New Windows~the kind in your house

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
We are considering having all of the windows in our 35+ YO house replaced. We have about 20 or so to be replaced. Got an estimate today from Window World for a bit over $8K. Will get another estimate or two before I decide.

Has anyone else replaced windows on this scale?

No, but I am thinking of doing that at some point in the next few years. In my case, I only have 8 windows but I would want hurricane protection for them installed as well. Still looking at options.

Similar experience, I had a house built and when it came time for the windows I did a lot of research and even though it was more expensive, I decided to have the entire house done with Pella. The quality is unbelievable and 5 years later they look and feel as if they wee installed yesterday.

We are considering having all of the windows in our 35+ YO house replaced. We have about 20 or so to be replaced. Got an estimate today from Window World for a bit over $8K. Will get another estimate or two before I decide.

Has anyone else replaced windows on this scale?

We researched windows, but decided to proceed with baths and kitchen first. We still need new windows, badly.

RED ALERT!
Mickey, I would suggest you do as thorough research as possible on whomever you are considering as a contractor -- BBB, Angie's list, customer references, etc. Also ask your candidates how long they have been doing business under their current name, and if the company has name change(s) in its history, find the reason for the name change, and check references for those, also. Talk to the actual people whose hands will be doing the work on your house. If a general contractor has a good relationship with their subs, that is a good sign. If the subs won't talk to you (or more likely, the general contractor will tell you his subs are too busy to talk to you), that is a negative.

Good luck.

RED ALERT!
Mickey, I would suggest you do as thorough research as possible on whomever you are considering as a contractor -- BBB, Angie's list, customer references, etc. Also ask your candidates how long they have been doing business under their current name, and if the company has name change(s) in its history, find the reason for the name change, and check references for those, also.

Good luck.
+1 or more

Never did it on that scale, replaced a few Anderson windows, they were great.

We got hosed by a contractor who replaced 3 custom cut widows. The glass was at least 4' wide and cut at an angle to match cathedral ceiling. A week after the goofball installed, one piece split 18" from the bottom. The contractor refused to back his work. We contacted the glass company, they didn't want their reputation spoiled and replaced at no charge. The glass company showed me where the contractor had run a screw right into the glass.

In 2010 we replaced the majority of our windows. The only ones we didn't do we had done individually in previous years. The project in 2010 completed the rest of the house.

Our house is from 1955 and we had the original windows, horrible single pane aluminum casements that were entirely inappropriate for Northeast Ohio where we have real winters and real summers. When we moved in in 1983 we knew we needed to replace the windows but raising a family/saving for college/saving for retirement and other life events took precedence.

We had a Pella sliding glass door that I loved, but replacing all the windows with Pella would have been much too expensive so we went with vinyl double hung double pane with argon between the panes. We used a small local installer who we had seen installing all over the neighborhood.

He had done 2 of our earlier replacements and his price had stayed the same and he was great in explaining the details of the estimate. On the day of the estimate DH suggested that we include the 2 large windows in the attached garage. I kept seeing dollar signs adding up and hesitated. The installer offered ideas to get these included but at a lower cost than the windows in the house. I had the idea of making these frosted glass so that we had privacy but still had the energy efficiency. It worked out great!

Since we did ours 3 neighbors have used this same company.

Every day I am glad we did these replacement windows, my only regret is that we didn't do it years earlier.

We had gotten 2 other estimates from other companies. One was an average sales guy who came and measured, showed us the brochure, etc and gave us a price. He could not give us info on the some specific installation issues we were concerned about.

Then we had Champion Windows come for an estimate. Typical setup where the guy needed both of us there for an appointed time. He had a large sales notebook and we had to go through every step and agree that of course, yes, his product was the best, had the best value, was exactly what we needed, etc. After the first hour I asked for a price, please, even a ballpark figure on this one window and then I'd know if we were in the same price range as another company. "Oh, no, I can't give you a price, yet. I'll get there after I explain more features, blah, blah..."

After the 2nd hour, which included the heat resistance demo, the sample window and many familiar sales techniques, I BEGGED for a price already. That's when he started measuring and calculating.

Almost an hour later he had a written estimate, but it was only for the entire job, not broken down by each window. There were no specifications for the installation details like we needed. And of course, if you sign here, today, right now, I can give you today's special discount only good while I'm here. His price was still at least 20% more than the company we had used before.

Yeah, thanks for stopping in, I'll help you pack up your window and your hulking sales binder, here's the door, have a safe drive home, BYE!

That's when we knew we were going with the local company with the solid estimate that we had used before.

In 2010 we replaced the majority of our windows. The only ones we didn't do we had done individually in previous years. The project in 2010 completed the rest of the house.

Our house is from 1955 and we had the original windows, horrible single pane aluminum casements that were entirely inappropriate for Northeast Ohio where we have real winters and real summers. When we moved in in 1983 we knew we needed to replace the windows but raising a family/saving for college/saving for retirement and other life events took precedence.

We had a Pella sliding glass door that I loved, but replacing all the windows with Pella would have been much too expensive so we went with vinyl double hung double pane with argon between the panes. We used a small local installer who we had seen installing all over the neighborhood.

He had done 2 of our earlier replacements and his price had stayed the same and he was great in explaining the details of the estimate. On the day of the estimate DH suggested that we include the 2 large windows in the attached garage. I kept seeing dollar signs adding up and hesitated. The installer offered ideas to get these included but at a lower cost than the windows in the house. I had the idea of making these frosted glass so that we had privacy but still had the energy efficiency. It worked out great!

Every day I am glad we did these replacement windows, my only regret is that we didn't do it years earlier.

We had gotten 2 other estimates from other companies. One was an average sales guy who came and measured, showed us the brochure, etc and gave us a price. He could not give us info on the some specific installation issues we were concerned about.

Then we had Champion Windows come for an estimate. Typical setup where the guy needed both of us there for an appointed time. He had a large sales notebook and we had to go through every step and agree that of course, yes, his product was the best, had the best value, was exactly what we needed, etc. After the first hour I asked for a price, please, even a ballpark figure on this one window and then I'd know if we were in the same price range as another company. "Oh, no, I can't give you a price, yet. I'll get there after I explain more features, blah, blah..."

After the 2nd hour, which included the heat resistance demo, the sample window and many familiar sales techniques, I BEGGED for a price already. That's when he started measuring and calculating.

Almost an hour later he had a written estimate, but it was only for the entire job, not broken down by each window. There were no specifications for the installation details like we needed. And of course, if you sign here, today, right now, I can give you today's special discount only good while I'm here. His price was still at least 20% more than the company we had used before.

Yeah, thanks for stopping in, I'll help you pack up your window and your hulking sales binder, here's the door, have a safe drive home, BYE!

That's when we knew we were going with the local company with the solid estimate that we had used before.

what was the brand of window you ended up with?

I have a 7 year old house with 7 year old "Betterbilt" windows, and they are anything but--better bilt.
They are low E and the E stands for ekkk, as many are failing (fogging between the panes).
Please avoid Betterbilt or you may be "betterbilked."

We did ours about 10 years ago - whole house. We sat through ~5 excruciating sales pitches, and found this place online: Buy Home Replacement/New Construction Windows Online: Window e-Store. When we bought ours, if you spent $1000 (no problem there) you got free shipping. The Mr. is pretty handy, and he installed them himself. We saved several thousand dollars. I can't tell any difference between the sales pitch windows and these. They are still working fine. Some are crank outs, some are regular windows, all are beautiful and EASY TO WASH. Even the one that gets opened 27 times a day to let the cat in off the porch is still going strong.

I found this article on About.com too: Where to Buy DIY Replacement Windows

If you're handy, or have a handy friend, might be worth looking into.

We purchased Window World windows for our house last year. Really love them so far. They open and close so easy. Happy with our decision so far. Still have a few more to replace and probably will next year.

Have not replaced windows. We have Andersen casement windows and sliding glass doors in a 30-year-old house. Love the energy efficiency. Can still get parts. Have replaced crank handles on the three most-used windows and weather stripping on one slider. Have ordered a replacement gasket for a skylight window. Love skylights, but wouldn't particularly recommend a skylight window as it probably costs more, yet never gets opened.

Kindest regards.

We rebuilt and expanded our house in 1988 and installed Anderson throughout. Most are casement windows, a few double hung, some picture and two sliding doors. We have been very happy with how they have held up over the 26 years.

The house we bought had half the windows replaced with Pella vinyl double-pane, the other half were original single pane aluminum. We got a quote from Pella direct and then a quote from an independent Pella authorized installer who had done a couple houses in our neighborhood. The independent quote was literally half the price of the Pella salesman despite the fact that Pella was having a "sale." We went with the independent guy and he did a great job.

One of the windows from the original Pella install got a stress crack from top to bottom, but I called Pella, they shipped a replacement window panel at no cost, I replaced it in 15 minutes. So warranty seems ok.

Don't pay extra for argon or whatever other magic gasses they want to put in the window. It all diffuses out.

what was the brand of window you ended up with?

The brand is Polaris. http://polariswindows.com/index.php The company we bought them from is a small local family company. The owner and his wife measure and do the estimate and ordering. Then the owner and a couple of his employees come and do the installation. The owner was here the entire time.

Polaris has 3 levels. I found the paperwork and we got the top level Ultraweld. We opted for the Low-E glass on all of them, muntins in all of them except for the fixed obscures and one that has the internal mini-blinds for privacy on one window in the kitchen that faces a neighbor.

All are double hung except for one basement window that is fixed with obscure glass, the 2 garage windows which are also fixed with obscure glass and one small casement in a bedroom that was almost as expensive as a full sized double hung! It's a small window next to the chimney and they didn't make double hungs or even an awning window small enough so we had to get a casement.

Last edited:
Our house was built in 1857 and still had the original 6 over 6 double hung windows in it when we bought it. 5 years ago, we replaced all 30 windows in the house with Marvin Wood Ultimate Insert Double Hung Double Hung Replacement Windows It ran us about $1000 per window, installed.

Anytime a home improvement rep shows up with visual aids in a suitcase, I know I'm in for a snow job.

We did ours about 10 years ago and the brand was made by corningware, but can't remember the name. They are wonderful and had the unexpected benefit of silencing much of the outside noise. We have sliders so we can circulate air when the weather is nice.

We did our downstairs windows 2 years ago. My husband installed them - we have had BAD experiences with contractors - and he did a great job. Even where he had to match the stucco (we changed two openings to improve function/flow.)

We used metal clad wood windows by Sierra Pacific. We've been really happy with the quality. We went with metal clad because we're in wildfire risk (above a canyon).

We have 5 windows, destined for our upstairs windows, in our garage. They'll be installed in the next week or so.

We went through this drill a few month ago for 19 windows ans a patio door. We were replacing 25 year old double-pane windows in aluminum frames with failed seals. Every one had failed in the house.

We were looking at mid-range vinyl replacements and had settled on the Simonton windows. Getting bids was interesting. For a while the installers were apparently so busy that no company bothered to return our calls, so we waited until late winter and tried again. I I looked at local companies that had good reviews, contractor license numbers that were real and current, and that had insurance and employees (listed on the state contractors license web site). Requiring a valid license, insurance, and actual employees helped weed out the 'installer' that picked up his crew for the day from the Home Depot parking lot. That thinned the herd by half.

We then got quotes, which turned out to be all over the map for the exact same windows and the install method we wanted. Bids ranged from $13,900 to $7,800. The low bidder had the most detailed plan and included pulling the permits needed. (The high bidder didn't want to bother with this!) His business had a very good record overall. The high bidder had uniformly great online reviews. Really uniform... almost identical...

We went with the low bidder as he seemed to actually have his stuff together and could tell us in detail exactly what work was involved.

My sister had it done about 6 years ago... brick house...

We were told later that the guy who did it did a good job because he took out the bricks that surrounded the windows so they could put them in properly.... the person said some guys cut the frame of the window and just slide them in....

So, if you have a brick house.... ask them how they do the install...

Had mine replaced last year. 22 YO house had el-cheapo contractor-grade windows, at least two or three had broken seals and permanent condensation between the panes. All of them stuck anywhere from a bit to a lot.

I used a local company who manufactures them about five miles from my house. I had used them to install new vinyl handrails on my porch, and since they had done a good job and were responsive, I had a good feeling for them.

I'm quite happy with my new windows. While they aren't Pellas, they look good, operate well, and seem tight. I like how the screens are easy to remove and install from the inside. Since I only tend to open the bottom sashes, I only got the half screens.

Not a cheap project, but worth it IMHO.

You will get what you pay for. We replaced all ours with Anderson and were very happy with the outcome. However, it is critical that you get and check out a reliable contractor. We bought ours at a local place and they gave us a contractor name. Person came over, seemed really good and said he was licensed. Turns out he was not, but we found that out before hiring him. A neighbor hired him for one window and door, and it took over a month.

Get a contractor experienced in replacements, this is different than placing windows in new build.

I have Pella windows....casement windows. My house is 15 years old now. I had the glass portion changed a couple of years ago because the seals were broken. Two good things... 1. I don't have many windows. 2.Only the hinged glass portion needed to be replaced, not the entire window.

We've got a few Simonton Prism double-hung windows in the house. They're nice windows, very tight against cold winds.

About ten years ago we installed double hung low-e vinyl replacements from Paradigm. No problems with them so far. Effective insulation from the elements and noise.

Back
Top Bottom