Votes: 74 42.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 42.8%
  • Unsure/Havent Tested

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • No interest

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters
In my earlier working years, I was INTJ as were a number of others. As I "matured" (OK, just got older), I was ENTJ.

Now, I am DGAF. :D:D

:LOL:

In my earlier years, I tested multiple times as an ESTJ. But I can say with 100% confidence DGAF is by far, a more accurate description! :D

Can't remember what I was before, so I took the test again.

I'm an ISTJ

Seems like INTJ's are prevalent on this board. I need to figure out what separates INTJ's from ISTJ's.

eta: Found the differences. And they make sense.

https://introvertdear.com/news/intj-istj-similarities-differences/
It looks like you have great company Ronstar.
Famous ISTJs include Queen Elizabeth II, Harry Truman, Warren Buffett, Queen Victoria, George H.W. Bush, and J.D. Rockefeller.

Most of the time I get ISTJ, but depending on the version of the test (and maybe my mood that day?), I occasionally get INTJ.

It looks like you have great company Ronstar.
Famous ISTJs include Queen Elizabeth II, Harry Truman, Warren Buffett, Queen Victoria, George H.W. Bush, and J.D. Rockefeller.

The examples are always funny. They never say things like, "Your type includes Attila the Hun, Elmer Fudd, Fred Merkle, and assorted serial killers."

Certainly, INTJ's preference for efficiency is one reason so many are at this FIRE board, but I can't help but wonder if the era of technology plays a role. Many here earned well-above average money from high-paying jobs in the post-1970 tech industry. What jobs would INTJ's been doing, oh, around the year 1800? Did those jobs also pay at a higher rate? If not, INTJ might not have been the top FIRE type of that era.

This was a big thing for many years where I worked, forced on us for "team work" to understand our co workers. Never had any faith in it, easy to change the outcome based on how you answer the questions.

As an INFJ, taking the tests at work to promote teamwork was always a big waste of time in my opinion. I always felt that the clueless people who didn't get along weren't going to magically become easier to work with. For my own knowledge it was interesting. I did not get the private office the test indicated I should have :). A meaningless test (like so many things I don't miss form work) where they don't implement anything.

Last edited:
Whatever you want to call it, certainly there are many traits common among posters here and other ER forums, especially the ability to think and plan long term. I usually come out as INTJ but I've tried to be more social these days, especially now that we are retired and I have enough "me time" to just read or work on my hobbies.

Certainly, INTJ's preference for efficiency is one reason so many are at this FIRE board, but I can't help but wonder if the era of technology plays a role. Many here earned well-above average money from high-paying jobs in the post-1970 tech industry. What jobs would INTJ's been doing, oh, around the year 1800? Did those jobs also pay at a higher rate? If not, INTJ might not have been the top FIRE type of that era.

Well that certainly could be a factor, but the person earning all that money has to also be able to save a good chunk of it plus think long term as DLDS points out, and that certainly requires certain personality characteristics.

Last edited:
Well that certainly could be a factor, but the person earning all that money has to also be able to save a good chunk of it plus think long term as DLDS points out, and that certainly requires certain personality characteristics.

My MBTI skepticism aside, THAT I must agree with. All the factors that must come together that allow a person to have a vision for their life decades into the future coupled with the willingness to delay gratification now and take action toward it seem exceedingly-rare.

In my twenties, I just had an expectation and personal vision that I would be wealthy someday. After a bunch of study about how best to do it, I decided that a high savings rate in 401ks and IRAs offered the most sure-fire, replicable path to my goal. Now at 54, I’m knocking on the door of being a multimillionaire, so my 20s-self was right.

Last edited:
I would guess that the single personality/character trait most shared by the members of this board is the ability to pass the marshmallow test when they were children. There are many roads from there to ER, but that is where they all start.

A question that I thought about just while reading this thread. If INTJ (as example), does that make ESFP (as opposing Meyers Briggs), to be essentially opposite personality? For the discussion, could INTJ ever successfully work with an ESFP?

I would guess that the single personality/character trait most shared by the members of this board is the ability to pass the marshmallow test when they were children. There are many roads from there to ER, but that is where they all start.
I think you're right

Looking back at an old thread, I see that I tested ISTJ. Probably true, but I do try to socialize quite a bit now that I am retired.

I think you are right, but not for the reason you may think. Further research seems to indicate that the tendency to delay gratification is nurtured by the security of being well off. In poor circumstances, it may be a net win to take the immediate gratification, because the delayed gratification may never come. So, rich kids grow up to be rich -- who woulda thunk it?

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/06/marshmallow-test/561779/

Ultimately, the new study finds limited support for the idea that being able to delay gratification leads to better outcomes. Instead, it suggests that the capacity to hold out for a second marshmallow is shaped in large part by a child’s social and economic background—and, in turn, that that background, not the ability to delay gratification, is what’s behind kids’ long-term success.

Blast from the past

I'd almost forgotten that John Greaney, aka intrcst "the father of ER", had this info on, "Is There a "Retire Early" Personality Type?" It was posted on May 2000 with survey data going back to when they had an early retirement forum on Motley Fool.

https://retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html

ISTJs were the majority there, too. Lots of INTJs, also.

Greaney did an Oct 2000 update, details here... https://retireearlyhomepage.com/linder1.html

omni

Last edited:
I always end up INTJ or ISTJ on these tests.

Edited to add: an interesting target would be (if you have one) how close or differently you match your spouse or significant other. The last time DW took a test she came up ENFP. It is a wonder we get along. :)

Last edited:
I'd almost forgotten that John Greaney, aka intrcst "the father of ER", had this info on, "Is There a "Retire Early" Personality Type?" It was posted on May 2000 with survey data going back to when they had an early retirement forum on Motley Fool.

https://retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html

INTJs were the majority there, too.

Greaney did an Oct 2000 update, details here... https://retireearlyhomepage.com/linder1.html

omni

Wow, we INs are so rare!

Planner - yep definitely! Most folks here are clearly planners.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom