Please don't bash George W. he is doing a great service

whitestick

Recycles dryer sheets
After all, if something were to happen to him, he could leave Cheney in charge. Wonder how the war effort would go then? :rant:

I am an independent. Many friends and colleagues are staunch republicans. Most of them (who discuss politics and the war) agree that GW made a bad judgment call going into iraq. The few that stand behind him (that I know) are fairly transparent in that they will not speak ill of him because of their loyalty to the party (speak no evil).

His motives have been questioned and will continue to be questioned along with the wisdom of the decision.

That money would have been better spent to research and build energy independence... which why we are where we are today. If it were not for our dependence on oil... we would not be in there. :p

I think that the endeavors & accomplishments of the Bush administration have been one of history's strongest testaments to the strength of the Constitution and the robust system of American government.

In other words: if Bush & Co can't bring it down, then who could? Certainly not Al Gore or John Kerry...

If it were not for our dependence on oil... we would not be in there. :p

I've heard this repeated so many times, but I've never heard it explained.

Please, don't just think it is obvious - think it through. I just don't think it works that way. Can you tell me why you (or anyone else) thinks so?

-ERD50

I vote to end this thread now before it becomes another political squabble.
:duh:

I promise not to bash W, but is it alright to do some minor pummeling? >:D

i vote we bring back the dynamic duo...

img_550455_0_7fe5faf017d515155d64fca84e16bd04.jpg

The Joy of Being Retired

Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting. Well, for example, the other day I went downtown and went into a shop. I was only in there for about five minutes and, when I came out, there was a cop writing out a parking ticket.

I went up to him and said, "Come on, man, how about giving a retired person a break"? He ignored me and continued writing the ticket. I called him a "Nazi." He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tires. So I called him a "doughnut-eating Gestapo pig." He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first.

Then he spotted a crack in the windshield and started writing a third ticket. This went on for about 20 minutes. The more I abused him, the more things he found wrong and the more tickets he wrote.

Personally, I didn't care. I came downtown on the bus. The car he was putting the tickets on had a bumper sticker that read: "Bush in 06." I try to have a little fun each day, now that I'm retired. It's important to my health.

Please Don't Bash George W

With the recent resignations of Rove and Gonzales now the state of Texas, will really be infested with the varmints known as Chupacabra.

Unfortunately, sometime in Jan 2009 the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS will once again suffer from another major infestation of varmits of Chaupacabras when Old George W and company finishes his term and they migrate from D>C to Texas.

I am sure that the fine citizens of Iraq would welcome this varmint with open arms and hail him as a liberator.:p

I think that the endeavors & accomplishments of the Bush administration have been one of history's strongest testaments to the strength of the Constitution and the robust system of American government.

In other words: if Bush & Co can't bring it down, then who could? Certainly not Al Gore or John Kerry...

"I will support and defend the Constitution..."

:D:D:D

Yesterday at work I said something VERY unkind about Bush and his promise in Jackson Square to bring New Orleans back.

He must have sensed it, because he got his revenge last night! I was innocently watching TV when I heard a helicopter that was so loud it made my house shake, and then got louder and louder - - so loud that I literally hit the deck and covered my head! First time in five years I have done that.

After it became obvious that it wasn't going to crash into my living room, I ran to the front door and saw the two Presidential helicopters receding just above the treetops. They were taking GWB from the airport to the Lower Ninth Ward, where he landed less than five minutes later. He is here for the second anniversary of Katrina, to tell us everything is wonderful (it's not) and we are well on the way to recovery (we're not).

I think he was close enough to me that I could have told him what I thought personally, had I been outside!

I've heard this repeated so many times, but I've never heard it explained. Please, don't just think it is obvious - think it through. I just don't think it works that way. Can you tell me why you (or anyone else) thinks so?
-ERD50

Assuming you are serious (which a doubt), I will take a shot at answering this question. Generally, most war apologist state we are in Iraq for one of three reasons (or some combination of these reasons) 1) They possessed weapons of mass destruction that might be transferred to agents hostile to the US or directly used against the US 2) Saddam was a bad man and Iraq needed to be rescued from him 3) Iraq supported terrorism.

The reason that almost everyone understanding were are only because Iraq has oil in the fact that all of these situations exist in other countries, but yet we have not invaded any of them. I will give you a list of countries that fall into each of categories:

1) North Korea, Pakistan and various central Asian -stan countries.
2) Pretty much all of Africa and the Middle East (including our stellar allies Pakistan, Saudi Arabia), and assorted nations in South, Central and Southeast Asia, including our largest trading partner, China and standout North Korea.
3) Saudi Arabia, Syria, North Korea, Egypt, Pakistan.

You note that Pakistan is on all three list (no oil) and Saudi Arabia is on two (freely provides oil, no need to invade). If you really think we would have invaded Iraq if it had no oil and was located in central Africa, you are not investigating the issue as closely as perhaps you should. Think North Korea, which has detonated an a-bomb, directly committed terrorist acts (kidnapping, counterfeiting and hijacking us ships) and is ruled by the most vicious, low-down dictator on the planet. Why have we not invaded? Could it be they have no strategic resources?

OTOH, I have no problem with the basic concept. Why should we mess around in affairs that do not concern our strategic interest? Just be a man and admit it, however.

Originally Posted by chinaco
If it were not for our dependence on oil... we would not be in there.
tongue.gif

I've heard this repeated so many times, but I've never heard it explained.

Please, don't just think it is obvious - think it through. I just don't think it works that way. Can you tell me why you (or anyone else) thinks so?

-ERD50

Assuming you are serious (which a doubt)

Actually, I am very serious. But I am asking from an economic view, not a political one. You started answering a different question from what I asked.

I didn't ask 'Why did we invade Iraq?', I asked, 'Did we invade Iraq because of our dependance on foreign oil?'. I think it is a reasonable question, and one that people jump to conclusions on without thinking it through.

I'm going to start a new thread on this. 1) to get away from the obvious political title of this thread, and 2) those pictures of Al & Bill kinda weird me out! (no offense LGFNB!).

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom