Phrase that came out of the blue

UnrealizedPotential

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I first started noticing this phrase recently. The phrase is true dat. What? Where did this phrase come from? I can live with it, but I will not use it. It just sounds weird to me.
When did this phrase get started ? Does anybody know?

If there are other phrases that other posters wonder about feel free to post them here. I realize that languages constantly change, I get that. The English language is probably the World master at that, or at least in the running for it. Does it start with a popular song and people just get used to a new phrase or does somebody just make up some words and it becomes a new thing?

Last edited:
If you are over 40 and you say True dat....:

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 132
When I was in high school, I would periodically pick an unusual word or phrase and start using it regularly. Then, I would wait until I heard other kids using it. When a sufficient number of them did, I would pick something else and start saying that. One of the words I chose was "indeed", to be used in exactly the same circumstances as "word" or "true dat". Today, I might look into a career as an "influencer", but back then I was just messing around with people and amusing myself.

If true dat is new to you, you've not watched The Wire, ya feel me?

Keen o jets!

heh heh heh - now that's dated. Really! :dance: :dance::rolleyes: :cool:

Always sounded to me like it came from 'Kaybek'.

Even though my kids are married and on their own, I still ask them when I hear new words, phrases, sayings, etc that are unknown to me.

On the other hand, I like to resurrect old words or phrases to use with them. The last one I started using frequently was "groovy". That always gets them rolling their eyes and giving each other knowing looks about their dad's onrushing senility. :D

I always hated “my bad”. It just sounds so flipped when a true apology is warranted. It’s like taking responsibility for something and blowing it off all in two words.

I always hated “my bad”. It just sounds so flipped when a true apology is warranted. It’s like taking responsibility for something and blowing it off all in two words.
+1. Someone tells me "my bad" and what I hear is "It's my fault, but I think I'm still cooler than you." And if they tell me "mea culpa" I hear "It's my fault, but I think I'm still smarter than you."

Someone tells me "my bad" and what I hear is "It's my fault, but I think I'm still cooler than you." And if they tell me "mea culpa" I hear "It's my fault, but I think I'm still smarter than you."

Nobody ever talks to me, so I don't have those problems.

Oppps, my bad, I see now I should use “This.” There is no end to the useful things I learn here [emoji4]!

A small French lesson: After Gaul was conquered by the Romans and Vulgar Latin came into widespread use, the people in the North of France came to say "hoc ille", meaning "this is it", to indicative assent or affirmation (i.e. - yes). In the South of France, they just said "hoc", meaning "this". Over time, "hoc ille" morphed into "oil" and subsequently "oui". "Hoc" became "oc". The two languages in France became known as the Langue d'oil and the Langue d'oc, classified by the way they each said "yes". During the consolidation of France as a national entity, the nobles of the North prevailed over those of the South. That is why in standard French today, "yes" is "oui". In Occitan, the dialect of the South, spoken most notably in Languedoc-Roussillon, "yes" remains "oc".

One of the best things that happened in retirement is to not have to listen to people in meetings trying to interject the phrase "lean in" every time they spoke. It appeared from nowhere - at least to me - about 5 years b4 retirement & drove me nuts after the 3rd instance in a week. I was nuts a lot. I have heard it once since I left.

"Absolutely" (instead of "Yes") used to irritate me.

One of the best things that happened in retirement is to not have to listen to people in meetings trying to interject the phrase "lean in" every time they spoke. It appeared from nowhere - at least to me - about 5 years b4 retirement & drove me nuts after the 3rd instance in a week. I was nuts a lot. I have heard it once since I left.

Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, wrote a bestselling book with that title in 2013.

On the other hand, I like to resurrect old words or phrases to use with them. The last one I started using frequently was "groovy". That always gets them rolling their eyes and giving each other knowing looks about their dad's onrushing senility. :D
I enjoy doing this, too, for the same reason. "Groovy", "bitchen!", "boss!", even "far out!" have done well for me. I'm thinking that Valley Girl "uptalk" might be worth a go, but I'm not sure I can stand it.

I've recently heard people use the phrase "search it up" instead of "Google it". Kind of makes sense given there are other search engines beyond Google.

Back
Top Bottom