Oddest book title...

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Bookseller.com reports... "I'm pleased to announce that it is: People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What To Do About It. This highly practical guide won 24% of the popular vote." (I think we used to have a forum member who fit in here somewhere...)

From Amazon's blurb: "When people die by accident, in violence, or maybe they're drunk, stoned, or angry, they get freeze-framed. Even if they die naturally but have no clue what to expect, they might not notice they're dead. It's frustrating to see and not be seen. It's frustrating to not know what you're supposed to do next. It's especially frustrating to be in someone else's body and think it's your own. That's if you're dead. If you're alive and that spirit has attached itself to you, well that's a whole other set of frustrations."

The blurb pales by comparison to the publisher's response: "Imagine our delight... With the notoriety we're considering making this book the start of a series; future titles under consideration are People Who Don't Know They're Stupid, People Who Don't Know They're Fat and People Who Don't Know They Don't Know How To Read."

Available now at http://tinyurl.com/klhnv

The bookseller.com award: http://www.thebookseller.com/?pid=8&did=18851

"Mayonnaise and the Origin of Life : Thoughts of Minds and Molecules"

Witness the title piece, in which Morowitz notes that the egg yolk in mayonnaise contains the amphiphilic chemistry that homogenizes oil and vinegar, and then ponders the "salad days" of our planet when, possibly, amphiphiles played a role in biogenesis. His wit consistently blends the kitchen-commonplace with sophisticated theory. Morowtiz is a sage-celebrant at heart, and we share his pleasure as he contemplates the beauties of biochemistry, mathematics, beetles, bacteria (do they think?) and, in an essay on Teilhard de Chardin's The Phenomenon of Man, questions the nature and origins of reflective thought.

Yes, I read it. :p

How they possibly missed The 2006-2011 World Outlook for Laundry Dryer Sheets I will never know.

Also available at Amazon.com (for a mere $795.00 :eek: ) at http://tinyurl.com/ftoln

The Tomato of the Unconscious

In a small town where we lived in for one year (San Casciano dei Bagni) a local authoress had her book prominently displayed at the local news stand: Il pomodoro dell'inconscio..

(The Tomato of the Unconscious)

Well you could try the "Guide To Death Valley Kayaking" Friends from my kayak club actually did kayak Death Valley last year when they had a 100 year record rain. Pretty bad paddling, just a beautiful place.

Re: The Tomato of the Unconscious

ladelfina said:
In a small town where we lived in for one year (San Casciano dei Bagni) a local authoress had her book prominently displayed at the local news stand: Il pomodoro dell'inconscio..

(The Tomato of the Unconscious)
Isn't that related to the classic film "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"?

Back
Top Bottom