Oil Change on cars

AFAIK, linseed oil and other wood polish/preserving type oils are 'drying oils'. In the process of drying, they are oxidizing, and that is just a slow combustion process. Heat is developed as they dry. That is why they can self-combust.

But car oil won't dry, so I don't think it will generate its own heat, but it is flammable, so you should still be careful with it.

-ERD50
This.

But I still would not store oily rags, even if it is motor oil. Just not a good idea. You just never know.

I had a family member almost burn down their house by grouping together a few rags after using a water seal kind of product. The smoke detector saved them and the house. But they lost the floor.

AFAIK, linseed oil and other wood polish/preserving type oils are 'drying oils'. In the process of drying, they are oxidizing, and that is just a slow combustion process. Heat is developed as they dry. That is why they can self-combust.

But car oil won't dry, so I don't think it will generate its own heat, but it is flammable, so you should still be careful with it.

-ERD50

Correct, petroleum products do not have the problem. Yes they are a flammability hazard if they get a spark or flame, but they will not spontaneously combust.

On my own vehicles I just use paper towels and throw them away in trash, and then collect used oil in a 5 gal can that gets dumped into recycling bin when full.

An acquaintance with an oil-burning heat stove burns all of his, and even throws the used filters in and burns out the filter, leaving just the steel shell. He has no waste.

Did you need your drain plug threads stripped? Or maybe the crankcase over filled?

:LOL: Or maybe I wanted to see if they would tighten the oil filter well enough so it wouldn't leak. I understand that happens a lot with those guys. Trust me when I say, my oil filters never leak once I put them on. A bad habit but I tend to over-tighten "most" everything.

Thinking back, I seem to remember the only reason I went there that one time was back in the days when I lived in the big city, and didn't have my lift rack and it was below freezing outside. I really don't like working with hand tools in below freezing weather. Not a problem anymore. My primary work area can be fully closed off and has a good heater for cold weather and swamp cooler for hot weather.

Last edited:
i've changed my own oil since the beginning until 2012 when I bought a miata. my steel ramps didn't work so i started with a lube joint. With a coupon it coast me $5 more than doin it myself. but now...got to take the vette to the dealer for the oil change. my first 3 are free--7 qts mobile one plus additional CORVETTE charges :)

"You own a Corvette so you must be rich so we're gonna charge you more just for the heck of it?"

C4 vettes are very affordable right now - you can get a really nice one for under 10K. Heck, right now I'm looking at a 2004 Z06 for $20K

People are even doing "rat rod" builds out of c4s now

ounqlfznxvs6zbdgk3qr.jpg

I stay away from mobil1 myself - I use eneos

Last edited:
I burn the oil rags in my fire bin. Better to return CO2 to trees for cleaning up rather than leaching back oil into ground water. The old oil gets recycled at a local auto part store. By the way, I have Fumoto drain valve on all my vehicles. Easy to drain and no more stripped threads on the oil pan!!

+1, Fumoto valve. Been using on all my vehicles for over 20+ years.
(ball/valve, replaces oil plug). Makes draining the oil a snap.

Also, car ramps, why? I just drive my car parallel to the driveway. And put
the front right tire on the curb. Raises the car just enough so I can remove
the oil filter and open the Fumoto valve. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom