDIT, I just noticed that the Amazon page says not available for shipping to my address. Does anybody know why that happens, it's not like I'm in the boonies. I live in a pretty large city in Southern California. I wonder if California has some restriction that the seller doesn't want to deal with.

Sometimes things are warehoused for drop shipping. May just be that particular unit is in a warehouse that is not local to you. Try looking at another computer. There's a lot of them. Just try to match the specs from the one Al18 showed you if you're not sure what to buy.

As for dependability, my guess is that they use basic hardware. I wouldn't worry about it failing if it makes it past the first week or so. Basically, I think they'll either fail quickly or not for a long time. Main thing I'd look out for is how hot it gets. If it stays cool, it should run just fine for a long time.

Yep, Beelink is selling them under 3 different names and I can pick it up at a locker a couple of miles away tomorrow if I want. The price is $1 higher and the coupon is $1 more so they end up at that same price.
Now my problem becomes I no longer have an active Quicken subscription so unsure if I can download the program onto this PC and then import my current file without having to buy another years subscription. It's not about the money, it's about Quickens inability to download from my banks and credit unions. Almost all of them stopped working over time till i just decided not to renew. I'd be happy to renew if they've ironed out all the bugs but I'm not paying for something that does not fulfill my needs and just caused me a couple of years of stress before I finally gave up.

I use my Macbook laptop for about two hours a day - far easier to compose and communicate on it than iPad.

I cannot imagine returning to yore when multiple pieces of third party SW were necessary to complete what I know are basic functions like backup.

I don't want to sound too odd ... BUT ... my original Mac is in the attic - the one with the signatures of the developers inside the casing.

I know everyone is simply waiting for the required adversing for the Mac ... but, remember, without the Mac there would be no iPhone, no earbuds, no iPads, no transparency between different pieces of equipment, no video and audio editing. Or, maybe it would simply have been delayed until 2050 :)

OK - it has been a slow afternoon.

Attachments

• 91BEDA71-574B-4344-BF6E-A353EAE2F9BD.png
    91BEDA71-574B-4344-BF6E-A353EAE2F9BD.png
    718.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 7211F50F-ADE0-4395-8457-D307926F19D8.png
    7211F50F-ADE0-4395-8457-D307926F19D8.png
    492.6 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom