New Desktop or Tablet?

Birdie Num Nums

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dang it! For the first time in my life I have had a home PC that died: motherboard dead and PC repairer says it is not cost-effective to replace it.

I have a 6-year-old laptop that I am now using as my PC. Should I get another desktop or a tablet. I know, it depends on what I use it for. I usually surf, and do word docs and image editing. Guess I'd like the option of being able to do state-of-the-art audio & visual recordings. I am not a gamer. I suppose I've already answered my question--a desktop could do more than a tablet. If desktop, any suggestions? I just need the tower, not a monitor.

I do like those Samsung tablets I saw at Costco this week. Maybe get both desktop & non-iPad tablet?

Dang it! For the first time in my life I have had a home PC that died: motherboard dead and PC repairer says it is not cost-effective to replace it.

I have a 6-year-old laptop that I am now using as my PC. Should I get another desktop or a tablet. I know, it depends on what I use it for. I usually surf, and do word docs and image editing. Guess I'd like the option of being able to do state-of-the-art audio & visual recordings. I am not a gamer. I suppose I've already answered my question--a desktop could do more than a tablet. If desktop, any suggestions? I just need the tower, not a monitor.

I do like those Samsung tablets I saw at Costco this week. Maybe get both desktop & non-iPad tablet?
i would not buy a desktop. i would get a laptop

Tablets are educational/recreational toys. Sadly, real computers are still the only option for real work. The possible only exception could be the MS Surface Pro tablet, which runs full Windows 8. The Pro's price point is as high as a mid to low-upper tier laptop.

I would think that if you want to do "state-of-the-art audio & visual recordings" then a desktop would be your best bet.
But for general surfing, a cheap tablet might be a good compliment to it.

Another option is to get the MS Surface pro. Use it as a tablet for surfing or light computing. Then plug the full size monitor into it and use a full sized keyboard & mouse to do real work. (although I'm not sure how well it would perform for large video files)
(surface pro has a miniDisplay port for video output - will likely need an adapter to use on your monitor).

My personal suggestion would be a desktop & cheap tablet option.

Last edited:
I’ve use desktops, laptops, notebooks and tablets. Personally, I like the size, flexibility and interface of laptops. I switched to all laptops several years ago with no regrets. All are fully functional PC's, with wireless (802.11), high capacity HD and very portable. I can use a 3G USB adaptor when I travel for Internet connectivity. If you want to used them as a desktop you can easily attach an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. (Which I do when I have a lot of spreadsheet or other detailed work.)

I suppose I've already answered my question--a desktop could do more than a tablet.

Sounds to me like you have decided that a desktop would meet your needs best. My suggestion is to buy the desktop.

Then, "give yourself permission" (as they say) to also buy a tablet. Computer equipment is so much cheaper now than it was 20-30 years ago, relative to the corresponding cost of living. So, you might want to at least entertain the idea of buying a tablet just for fun. :)

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you have decided that a desktop would meet your needs best. My suggestion is to buy the desktop.

Then, "give yourself permission" (as they say) to also buy a tablet. Computer equipment is so much cheaper now than it was 20-30 years ago, relative to the corresponding cost of living. So, you might want to at least entertain the idea of buying a tablet just for fun. :)

+1

Desktop or tablet are not interchangeable. Functionality is much different. I use both and could not do without either.

+1

Desktop or tablet are not interchangeable. Functionality is much different. I use both and could not do without either.

+2

I was fine without a tablet until I got one. Now I would never try living without one.
I was fine without a smart phone until I got one. Now I could not dare living without one.
I fret the day I acquire my first personal space shuttle...

And I don't think desktops and laptops are interchangeable.

I like to play with audio files, changing encoding, equalizations, etc.

It really helps to have a powerful desktop to do this. The desktop can have the higher power, higher heat version of the processor to do the work. Having a really large screen to examine the waveforms helps too.

And I don't think desktops and laptops are interchangeable...

My third laptop (of three different brands) is losing its connectivity at its power cord plug in--I have to baby it and manipulate the cords just so for the connection to hold for a charge (just as its predecessors made me do, darn their little mother boards). My next one will definitely be a desktop/all-in-one, which will be stationary, and I will get a tablet to assume the portability of the laptop, and I hope will have a longer-lived power connection thingie.

Don't forget to factor in the extra money for the 4G service for a mobile tablet/Ipad.

+3

They are not the same, but complementary.

Don't forget to factor in the extra money for the 4G service for a mobile tablet/Ipad.

Wi/Fi works for me at home and on the road. No need to pay for 4G unless you absolutely need it. I don't and save big $$$.

My laptop recently died and I just replaced it with a Google Chromebook. Pretty impressive little unit for $249.

For optimum usability, the general recommendation is to choose the software first, then purchase hardware upon which it runs well.

We recently replaced a desktop with a desktop that cost almost 1/10th of what the desktop it replaced cost, and it does just as much. I think if my laptop reaches the end of its journey, I'm going to switch to using a tablet for whatever I can use them for, and then use the desktop for heavier lifting. The only downside is that I may not be able to video editing remotely. Not a big deal - it can wait.

Wi/Fi works for me at home and on the road. No need to pay for 4G unless you absolutely need it. I don't and save big $$$.

That's good to know. When I was looking at iPads, they were pushing the monthly services. Also, I wasn't convinced they were as secure as my laptop at home with encrypted access if I used available wifi while on the road. Any privacy has probably gone out the window for all of us anyway.

When I got home from a cruise a year ago to find that my #$%^& desktop would not turn on at all - turned out to be a corroded motherboard - I decided to go with a laptop. But I got one with an upgraded video/graphics card and 8G of RAM. I've been totally happy with my choice. I already had a 24" monitor - I have the laptop on the desk and attached a keyboard and mouse so I now have two monitors which I've found I like a lot. I never really have gotten good at a touch pad so I like the mouse. It cost $800 (for the laptop) which seemed reasonable, plus a little to move my entire hard drive contents to the new machine (luckily it was intact).

I also got - for travel - an 11" PC which I love. Since I do a lot of typing I wanted something with a "real" full size keyboard. It works for me. I'm writing a memoir - maybe some day I'll finish it. :)

So now I'm thinking of getting a kindle or something for travel when I won't need the PC... :D

I haven't investigated tablets per se at all though.

I'm kinda hoping my desktop dies on me. It just takes a nap. I'm serious. The computer a few times during the day just pauses and does nothing for about 1-5 minutes, then resumes on as though nothing has happened. The problem isn't the internet connection as this napping happens even using non-internet programs. I probably should do the reinstall system thing, but that's a chore too with all the programs I've installed since the last time.

I've never tried a tablet, so really can't comment on that. For long hours, I prefer a desktop with a big monitor and keyboard over a laptop.

I hope to never buy another desktop, but mine is still working. I use our tablet most, then the desktop. DW uses our laptop most, rarely uses the desktop.

The overall trend seems clear, but YMMV. Look at the bright side, desktops are dirt cheap these days (thanks in part to declining sales).
desktop_decline_mac_sales.jpg

BusinessInsider%20ipad%20vs%20others%20chart(1).jpg

I'm kinda hoping my desktop dies on me. It just takes a nap. I'm serious. The computer a few times during the day just pauses and does nothing for about 1-5 minutes, then resumes on as though nothing has happened. The problem isn't the internet connection as this napping happens even using non-internet programs. I probably should do the reinstall system thing, but that's a chore too with all the programs I've installed since the last time.

I've never tried a tablet, so really can't comment on that. For long hours, I prefer a desktop with a big monitor and keyboard over a laptop.

I would take a look at your power option settings first. Try setting it to always on and see if it still does it. Sounds like maybe the HD is going to sleep then waking up when accessed. And the HD could be going bad, look in the system logs for any HD errors.

I prefer desktops, easier to repair/upgrade, cheaper.

I would take a look at your power option settings first. Try setting it to always on and see if it still does it. Sounds like maybe the HD is going to sleep then waking up when accessed. And the HD could be going bad, look in the system logs for any HD errors.

I prefer desktops, easier to repair/upgrade, cheaper.

Thanks for the tips.

+1 about the ease of repair/upgrades and price with desktops.

Many laptops have the ability to drive large external monitors, so you can get one and set it up just like a desktop (with extra keyboard, mouse, monitor).

Personally, I like the desktop for the power (extra CPUs), noise (fans are much quieter since they are larger and run at lower RPM), leaving all peripherals plugged in, and extra disk space (ability to put in multiple 3.5 hard drives internally). But I actually have all three (desktop,laptop,tablet).

Back
Top Bottom