Police Report Procedure

Wow that's interesting. A question that turns into an invitation. Must vary by area/state. I recall the only time I called the sheriff's office out here, asking about the neighbors illegal late night fireworks display. The dispatch would not send anyone out unless I was willing to file a complaint.

I'm glad you dog is a little less gun shy. Thats what got me upset, those fireworks were scaring our outdoor dog. I would go with your plan as well.
MRG

There are rude people in every profession. The deputy was more or less correct in what he was doing, but was rude and handled the explanation of why he was doing it badly.
Agree 100%.

From the OP's description of events, the deputy sounds inexperienced, immature, or a combination of the two. Most cops learn that being confrontational is stupid and just gets you into a fight. Those always involve paperwork, personal risk, a dirty uniform, maybe a couple scratches, and often a complaint that generates a ton more paperwork and the risk of discipline. You learn how to talk people into all sorts of things they would never do if you demanded it.

But the deputy was absolutely right about one thing. When you invite the police to come into your life, you get the whole effect. They don't put on blinders and just worry about the problem you called about, they're going to be professionally observant and curious - it is what they are expected to do.

Cops are mostly great people, most of my friends are cops or retired cops. But when it comes to inviting law enforcement into my life in their official capacity - I avoid it like the plague. Stealing a line from Forest Gump, calling 911 is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. You will probably get a professional, but you might get a disaster wearing a badge. I don't take that risk lightly.

Last edited:
30 years in LE. Not unusual for the Deputy to ask for DL to get your information, verify your DL matches you and run a routine check, but he was being very overbearing to treat you in the way you report he did. If I were you I would talk with an administrator in his agency to see if they have such a policy. The agency might not want their employees acting this way and making their citizens feel the way he made he feel.

Behavior such as he described would definitely have earned anyone where I worked at least a chat with a Lt. or Captain. These are not friendly chats.

I've been thinking about this and have decided that my point of view might be a bit skewed. I spent almost all my life living in a community of less than 1500 people and it would have been an insult for a local cop to ask to see an ID unless he was writing up a ticket. Everyone knew everyone in a town like that.

I am urban. You are rural. So, the shots fired and the way local LE handle things may be different.

Yeah, I would ask to speak to the chief, or the captain, or whoever is in the chain.

You are just a concerned citizen interested in the safety of the community. You did not invite the cop into your home when you made that phone call.

It was handles badly.

Ofcourse, without any oversight, the local sheriff might be as bad as this cop.

Back
Top Bottom