Popcorn Ceiling: Lead Test?

glowing1

Confused about dryer sheets
Greetings:

First of all, thanks for all the excellent advice I have read on Early Retirement. Thanks to that advice, I was recently able to purchase a home.

The home I purchased was built in 1978, and has popcorn ceilings. I understand that it is likely that these popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, and am going to have them tested for asbestos. A contractor asked if I wanted to test the popcorn ceilings for lead. Is there any reason to test the popcorn ceilings for lead? We are going to have the popcorn ceilings removed.

Thanks for any advice!

Assuming you are going to use a qualified asbestos abatement firm to remove the ceilings, there is probably no reason for you to test for lead. The precautions for asbestos abatement are more than adequate for incidental lead paint, and the bulk waste (ceiling with popcorn and paint on it) won't be considered a hazardous waste due to lead - won't fail TCLP to be precise. It will be considered Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) waste, but the abatement firm will take care of that. Your abatement firm should be well aware of the potential issues.

Had my son's house redone a few years ago, it was built in late 80's, it never came up as I believe asbestos was outlawed in ceilings in homes in 1977. Just googled lead in ceilings and it was verboten in late 70's. I'd have it tested anyway since there's no way a contractor would violate such rules. :LOL::LOL:

With a late 70's home, you shouldn't worry about asbestos.

Sprayed ceilings of that vintage are more like sprayed sheet rock mud.

I agree, I had mine removed and researched before, no asbestos.

Lead paint was gone before asbestos was.

Back
Top Bottom