Non separate toilet in master suite

Neighbors have a high end log home used as an airbnb. Designed and built by a newbie 30 year old builder with more loan qualification ability than good sense. Three levels and 6800 square feet. The entire bathroom is open to the MBR including the toilet. To make matters worse, other sleeping areas with 6-8 beds adjoin this upstairs bedroom with no bathroom at all. So guests would have to either go downstairs, or sneak into the MBR and use the exposed toilet along with whomever is sleeping there. Vaulted log ceilings assure any smells and sounds will permeate the entire floor. It has a nice large tub next to the toilet but because of the ceiling slant it you have to crawl upside down to get in and out. They are careful with their online photos to not show the truth about these amenities. It looks like a separate nice bathroom in the photos.

In real estate appraisal terminology this is known as “functional obsolescence” and normally creates a loss in value. Sometimes is is “curable” and sometimes not. The value decrease would of course be greater if it is “incurable” as opposed to just having to build a wall to fix it.

Because it is a vacation rental I think people are already gone by the time this gets real annoying. It is normally stuffed with people because it rents for almost $1,000 a night and people want to split that up a lot of ways. The house was bought out of foreclosure by the current owners at a bargain price and sat forever before they bought it. Seems like a “nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there”. Sadly, it will probably always be an airbnb because of this and other problems that would scare away real neighbors.

I've seen those on HGTV. The ones I have seen I don't like because they are in these "closets". Kind of claustrophobic.

We live in a cottage so our bathrooms are small. The toilet in our master bathroom is across from the shower. The one in the other bathroom is next to the tub, which we never use anyway because it is way too small and narrow. Bottom line is we don't care about it. We spend minimal time in a bathroom.

A good way to keep it from feeling claustrophobic is to have a window in the water closet, if you can. Frosted if need be for privacy from the outside, or a somewhat sheer curtain. I put a film on the bottom half that makes it look frosted, and have curtains if I know the vacation house next door is occupied. It's pretty private anyway.

When we remodeled we actually took that down to make the room one open space. The master bath itself still has a door, and if there were a "scheduling conflict" DH and I know to use the other bathroom...

I guess I'm the odd one out here as I can't remember ever living in a house with more than one bathroom.
We can't have 'scheduling conflicts'. We just have to wait our turn. :LOL:

When remodeling our master bath, we simply enclosed the toilet area, took out the bathtub replacing it with a shower. Double duty is therefore possible. YMMV

The master bath of our home, the toilet is in its own tiny room....the guest bath is normal. Most of the homes here in the SW have that, we found it strange when we moved here, but kind of normal now for us! :)

I think a good compromise would be a separate half bath with a wide door. The two elements of going to the bathroom are covered. Then the rest of the primary bathroom could have a totally different design, the sink/counter would not be geared for washing your hands, etc. No stinky hands near where you brush your teeth.
Toilet, sink, fan, air freshener. Hand towels. I like it :)

OK. I will attempt to upload. No comments on the mess on floor, etc.

On the left of the wall is entrance to sink/toilet. Picture on the right shows tub and shower and second sink. To take the pictures, I am standing on either side of the bed. People lying on bed can watch TV. In the right picture, you can see an opening to a closet. Closet has a door. Door on the left side of the left picture exits to hallway.

Question is: Is that enough privacy for you?

Answer: Absolutely, it is not.

I would not want to stay in that room even for one night.

Neighbors have a high end log home used as an airbnb. Designed and built by a newbie 30 year old builder with more loan qualification ability than good sense. Three levels and 6800 square feet. The entire bathroom is open to the MBR including the toilet. To make matters worse, other sleeping areas with 6-8 beds adjoin this upstairs bedroom with no bathroom at all. So guests would have to either go downstairs, or sneak into the MBR and use the exposed toilet along with whomever is sleeping there. Vaulted log ceilings assure any smells and sounds will permeate the entire floor. It has a nice large tub next to the toilet but because of the ceiling slant it you have to crawl upside down to get in and out. They are careful with their online photos to not show the truth about these amenities. It looks like a separate nice bathroom in the photos.

In real estate appraisal terminology this is known as “functional obsolescence” and normally creates a loss in value. Sometimes is is “curable” and sometimes not. The value decrease would of course be greater if it is “incurable” as opposed to just having to build a wall to fix it.

Because it is a vacation rental I think people are already gone by the time this gets real annoying. It is normally stuffed with people because it rents for almost $1,000 a night and people want to split that up a lot of ways. The house was bought out of foreclosure by the current owners at a bargain price and sat forever before they bought it. Seems like a “nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there”. Sadly, it will probably always be an airbnb because of this and other problems that would scare away real neighbors.

That should be disclosed prior to someone agreeing to rent. I suspect it would get annoying the moment someone used the open air toilet in the master. Ugg, $1,000 a night for that. I would be livid. Can anyone say bad, really bad, review.

That's a sketchy setup. All the steam and vapor goes into the bedroom too. It's not a high-end improvement IMO, as much as a weird AirBnB room design. Fine for a night or two if the price and location is right. They should have provided photos if you didn't know what it looked like. At least you don't live there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom