• Falcons by over 14 pts

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I just watch the commercials or halftime event

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • other

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As for the game, a team that is incapable of holding a 25 points lead with a little over a quarter to go does not deserve to win.

Agreed. As far as I could tell, everyone was playing by the same rules, knew the rules and played accordingly.

If you view a coin flip as somehow unfair, that's fine but that's the rule right now and those are the rules both teams were playing by.

If you don't like that rule, go tell "Ro----ger"

Hey the Pats won playing by the rules, like so many other contests in recent months. (e.g. football and NASCAR :)) If folks feel strongly enough about it they should "voice" their opinions to the appropriate people that can change the rules, get over it and move on. Be careful what you ask for!

While I was rooting for the Falcon, I agree the Pats played by the rules and won. And, yes, both teams should be given at least one chance to score.

Changing the rules after the game is played is never a good idea. I have seen this done at a social club, where to make some rude noisy people happy the person running the show bent/broke some seating rules. As a result she had lots of irate members angry with her for good reason, instead of just a few selfish jerks who had no good reason to be angry at anybody.

Not that it matters in regards to pro Football, but the Constitution does forbid ex-post facto laws for good reason.

I am sure had the Falcons won the toss and scored on their first drive, their fans would not be making a fuss and insisting the Pats be given a chance to score.

OTOH, if you are a Pats fan, you get to pay big $$'s.

The line to purchase Pats SB memorabilia at the Pro Shop was 3 hours long on Monday morning in freezing temperatures. DW went to purchase some but only lasted a half hour before she gave up.

The line to purchase Pats SB memorabilia at the Pro Shop was 3 hours long on Monday morning in freezing temperatures. DW went to purchase some but only lasted a half hour before she gave up.

Yeah. As I noted earlier, our nephew works for the Pats and said the whole day was insane at the Pro Shop. And the day after.

What a difference 6 pts makes. The Falcons are in the process of a shakeup. Offensive coordinator already gone to SF. Now the defense is getting changed around.

Following their loss to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl this past Sunday, the Atlanta Falcons are shaking up their defensive staff.
Atlanta Falcons Shake Up Defensive Staff | MyCentralOregon.com

Instead of going to Disneyland, looks like Falcons are going back to the drawing board and some rebuilding :(.

They why wasn't New England's defense ever tested in OT to see if they could stop Atlanta from scoring a TD? to score a TD .

They stopped Atlanta the whole second half. They would've stopped them again.

What a difference 6 pts makes. The Falcons are in the process of a shakeup. Offensive coordinator already gone to SF. Now the defense is getting changed around.

Atlanta Falcons Shake Up Defensive Staff | MyCentralOregon.com

Instead of going to Disneyland, looks like Falcons are going back to the drawing board and some rebuilding :(.

They might be doing what the Houston Oilers did way back in the Bum Philips days... he could not beat Pittsburgh when they were winning Super Bowls... so they got rid of him... then went downhill fast...

Last 3 seasons for Bum.... 10-6, 10-6 and 11-5 lost to the Steelers twice... afterward they went on a 6 year losing streak...

Just as another point of shame... the Oilers are the team that lost the largest lead in any game in NFL history... and it was a playoff game...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comeback_(American_football)

They stopped Atlanta the whole second half. They would've stopped them again.

And you know this because........ :confused:

And Atlanta did score a TD in the second half, in case you have forgotten.

Just as another point of shame... the Oilers are the team that lost the largest lead in any game in NFL history... and it was a playoff game...

I remember that game well. 35-3 lead and lost in overtime at Rich Stadium. Frank Reich started in place of Jim Kelly. The 3rd of 4 consecutive years that the Bills went to the Super Bowl and lost. Great teams in Buffalo but just couldn't win the big one.

I just watched the series again on DVR where the Falcons didn't run the ball but instead got sacked then held to put them out of FG range. Upon further watching, I say can't really blame the Falcons for trying to get a first down by passing. They did run and got stopped of on 1st down and caused the Pats to use a time out. Had they run again, more time would have ticked off but I think the Pats would have got the ball anyhow with about a minute less and I say Pats and Brady probably would have scored anyway. The sack and holding, that was part of the flow, tug of war, of the game and hindsight is 20/20. One 1st down and the Falcons would have one the game right there. That's how they beat the Packers, by not playing chicken.

You missed the part where running the ball 3 times would lead to kicking a FG that would have won the game even if the Pats scored the TD. Bryant was automatic from 40-49 yards in 2016.

Should have been Falcons 31, Pats 28 at worst but Shanahan got too full of himself and blew the game. Twice in the fourth quarter when they should have run the ball on both possessions (first one led to the sack/fumble and easy score by the Pats btw). The Falcons were playing way too fast and their D was on the field way too long when they had a lead that they should have milked.

Agree with others that the NFL should adopt the college OT, also given that they want to reduce kickoffs anyway. Give both teams a chance at O, that's what the league is all about now.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot. Just contradicted myself again. Falcons were already in FG range. Okay.. no more Monday morning quarterbacking from me. Congrats to the Pats.

You missed the part where running the ball 3 times would lead to kicking a FG that would have won the game even if the Pats scored the TD. Bryant was automatic from 40-49 yards in 2016.

Should have been Falcons 31, Pats 28 at worst but Shanahan got too full of himself and blew the game. Twice in the fourth quarter when they should have run the ball on both possessions (first one led to the sack/fumble and easy score by the Pats btw). The Falcons were playing way too fast and their D was on the field way too long when they had a lead that they should have milked.

Agree with others that the NFL should adopt the college OT, also given that they want to reduce kickoffs anyway. Give both teams a chance at O.

You're right. I did a follow up post remembering that all the Falcons needed was a FG to pretty much clinch the game. Had the Falcons been out of FG range, then okay to go for it. But otherwise, they lived by the pass, died by the pass.

And stupidly so given the lead and the fact that they were wearing their own D out.

Aggressive for sure but they took it too far. Hopefully Quinn knows now that there has to be a balance.

They're going to tank in 2017 btw, no way they'll be back in the SB after this. And I say this as an ATL native and longtime fan.

Should have been Falcons 31, Pats 28 at worst but Shanahan got too full of himself and blew the game. Twice in the fourth quarter when they should have run the ball on both possessions (first one led to the sack/fumble and easy score by the Pats btw).

The head coach should have overruled the offensive coordinator. It seems that the pressure of the situation clouded their thinking. Clock management, forcing the Pats to use their timeouts and kicking a field goal should have been the goal in that situation instead they wanted to blow out the Pats and it backfired.

Something with the Pats that forces other teams to act irrationally. Pete Carroll did it and now his disciple Dan Quinn has done it also.

BTW I agree with you on that the loss will negatively affect them next season.

Last edited:
And stupidly so given the lead and the fact that they were wearing their own D out.

Aggressive for sure but they took it too far. Hopefully Quinn knows now that there has to be a balance.

Yes agree with this. This may be one of the differences between teams that know how to win and those that don't or those with a great deal of playoff experience and those without. One should be able to adjust the game plan to suit the situation. It didn't dawn on them that the Pats were like a sleeping giant? It seems like they forgot who they were playing against.

Agree with others that the NFL should adopt the college OT, also given that they want to reduce kickoffs anyway. Give both teams a chance at O, that's what the league is all about now.

I don't fault the play-calling for the sack+fumble because there was more time on the clock and no FG chance for Atlanta. But I surely agree with your criticism of the play-calling the second time when there was less time on the clock and near the outer range of a FG (where a big loss of yards would endanger that). Calling 3 inside running plays, as long there are no fumbles, won't do any worse than losing maybe 3 yards. But it either takes time off the precious clock or forces New England to burn some timeouts. Even if the Falcons miss the likely FG, Brady has some combination of less time and fewer timeouts to move down the field to tie the game although a missed FG would give Brady better field position than he had after the punt. And if Atlanta makes the high-percentage FG it is likely game over with New England needing 2 scores.

And the OT rule rots. Equal possessions or at least 1 guaranteed possession per team is better than what they have now.

Last edited:
They had a 3rd and 1 in the 4th when Ryan took the sack/fumble, that's why they should've run the ball. Even if you have to punt it's not a loss. But they thought they'd be able to move at will and Freeman whiffed on the block that got Ryan killed, so there you go.

Just way too aggressive play-calling at the end when clock-killing was what was needed.

Last edited:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Tom Brady's missing jersey could be in a laundry pile - NFL.com

TMZ Sports spoke with law enforcement sources involved in the search who tell us they are "hopeful" the jersey was put on a team equipment truck destined for Boston. We're told the truck was never thoroughly searched before it left NRG Stadium in Houston -- and contains all sorts of team and player equipment. Our sources tell us the truck is scheduled to be unpacked in Boston on Thursday and cops are crossing their fingers the #12 jersey turns up!

Given the hulabaloo about the jersey one would think that the truck would have stopped somewhere and been searched before it got all the way back to Boston, but whatever.

Last edited:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Sure, but this was an obvious choke. One that, unfortunately, all of us in the city of ATL will have to hear about and cringe every time the Falcons try to 'rise up' in the playoffs again. The serious fans are never going to take them seriously until they change the tune.

Last edited:
Hope the jersey is found. A big piece of sports history.

Mystery solved.

Tom Brady's stolen Super Bowl jersey found

The NFL said an investigation by the FBI, NFL security and Texas law enforcement officials discovered the jerseys in the possession of a “credentialed member of the international media.”

Proud @houstonpolice Major Offenders Divison traced Brady Jersey to Mexico & it has been recovered with help of FBI & Mexican authorities.

Next thing you know they are going to want to build a wall. :D

ESPN wrote (in the red text)

"The jerseys were found in Mexico and currently are being authenticated by authorities, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said".

Jersey(s)? How many did he wear?

How do they authenticate it/them? DNA from Brady's sweat? And are they are going to use Houston's crime lab to do this investigation? :LOL: Hopefully they are better now since forensic's is now done by the Houston Forensic Science Center and not the HPD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom