nm

Re: Had dinner Sat. night my Congressman Friend...............

Tell him your internet buddies want plenty of tax cuts, a fix to medicare and social security which does not include reductions of benefits or tax increases, and to get us out of Iraq very soon with a strong victory. Let's see......I think that should just about do it for now. :)

DOG51 said:
Tell him your internet buddies want plenty of tax cuts, a fix to medicare and social security which does not include reductions of benefits or tax increases, and to get us out of Iraq very soon with a strong victory. Let's see......I think that should just about do it for now. :)

Tax cuts:confused: I want tax increases for workers to pay for my retirement.......shredder

BTW I want out of Iraq too, declare victory and get the hell out...

Shredder said:
Tax cuts:confused: I want tax increases for workers to pay for my retirement.......shredder

BTW I want out of Iraq too, declare victory and get the hell out...

Yeah, tax cuts with a balanced budget. I want it all!  :D

Re: Had dinner Sat. night with my Congressman Friend...............

I hope you guys now understand why we get politicians that promise Disneyland!

5 degrees of separation. you're friends with guy who carried carter's nuke and one of my best friends worked with carter at his center for peace. so you and i are separated by only three people. getting claustrophobic yet?

Cut-Throat said:
I don't think he ever made piles of money during his military career, but he is probably making up for it now. Nords probably knows what an O-6 pension is plus about $170K per year for a Congressman.
Guys like that never retire.

O-6 pay tops out at 26 years of service but a lifer-dog like him probably went the full 30 and would be drawing 75% of base pay. It's hard to tell exactly what he's getting now because of all the COLA adjustments from when he retired to the present, but if an O-6>30 on today's pay scale retired tomorrow they'd be drawing $79,500/year. An O-6 retiring with "just" 26 years would "only" get $68,900/year.

Plus a COLA, commissary/exchange privileges (cost +5% & no sales tax), and lifetime medical.

Since he's still visiting Iraq I suspect there's also a disability offset for brain damage. But detecting brain damage in an aviator and a Marine, let alone an aviator Marine Congressman, is probably beyond all diagnostic power. Of course Jarhead would speculate that his brains aren't located between his ears, anyway, right?

Change of subject.
Hey, Cut-Throat, you might be able to confirm a persistent military legend for us.

Rumor has it that on Carter's first day in the White House he was receiving all the usual "Welcome to your new job" briefings-- where to find the bathrooms, how to make coffee, where to call for pizza, and so on. I'm told that the head of the Marine aviation detachment marched into Carter's office and delivered an impressive brief on how, in the event of an assault on the White House or any nuclear attack, the Secret Service and the Marines would whisk Carter away to a secure location within 15 minutes.

Carter, the quintessential nuclear submariner, is reported to have nodded his head and said "OK, do it."
USMC COL: "Do what, Mr. President?"
Carter: "Do the evacuation."
USMC COL: "I'm afraid I don't understand, sir."
Carter: "#%$^ it, COL, this is a drill. You've told me what you and your men can do, now #$%^ing do it!!"

Two hours later a helicopter finally landed on the White House lawn, where many heads were rolled down the slope.

At least that's the story. Although since Carter's still alive, the statute of limitations might still be in effect. But what are they gonna make your friend do if he reveals the story-- fly to Iraq & testify before Congress?!?

lazygood4nothinbum said:
5 degrees of separation. you're friends with guy who carried carter's nuke and one of my best friends worked with carter at his center for peace. so you and i are separated by only three people. getting claustrophobic yet?

One of my best friends is from Minnesota and worked for this guy about 4-5 years ago when he was running a think tank.

Apparantly your keyboard is feeling a little frisky and "Macho" today. :LOL: :LOL:

Geez, I'm surrounded by this at work, Nuke Sub Navy guys on one side, Marines on the other.

Navy Guy, "You know, Marines are just a department of the Navy."

Marine, "Yep, the Men's Department."

"Seagoing Bellhop!"

"Water Taxi Driver!"

More six degrees of seperation, my technical lead worked (briefly) for both Carter and Reagan in the Comms(?) area.

My con law professor in college was a white house attorney under slick willy. Slick Willy knows Carter. :eek:

I drank some Billy beer once... 8) :p

Ever tasted Billy beer? :dead:

justin said:
My con law professor in college was a white house attorney under slick willy. Slick Willy knows Carter. :eek:

I lied once .... under oath!

Laurence said:
Geez, I'm surrounded by this at work, Nuke Sub Navy guys on one side, Marines on the other.
No wonder you want to retire early.

I should point out that the only thing crazier than getting paid to go to sea in a nuclear submarine is doing so to get paid a slightly smaller salary for the privilege opportunity to swim out of an escape trunk.

You'll have to remind both groups that real men don't need a workplace to validate their existence...

I just stay out of it.

The funny thing is, the Air Force guys never get involved, they always seem a lot more laid back about the whole rivalry thing.

But the stories are fascinating!

Laurence said:
The funny thing is, the Air Force guys never get involved, they always seem a lot more laid back about the whole rivalry thing.

So you noticed we try to stay above it... ;)

Back
Top Bottom