Planetary alignment on Monday

I went out just after sundown, Venus (~ half-way up the sky) was bright enough to see clearly, at that point it was too bright to see Mars. And it was still quite bright at the horizon, no way I'd see Jupiter, which is just above the horizon. It might even be behind the buildings a mile away.

I went out later (20 minutes?), and it was dark enough to see Mars pretty easily, but still no Jupiter. Well, I'm not sure two planets in alignment is all that exciting, but it was still kinda neat. Chilly, but no mosquitos ( a real problem trying to catch the Perseid Meteor Showers in August).

-ERD50

No see here. The next storm front is moving in. Gonna be wet tomorrow.

I looked up a couple of nights. All I could see was the moon and venus. At least I tried. Friend of mine did get 4 planets.

We have a spot where we like to park on Mariner's Ridge which gives a relatively dark and uncluttered view of the ecliptic. Unfortunately, viewing conditions were not ideal for the conjunction with clouds and too much light pollution. I sense that near absolute darkness was required for a good view, but the clouds pretty well ruled that out for us.

I live in the suburbs and had no problem seeing the planets. But you did not have all night - only an hour or so after sunset I think I read it was.

Back
Top Bottom