• Salad is my main dish

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • No salad for me

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • I prefer not to answer

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We eat lots of salad. At restaurants salad is always served at the beginning of the meal, but when we eat at home I always have salad after the main dish – only because it is simpler logistically and lets us enjoy the main dish while it is still hot. Just wondering how others include salad into their meals.

I don't know how to answer the poll because we do the same--before at a restaurant, after when eating at home.

We have a green salad and entree every night when we eat at home. Restaurant portions for both salad and entree are so much bigger that I probably would just bring the salad home if it were served after the meal.

In our household the main entry has lots of vegetables, 2 types of vegetables always. To me salad has crunch value but not much else. My husband likes home grown tomatoes with it, so there is some value.

We have a one hour salad at home maybe 5-6 times a week. Takes one hour to make and one hour to chew and eat. Romaine, carrots, celery, red beets we shred ourselves, mushrooms, sweet onion, home cooked garbanzo beans, home sprouted broccoli sprouts, pumpkin seeds, avocado, olives, dress the salad with avocado oil, and white balsamic vinegar.

We have a one hour salad at home maybe 5-6 times a week. Takes one hour to make and one hour to chew and eat. Romaine, carrots, celery, red beets we shred ourselves, mushrooms, sweet onion, home cooked garbanzo beans, home sprouted broccoli sprouts, pumpkin seeds, avocado, olives, dress the salad with avocado oil, and white balsamic vinegar.

That sounds wonderful, I'll have to try a few.

Thank you for reminding me. I used to call one of my m@nglers the Salad Mangler.

Discussing an issue I was passionate about with him was just like eating a huge salad. After chewing for a while, I was never satisfied, just get tired of chewing and eventually stopped.

I started eating salad as the first and main course a few years ago. I tend to eat much healthier that way because I'm pretty full by the time I eat any of the main course and overall probably eat fewer "bad" calories. I eat 1/3 to 1/2 of the main course volume compared to what I used to eat before I started eating large salads. I load up my salads with 8-10 different ingredients so I get a lot of variety and nutrition in them.

We eat lots of salad. At restaurants salad is always served at the beginning of the meal, but when we eat at home I always have salad after the main dish – only because it is simpler logistically and lets us enjoy the main dish while it is still hot. Just wondering how others include salad into their meals.

Exactly as me. Either way, always have at least one salad per day.

Sometimes I question what a salad is. I'm calling the awesome grilled watermelon a salad tonight:

Attachments

• 1463614921134.jpg
    1463614921134.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
I'll eat salad right after I turn into a rabbit. In the mean time, i'll eat human food.

Usually salad is a main course or I don't mess with it at all. But sometimes we'll have leftovers but not quite enough to feed everyone so a salad fills in. I guess we're conditioned to eat it first from the way they serve courses in restaurants, though I enjoy it more as a side dish to the main course.

Salad usually before the main course, but sometimes with the main course at home due to timing of whatever else we're eating

When we're out, the salad comes first.

When we're home, sometimes first, sometimes t's the main course and sometimes before, during and after the main course.

I said with but it is actually totally variable. At restaurants usually have the salad first or salad is the main dish but at home pretty much anything can happen - before, with, after, meal in itself or no salad with the meal. Maybe I should just not have answered.

Don't know about you guys but I'm going to skip the ice cream tonight and have a salad for dessert!

None of the responses suited my particular style. I don't eat salad as such, but do like to snack on greens throughout the day. My current "fast food snack" is dipping into a bag of Trader Joe's "Cruciferous Crunch". It's a mix of chopped kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli and green cabbage & red cabbage. It's crunchy, and the kale gives it a tang.

I chose "I prefer to eat salad before the main dish".

I suppose I could have answered, "Salad is my main dish" because at times that is the case. However it's not my main dish at every meal, so this answer did not seem quite correct for me.

Same here exactly....When its the main course for lunch, I chop up some chicken an add it to make sure I feel full.

We typically serve the salad with the main dish at home, although I eat the salad first. Many times we will make a nice full salad and that is the meal itself.

Blue cheese dressing is a vegetable, right?

Sure is. Buddy of mine tells his dietician DW he had a vegetable platter with bacon. That's his description of a BLT with cheese and a side of onion rings. :)

We serve salad and the main dinner together. I eat the salad first while I let the main course cool. DW eats the main course first because she likes it steaming hot.
--Mr & Mrs Sprat

Usually eat salad as the vegetable on the dinner plate. With guests over, we have a separate plate but also serve bread (unusual for us), so some guests use the plate for salad and others for bread. Keeps them guessing.

We often have salad as a main: Asian Chicken Salad, Chicken Caesar Salad, Tuna Italian Salad etc.

We often have a one bowl meal that is a stir fry or other creation and do not have a separate salad in those cases because there are plenty of vegetables and even hot spinach/lettuce stirred in.

DW often preps the salad first because we are both a bit hungry. Then we eat it while the main course is cooking. She knows I love salads.

Sometimes when the dish is small we have the salad and main course together. Tonight we are having steak and salad. Might have them together.

Last night we had a shrimp salad with garlic bread. The garlic bread comes pre-buttered (from Whole Foods). Just toast in oven and serve.

I eat salad when it is put in front of me whether at home or eating out.

I usually make a week's worth of salads for use at home. They are basically almost all the same and go into plastic bowls with lids made which are really cookie dough tubs since they are deeper than Chinese take-out plasticware. The lids keep the vegetables crisp and mold-free for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

It takes less than 10 minutes to divide up a bags of baby spinach leaves (add exotic leaves to taste like kale), walnuts, mini-peeled carrots, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, craisins, etc into 8 tubs.

I'll add protein to a salad just before eating. The protein could be leftovers (Chinese, Thai, Indian, chicken, fish, steak), a hard-boiled egg, yogurt, hummus, or something else. I'll zap the leftovers if needed to warm them up before adding.

Croutons, fresh ground pepper, and salad dressing to taste

Anyways, a complete meal with almost no preparation, no cooking, and no clean-up.

Back
Top Bottom