Question for Keurig users

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Full disclosure: DH and I do not drink coffee, so be gentle with me, please.

I ran across a Keurig at an estate sale, and bought it for our adult out-of-town kids' visits. I was told it needed to be de-scaled, so I got on line and found out how to do that. It's all cleaned up and ready for Thanksgiving.

It's a 2.0, series 200 and I realized when I was putting it away I could hear water sloshing internally. The external chamber is empty, but water goes down into the bowels of the thing to heat, and there's apparently no way to get it out without taking it apart. I can't even trick it into shooting that water out. :(

Do I need to do this, if it's not going to be used regularly? Could I just do a cleansing rinse/purge when I'm readying it for duty? Am I making too much of this? Having water sitting inside it for months doesn't seem particularly appealing or healthy.

I don't have the 2.0 but we have one in each home and it's sits there with a little bit of water in it for 6 months at a time. No I'll effects. We just push the on button and use it.

We do the same thing (don’t drink coffee but have a Keurig for the holidays. I don’t recall ever hearing water in it when stored. However, after storage, I make sure to run a few cycles through it and smell/taste the water to make sure it’s okay. I don’t think I have the same model. Can you get the manual on line? Also could call or email Keurig. There must be some way to empty it completely.

I think you're fine. The water we drink is the water that was here when the earth cooled. That chamber only has water, so nothing to worry about.

I hug my Keurig regularly. :smitten:

Have you tried turning it upside down in the sink?

[…] I could hear water sloshing internally. The external chamber is empty, but water goes down into the bowels of the thing to heat, and there's apparently no way to get it out without taking it apart. I can't even trick it into shooting that water out. :(

Do I need to do this, if it's not going to be used regularly? Could I just do a cleansing rinse/purge when I'm readying it for duty? Am I making too much of this? Having water sitting inside it for months doesn't seem particularly appealing or healthy.

EWWW!! :yuk: I have never used a Keurig, but I wouldn't like that either.

Now that I am in "Blow That Dough" mode I have thought of buying a Keurig. However, I am not sure if I want one. I keep hearing about various problems that people have with them.

I think you're fine. The water we drink is the water that was here when the earth cooled. That chamber only has water, so nothing to worry about.

You're talking about the water that had the primordial ooze when it cooled? No thanks.:D

But, fortunately, municipal tap water has residual free chlorine to stop that ooze from forming in your coffee maker. Unless, of course, you are on well water:facepalm:

Have you tried turning it upside down in the sink?

Yes. And dang, that water is hot when it comes out of there. :LOL:

I gently shook it until it stopped scalding me, and now it seems the chamber is empty.

Great minds think alike!

We drink coffee every day from our Keurig, so not an issue. But when we come back from traveling, I always run 2 or 3 cups with no coffee to flush out the old water that's been sitting in the heating chamber and internal plumbing. I don't think there is any way to empty that internal water for long-term storage. This is from the Keurig website:

With the exception of the Keurig® K15 and Keurig® MINI Plus brewers, once your Keurig® home brewer has been primed, you cannot empty the water from the inside... With all of our brewers, we recommend rinsing the removable Water Reservoir with fresh water and running three cleansing brews without a beverage pod after storing the brewer.

Yes. And dang, that water is hot when it comes out of there. :LOL:

I gently shook it until it stopped scalding me, and now it seems the chamber is empty.

Great minds think alike!

Maybe I should have told you to unplug it first and let it cool down?

Maybe I should have told you to unplug it first and let it cool down?

Actually, it had been unplugged for a while. That's some pretty serious heat retention there. No blisters, so no harm done. :)

... I have thought of buying a Keurig. However, I am not sure if I want one. I keep hearing about various problems that people have with them.

We have used them for years... over a decade and only had a problem only once.

It was actually about a year and a half after we got it... the unit scaled up... I called them and they ran me through a few things to do (plunging the drip mechanism with an unbent paper clip)... it didn't work and they offered to send me a new one. About an hour later I fiddled with it a bit more and it was working again. I forgot to call them back to let them know that I got it working :facepalm: and we received a new unit a few days later.

The one we have in Florida we bought at Goodwill... it makes some god-awful noises but works just fine.

We have found it important to descale it a couple tlmes a year.

Reactions: W2R
Now that I am in "Blow That Dough" mode I have thought of buying a Keurig. However, I am not sure if I want one. I keep hearing about various problems that people have with them.

I am not a coffee drinker, but DH is. I bought him one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I think it is his favorite among all of the gifts I've ever given him. Keurig has worked flawlessly. Note it can also be used for tea, hot chocolate and just to get a cup of warm water if needed.

Reactions: W2R
I sometimes use ours to make chicken bouillon.... a teaspoon of powdered chicken bouillon and run the machine for hot water.... nice for a sore throat.

We have used them for years... over a decade and only had a problem only once.

It was actually about a year and a half after we got it... the unit scaled up... I called them and they ran me through a few things to do (plunging the drip mechanism with an unbent paper clip)... it didn't work and they offered to send me a new one. About an hour later I fiddled with it a bit more and it was working again. I forgot to call them back to let them know that I got it working :facepalm: and we received a new unit a few days later.

The one we have in Florida we bought at Goodwill... it makes some god-awful noises but works just fine.

We have found it important to descale it a couple tlmes a year.

The needle on the top gets plugged with grounds on occasion. There is a little maintanence bulb that you fill with water to unclog it. A few up & downs with the handle pulls out a few grounds. I do it once or twice a year. Our last Keurig came with the bulb thingee. There are some on E Bay too

Back
Top Bottom