Poll-My Daily Driver Has Manual / Automatic Transmission

Which Type Transmission In The Car You Most Frequently Drive?

• Manual (with clutch)

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • Automatic

Votes: 83 67.5%

• Total voters
I've driven a stick shift since I learned to drive on my parents' MG Magnette, in the late '50s. I have nothing against automatics, which I have driven when I had to rent a car, but my wife is completely inflexible, and (I just asked her) hates automatics. We will always have a stick shift, so long as it's possible to buy one.

Missing from the poll: Three on the column. Drove a Russky made Volga with three on the column. Had a van with that too. Do they still make 'em?..........

I had a SAAB with 4 on the column- now that was a weird car.

Good article. I would definitely be convinced, except these are very high end cars that I will never buy, thus any autoshifter on a car in my range is likely to be much less interesting. The other thing is that anyone who learns not to slip a clutch and who does not overload his car can go a long way on a clutch, and usually forever on the gears and transmission bearings themselves. I would guess that maintaining one of these new wonders will be no cheaper or more trouble free than maintaining the rest of an $80,000 to $150,000 car.

Likely if for some reason I can no longer shift, or I need another car and a manual is not available, I will be looking at a Taurus at best. :(

Ha

Both of my cars are automatics although my 3-series BMW has a sport shift option.
I would be as likely to purchase a manual transmission auto nowadays as I would be to get rid of my automatic washer and start scrubbing laundry on a washboard. Bumper to bumper traffic on the Parkway into Pittsburgh this afternoon is a reminder of why I have these preferences.

My daily driver in Japan is a hybrid Lexus HS with CVT. DW has a Honda Stream with an sport shift and paddles on the wheel. I've used the paddles a couple of times when playing with it, but she never has and never will. My truck in the states is Auto because it is better for towing, and DW's Odyssey is auto. My previous car also had sport shift and paddles, and I did use the sport shift when I needed a boost when passing or merging on the highway.

Our last manual was traded for an auto in 1998 because both DW and I needed to be able to use either car. She refuses to drive a stick shift. At some point, I'd really love to have a stick again, but it will probably never happen. We both want an RV, we need the truck to maintain the property (2 acres), we'll need a toad we can both drive...adding another vehicle to the mix to have a stick shift toy seems a bit of overkill in the vehicle department.

R

My truck and my DW's Highlander are automatics. I have a 2007 Pontiac Solstice that is a 5 speed that I don't drive much. It has 4875 miles but will add some next week as I plan to drive it to an Astronomy forum in Suffern, NY. Will be nearly 600 miles round trip!

We have 2 Camrys. A 2010 SE (mine) & a 2007 LE (hers). I've owned several cars and trucks with manual transmissions over the years, just don't happen to have one now. I'd be ok with a manual in the future. I taught my two oldest kids (girls) how to drive a manual, as well as my first wife back in the late '70s. No problemo.

Had several stick shifts. A beetle, Pickup truck.

Missing from the poll: Thee on the column. Drove a Russky made Volga with three on the column. Had a van with that too. Do they still make 'em?

Current wheels are auto. Now if I could find a 95-97 Jaguar XJR with manual, that would be the cat's meowww.

Three on the column brings back memories. In my high school days, most everything was "three on the tree" whereas later the norm became "four on the floor". My dad's first new car was a 1947 Chevrolet with "three on the tree" but it was a vacuum shift. Automatic transmissions came out in
late 40's as I recall.

I learned on a '56 Plymouth with "three on the tree" but after that pretty much everything was automatic.

Right now DW's Buick is of course automatic and my pickup is automatic. After dealing with DC's stop 'n go traffic for so long I'll probably never buy another stick.

The motorcycle is of course manual foot pedal transmission with a hand clutch. They're starting to offer motorcycles with automatic transmissions but there's just something "wrong" about an automatic on a motorcycle, just as with a Mustang GT.

Daily car, "carpooling" on errands and fun excursions with Mr B - reliable old 92 Honda Accord, 5 speed manual, 4 cyl, rust bucket extraordinaire.

Winter storm car and occasionally driven solo - 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, automatic

Midlife crisis good weather car - 2005 Mustang Premium convertible, 5 speed transmission, 6 cyl

2003 Chevy Impala (his car) - automatic, on sabbatical for the winter and now in the shop for a headlight switch module.

I prefer manual transmission. Mr B is now reconverted back from automatic to manual transmission.

My daily driver is a honda CRV but I sometimes drive my SO's Dodge Durango . I haven't driven a stick since 1987 .

My daily driver is a honda CRV but I sometimes drive my SO's Dodge Durango . I haven't driven a stick since 1987 .

My wife's daily driver is a CR-V with a stick shift. I drive an F150 with a stick. I learned to drive stick in 1996, and haven't bought an automatic since. I don't deal with much traffic, inclement weather is more of a concern. Love the feel of control a stick provides.

With that said: The toy is a '76 Monte Carlo, with a slightly modified 350. Those only came with an automatic. It was my first car in 1984.

Presently, 5 vehicles with a clutch. Number 6 was scheduled for delivery mid Apr but is presently delayed unitll about mid May. When I bought a new diesel pick up, only Dodge made the short list because the others couldn't/wouldn't provide a manual transmission. There are many desirable passenger vehicles that I would consider purchasing if not for the fact they are only available as automatics. Thankfully, you can buy a new Mustang GT (412 hp) with a manual transmission. :)

Back to the original question, I drove a stick until I bought this Camry new in 9/02. If I could, I'd buy a Camry with a stick in a heartbeat, but couldn't find it in Houston. :( I LOVE stick shifts totally.

I learned to drive on a "three-on-the-tree". Floor shifters are more sporty, but most of my driving is in city traffic, and it's too much work. Auto tranny for me.

I would be afraid that with that much power and the strong urge to use it would result in very costly citations and put my status as a LBYM person in grave jepoardy. OTOH it would probably also result in so much jail time that one would no longer need the expense of a house, food allowance, medical care, etc,etc. That would all be provided for free at the the expense of the taxpayers. Life is good. :D

Most frequently drive a Subaru w/automatic. DH has a pick-up w/manual which I drive regularly.

Back
Top Bottom