• Baby Boomers 46-64

Votes: 272 70.1%
  • Gen X 65-80

Votes: 105 27.1%
  • Millennials 81-96

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I predict that any 18 year old today who was given the opportunity to trade places with me at the age of 18 would choose to stay exactly where they are. My life is good now, but it was very hard along the way, particularly in those early years. I wish today's young people well and hope they achieve their dreams, but complaining about me won't really help in that endeavor.

The only older people (now dead) whose sacrifices are OK to acknowledge are members of the so-called greatest generation,since that was so long ago that they are nearly mythical to young people (whereas you and I are squarely in their faces as Old People).

As my Mom said, when she found out she was part of the "greatest generation," "We weren't that great. We just did what we had to do." And Dad, who was older than Mom, had many stories about dishonesty and goldbricking of people from that era. Ration card black marketing, for instance.

The reason people complain about their elders as a group is, as I said, because they can...and because it makes the complainers feel like martyrs. So, they won't ever admit that you and I could have had a difficult start in life. Oh well. I just try to get along with everyone....

I predict that any 18 year old today who was given the opportunity to trade places with me at the age of 18 would choose to stay exactly where they are. My life is good now, but it was very hard along the way, particularly in those early years. I wish today's young people well and hope they achieve their dreams, but complaining about me won't really help in that endeavor.

I never complained that my parents had it easier than me, because they most assuredly did not. As a young child, my mother (and the rest of the family) was bombed out of her flat three times during the Blitz, and my grandfather was killed during one of the raids, leaving my grandmother to raise three children working as a house cleaner. My paternal grandfather was so messed up by PTSD from fighting in the war that he left the family as soon as he returned (when my father was 6), and that grandmother raised three kids by herself working as a clerk in a dry goods store in Appalachia.

Last edited:
The only older people (now dead) whose sacrifices are OK to acknowledge are members of the so-called greatest generation,since that was so long ago that they are nearly mythical to young people (whereas you and I are squarely in their faces as Old People).

As my Mom said, when she found out she was part of the "greatest generation," "We weren't that great. We just did what we had to do." And Dad, who was older than Mom, had many stories about dishonesty and goldbricking of people from that era. Ration card black marketing, for instance.

The reason people complain about their elders as a group is, as I said, because they can...and because it makes the complainers feel like martyrs. So, they won't ever admit that you and I could have had a difficult start in life. Oh well. I just try to get along with everyone....

I never complained that my parents had it easier than me, because they most assuredly did not. As a young child, my mother (and the rest of the family) was bombed out of her flat three times during the Blitz, and my grandfather was killed during one of the raids, leaving my grandmother to raise three children working as a house cleaner. My paternal grandfather was so messed up by PTSD from fighting in the war that he left the family as soon as he returned (when my father was 6), and that grandmother raised three kids by herself working as a clerk in a dry goods store in Appalachia.

Regrettably, these are the family histories that are seldom told, and often not appreciated when they are.

My mother was born a WV hillbilly with an alcoholic father and grew up there, southern OH, and MI - all before she married the first time at 16. Dad (stepfather, the only father I knew) grew up in central IL, lost his birth mother as child and moved in with family friends not long after his father re-married.

Coming from that background, I am very fortunate to have had the middle-class childhood I did, and to have lived the life I have. My adult journey was much easier than my parents but has its own lessons for the young'uns. I hope I have been able to teach my kids well enough to make it easier for them. Time will tell.

All part of why I have little patience for those who claim their birthright was stolen by their predecessors.

I'm in the baby boomer gen. Also, disagree with with greatest gen years... I think it should be the late ~30's to late ~40's, but that's me.

I agree with OP on the Greatest Generation. They’re called that because they fought in 3 major conflicts. If you’re born in the 30s or 40s, you missed all the fun. Vietnam, maybe.

1956 Boomer here. I believe that was the largest year of the Boom. Too young for Vietnam, but they still had the lottery without the draft. My number kept me safe anyway. But I still ended up joining the Air Force and participating in events around Panama and Libya.

Gen X here with another sibling being a Gex X and 2 other siblings being Bomers, never really knew where I fit!

Another Boomer here. b. 1956

There is an interesting book, recently published, titled, "Generations", by Jean M. Twente. It defines the Boomer generation as 1946-1964. These were the first babies of the returning WWII GI's. The boom peaked in 1957. I guess 1964 because the birthrate started to level out to pre-boomer rates. I found the book to be pretty interesting and pretty accurate in describing each generation. Gen Z is quite different and a little frighting.

I'm happy to have missed the Vietnam War. I got a draft number that was published in the NYT but, of course, by that time they weren't calling anyone up. Every generation has its challenges and place in history. I'm not buying that Boomers made the world a worse place. We lived our lives day-to-day. We had our perception of the present at the time and our vision of the future. On the other hand I'm glad to not be 20 years old today.

I'm in the baby boomer gen. Also, disagree with with greatest gen years... I think it should be the late ~30's to late ~40's, but that's me.

When did returning soldiers start making a lot of babies? 1946-1965. Hence the baby making "Boomer" years. That can't be the 1930s. People were living miserably then to make babies during the Depression years at least in America and Europe.

Tweener. End of Baby Boom beginning of GenX...and my life and outlook does straddle the two generations....

REWahoo and Nords...I have finally pulled the plug....official retire date is 22Jun, my DEROS from Germany....I have a belt, suspenders, elastic waistband and stretch pants to cover me 😉. I'm pretty sure I won't be a bag lady eating cat food...

I've been testing out my travel budget the last few years...ughhh...I'm having a problem spending that much. I suspect when I get back Stateside, it may be met due to cross ocean air costs, but then I'm now finally eligible for Space A....options!

On topic now-mom and Dad the silent generation....their parents did WWII. Dad flew in Vietnam....I was born 6 mos after JFK assassination. I relate to the poster who said Carter, 55 mph, gas lines, inflation, Reagan, Grenada, Iran hostages, ets, were the more defining world events....from an American POV. Also, the comment regarding wholesale shift from DB pensions versus blended or self-funding for retirement is spot on. Those changes affected my financial behaviors heavily. Interestingly, I will have several pensions in the end, nevertheless, that was not initially part of the plan....hence my highly probable over-cautious financial situation as a soon-to-be retired.

Last edited:
When did returning soldiers start making a lot of babies? 1946-1965. Hence the baby making "Boomer" years. That can't be the 1930s. People were living miserably then to make babies during the Depression years at least in America and Europe.
My Dad was on an LST out of Seattle at the end of WW2 and on a carrier in the Korean conflict. Had 4 kids. I'm 3 of 4 and just turned 65. So the end of the boom.

The world was a different place after the end of WW2. The US had the only capable Navy, and used it to make shipping safe for every single country in the world. If you are a student of history, you'll know that's unprecedented. Not saying there weren't blunders, but the boomers presided over the most safe and prosperous time in history. And because demographics are a bit like a pyramid scheme, I'm telling any 18 year old to go back 75 years, if they are offered such a deal. Those were, and these are, the good old days.

Carly Simon could not have said it better.

When did returning soldiers start making a lot of babies? 1946-1965...

Troops were coming back in 1945. I never thought someone born 15-20 years later could be considered part of the "boom." Looking at some of the numbers posted here, though, perhaps I've been wrong.

Dang those guys were at it for a long time! No wonder they were called the Greatest!

I recently came across this list, which I found useful since I can never remember which is which, and thought it might be interesting to see what our mix is here.

I left the first and the last off the poll, since they are unlikely to be represented on the forum. Personally, I'm a Boomer, my parents were the Greatest, and my grandparents the Lost.

GenerationYears Born
The Lost Generation1883 - 1900
The Greatest Generation1901 - 1927
The Silent Generation1928 - 1945
Baby Boomers1946 - 1964
Gen X1965 - 1980
Millennials1981 - 1996
Gen Z1997 - 2012
Gen AlphaEarly 2010s - 2025

I made a mistake on the poll. I hit Gen X. We are baby boomers. Maybe dementia is setting in already! LOL!

Troops were coming back in 1945. I never thought someone born 15-20 years later could be considered part of the "boom." Looking at some of the numbers posted here, though, perhaps I've been wrong.

Dang those guys were at it for a long time! No wonder they were called the Greatest!

The baby boom stayed high for over ten years before heading back down.

Attachments

• boomers.jpg
    boomers.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom