Obtaining Legal Services

Martha said:
How do people know if their lawyer is high quality unless they know the law themselves or have a point of comparison?  I know one lawyer in my town who is well loved by an assortment of clients.  He is a goof ball and doesn't do the best job.  Sure is cheap though. 

We just shopped for a new dentist when our old one retired.  I'm still not sure whether he is good.

Then again, I really like my doctor.  She spends time with you answering all you questions and just chatting.  But really, how do I know if she is any good?

I think you have to spend a lot of time with a lawyer or other
professional (this applies to spouses also) :) before you really know.
My fav. lawyer of all time was with me 15 years. We could finish each others sentences.

JG

If when I get a new buyer, I'd like to ask here for a specific recommendation for a lawyer to use for the agreement. I'd think that would work pretty well, even if the lawyer was in, for example, Louisiana. Right?

Attorneys are licensed by states to practice that state's law. You live in California, run a business based in California and may end up entering into a purchase agreement governed by California law. Most likely you will need a California licensed lawyer.

This all gets rather messy sometimes trying to figure out what the limits are, with clients having businesses all over the country and doing transactions all over the country.

Martha said:
How do people know if their lawyer is high quality...?

This sounds like the intro to a good lawyer joke!!! :)

Seriously, you really don't unless you have been with that lawyer for a long time and have had a good history with them. If others you know and trust use them and have been well represented, this can tend to show you they are a good lawyer.

Maybe you don't need a "good" lawyer, but rather a lawyer that is "good enough".

justin said:
This sounds like the intro to a good lawyer joke!!!  :)

Seriously, you really don't unless you have been with that lawyer for a long time and have had a good history with them.  If others you know and trust use them and have been well represented, this can tend to show you they are a good lawyer.

Maybe you don't need a "good" lawyer, but rather a lawyer that is "good enough". 

I am grooming one now to be my go-to guy. He is a friend of the family,
small town, one attorney office. What sold me the most was I have
pitched several quickie questions and got good answers, and have never
received a bill. Very unusual.

JG

Back
Top Bottom