Personal Hair Cutting Product recommendation?

In CA " Grooming" is considered essential, so the barber shops and Salons are exempt. In the inner city in Los Angeles, a lot of the barber shops are illegal sports books , but with no sports being played, kind of a moot point.

Fantastic, I'll let you know on Wednesday as I get my hair cut every two weeks

In Michigan they were just forced to close all barber shops, salons, spas, . . .

I was a closet Flowbee user for a long time. I "came out" here on this board because there were others like me that admitted being one :LOL:

After a couple of months of everyone cutting their own hair.

EThDIOiXsAMVski

Thanks everyone. I ordered a Wahl from Amazon that is already on backorder until 4/6. That's 3 days later than when I glanced at it last night. I'm guessing they are going fast.
Yup. Thanks from me, too. I wouldn't have thought of this, despite already being overdue for a haircut, without this thread.

I ordered this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7QXQV0 yesterday and it is statused as "Out for Delivery" today.

Our Bijon is going to need a trim soon, do they make a dog Flowbee?

Just doing a quick search, it would appear that their fur is too kinky to get pulled up to the cutters. Flowbee attaches to a vucuum cleaner to lift hair/fur to the cutters. YMMV.

I use a Wahl trimmer with changeable guards/combs to adjust the length.
Slap on a #3 guard (about 3/8ths of an inch?) and just start mowing.

But then I'm mostly bald to start with so its not exactly a stylist job.

We tried some cheap trimmers from Harbor Freight. Worked OK to start with, but the blades got dull REALLY fast and started pulling hair. The Wahl has been on duty for several years with no issues.

Thanks guys/gals. Reminded me that I needed to cut my hair (social-isolation means I don't care). Anyhow, pulled out the Flowbee, cut my hair (not bad, if I admit) and since I had the vacuum out, did the living room, behind the tv and the steps. A 10 minute job turned into an hour long event. Thanks everyone! :D

I'm going to need a haircut in another week or 2. By then I presume haircutting places will be closed by law. In any event, I wouldn't risk that close contact. Anyone have a recommendation? There are so many out there (Wahl, Ceenwes, etc.).
At the place I ordinarily go to, my haircut is quite easy: 3 on the side, 5 on the top. What the 3 and 5 are, though, I have no idea. I see all of the products have various "guide combs" so I presume somewhere in that mix are 3 and 5.
Suggestions?

(P.S. Others may want to follow my lead. This may be the next product to be in short supply).
I bought an inexpensive Whal clipper kit from Walmart. It comes with several guards, 2 combs and scissors. Only thing I don't like is that it's not a full size clipper. It's not the small trimmer either, so it midsize. I actually got it last July when I FIRE'd and learned by watching some YouTube videos. First time will be awkward, but you will catch on quickly. I still have to have DW trim my neck; I can't do the double mirror trick.

I bought an inexpensive Whal clipper kit from Walmart. It comes with several guards, 2 combs and scissors. Only thing I don't like is that it's not a full size clipper. It's not the small trimmer either, so it midsize. I actually got it last July when I FIRE'd and learned by watching some YouTube videos. First time will be awkward, but you will catch on quickly. I still have to have DW trim my neck; I can't do the double mirror trick.

I use this one https://www.ebay.com/i/264320766187...7IbytTPhAB-FGNEsl9EDB0jlS_EBlqFgaAgkLEALw_wcB

It works great for for me they have it on amazon also

Glad to hear you all have hair. Mine abandoned ship on the top decades ago so only the sides and back are left. I get a hair cut maybe once every 6-9 months. If it has to go longer it doesn't matter since I have been retired about 8 years. Here is something to think about.

Cheers!

If you get really desperate and like hair cut close you might get by with a mustache trimmer. I have some that have depth guides just like the larger more powerful trimmers do.

I have a electric trimmer I have used when I was just too buy to get into my barber place.
I find I can trim up the sides a couple of times and use hair gel it looks nice.. But alas after too many times neglecting the top and forgetting the gel...
kind of reminds me of a q tip.. lol

I had an appointment at the barber shop but it got cancelled because it was on the day we went into lockdown. Soooo, I'm gonna need to improvise. I've been wanting to see how I'd look with a short buzz cut (due to a receding hairline), and now may actually be the best time to try it. I have a Wahl trimmer, which I usually use on my beard, so I may go to town with it in a few days.

I've used a Flowbee since 1982 and attribute this decision as one of the top 10 reasons for my ability to FIRE. :LOL:

Same here but a little later, mid-90s for me. Very easy when you have a cowlick and there's only one way to do your hair anyway.

I'm only on my 2nd Flowbee, first one lasted 20 years or so.

I received my Wahl "Color Pro" (8 colored guides from 1/8" to 1" length) about a week ago, but haven't used it yet. Figure I'll try it (or ask my DW to experiment on me) in about a week.

If the 1" is too short for some folks Wahl sells separate 1.25" and 1.5" guides that are still in stock on Amazon.

What's the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut? About 3 weeks! :facepalm:

OP here with update. Got the haircutting kit (Wahl ColorPro) yesterday, and successful haircut today. DW did the haircutting. I suspect I could have done it, but frankly I don't think it would have been easy.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 54
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 55
Yesterday, I cut my husband's hair for the first time with the new Wahl cutters that arrived by mail. Trimmed the bottom part of his head without the #2 guard on - whoops! We had a good laugh and I tried to blend the top into his now very short nape. But we're not going anywhere, and it'll grow out soon enough.

OP here with update. Got the haircutting kit (Wahl ColorPro) yesterday, and successful haircut today. DW did the haircutting. I suspect I could have done it, but frankly I don't think it would have been easy.

Jeffrey Epstein's not dead! :)

(especially that first pic)

My DW used to trim my hair from time to time, but it's been a couple decades since she last did so. Since my hair is wavy and thick and a bit of a challenge to cut, I go to a stylist. It's very easy to make my hair look awful with a bad haircut. Honestly, I don't think my DW nor I would want to attempt to cut it at home. I still have a good amount of hair at age 60, so no barber or buzz cut for me. I usually get a haircut every 5 weeks and I am 3 weeks into the current cut, so I may just wait out the shutdowns. But if this extends past April 30, I may be forced to revisit this thread for suggestions.

Tried out my new clippers today and I must say it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I watched a couple of how to videos and took my time. Cut on the lite side as I didn't want a major goof but enough to look and feel better. Will still get professional haircuts in the future but I should be able to reduce those quite a bit by using my clippers some.

Last edited:
Received the Wahl clippers and DW did an awesome job at my simple cut. Normally a #1 all over. She started with a 1.5 for practice and ended up liking it better. I'm good and I don't have to go out for that useless chore anymore.

I gave my DH a haircut yesterday. I’ve been doing it for years, so no real change in his hair because of Coronavirus lockdown.

I’m past due for a cut with no chance to get one until May at the earliest. It will be hard to resist hacking away on my own.

I have done mine for years. I do the half inch all around and is really very easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom