Paul Newman Dead! Favortite Movie?

And here all I thought was he made lemonade.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid is one of my all time favorite movies.

Cool Hand Luke is my favorite, but the characters and dialog in the Long Hot Summer are also very entertaining.

I also liked him in the movie Hombre.

The Hustler and the Color of Money. I loved "Fast Eddie":smitten:

Butch Cassidy & ths SD kid - timeless movie.

Paul Newman really had it together.

What a man! What a life. He did it all until he couldn't anymore. And literally raced.

Can't think of a specific movie, but prefer the ones toward the end of his career. What really comes to mind is his wife's voice overs. Was that an ideal Hollywood marriage? So sorry, it was too soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 3
"What we have here is a failure to communicate" and the egg eating contest...

Cool Hand Luke was his very best.

we have lost a true cinema legend and an honest philanthropist...

Did what he loved on his own terms until he was 82, happily married for 50 years--he must have felt like the luckiest man in the world.

Butch Cassidy for me.

Cool Hand Luke. One of the few classics that will live on for a very long time.

The song he sang when he found out his mother died in the movie is a subclassic of that classic movie. YouTube - Plastic Jesus Cool Hand Luke

Shakin it here boss. RIP.

Cool Hand Luke.

A life well lived. May he rest in peace.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Or Cool Hand Luke. Or Hud. Or any film he acted in.

I have a personal Paul Newman story to share: In my past life, I attended hundreds of charitable events representing MegaCorp. About 10 years ago, I attended a charity gala for the Jackie Robinson Scholarship Foundation at the Waldorf=Astoria in NYC. At the pre-dinner cocktail reception, I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Newman. Before I was introduced to him, I was warned not to be a fawning fan (i.e., don't ask for his autograph and don't take his picture!) so I racked my brain trying to think of something "smart" to say to him. I remembered that a colleague of mine had some connection to the Hole in the Wall Camps that Paul Newman was so passionate about, so when we were introduced, I mentioned that we had a mutual friend, and that my colleague had recently suffered a heart attack.

Mr. Newman asked me if I had my colleague's home address so he could drop him a note. I didn't have the information with me, of course, so Mr. Newman asked me for my card (!!!) and then gave me his card on which he wrote his assistant's name and phone number. He asked me to call his assistant with the address info, and I said I would do so.

The next morning I called my office for my phone messages and was told that "a woman who said she worked for Paul Newman" called and wanted to know if I left any information for him. My assistant thought it was me playing a joke on her as she was a huge P.N. fan. When I returned to the office, I gave her Paul's calling card as a souvenir. I did get the information to Paul Newman's office that day...and several days later, my colleague called me to say that he just received the most touching, handwritten get well note from Paul that referenced our brief meeting at the Waldorf.

What a lovely, genuine gentleman!

What a lovely, genuine gentleman!

Thanks for sharing such a great story about Paul Newman. I have always liked and admired him both for his talent and what he did with his life. He was different than the usual Hollywood crowd for sure.

He had so many great movies, but I think my favorite was "From The Terrace".

He was different than the usual Hollywood crowd for sure.

Maybe partly because he chose to live in Westport, Connecticut instead of the Los Angeles area.

Back
Top Bottom