no-wifi smart electrical outlet switch

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I use a TP-link smartplug, but it requires a wifi connection.

I want to buy one where I can program it once like the old-fashion mechanical timer using my app.

Are there such a thing?

Wouldn’t the one you have work that way? You’d need WiFi to program it, but wouldn’t it store the information after that and work as programmed whether or not it was still connected to WiFi? No expert in this area, but that’s how my sprinkler timer works.

Wouldn’t the one you have work that way? You’d need WiFi to program it, but wouldn’t it store the information after that and work as programmed whether or not it was still connected to WiFi? No expert in this area, but that’s how my sprinkler timer works.

Mine doesn't work that way. If my WiFi is down the timer won't work until WiFi is restored; it gets the on/off signal from the modem/router...or maybe the modem just tells the timer what time it is.

I learned that when I wanted to program a weekly shut down of my modem for a few minutes (reboot) when I'm away for 3 months....but once the WiFi is off, the timer doesn't know what to do or when to do it.

OP, why not just use the old mechanical timers; they're easy to set up, no app required.

How about a "programmable switch"? Home Depot has a 7 day one, and others will be findable on Amazon or via Google. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywe...or-Lights-and-Motors-RPLS730B1000-U/206311889
These are programmable on the switch itself, not via an app.

<before morning coffee, anything I say may or may not be correct :) >

Something that works like that except that plugs into an electrical outlet.

The modern version of the old-fashion mechanical timer that I have many of are so bulky. :(
I have seen wifi ones that take up one outlet and doesn't block the other.

I don't use the wifi automation for the home. Not aware if any of the wifi plugs can be programmed internally to act as a timer. It is easy to set up wifi for the house if that is a solution for you.

We use stand alone timers to control the lights that want to automate.

Mine doesn't work that way. If my WiFi is down the timer won't work until WiFi is restored; it gets the on/off signal from the modem/router...or maybe the modem just tells the timer what time it is.

I don't have such a timer, but suspect the above (in bold). The router does not have the software to control the timer, but does have the time.

We use a Vera home automation system that relies on z wave. Theoretically you can run it without WiFi and just use z wave plugs.

Back
Top Bottom