Read Articles or Watch Videos

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Links that pop up with video... do you watch?

Or click out and read the article?

This drives me bonkers. If the article is going to be worthwhile watching, I'll always check the gist of the article first. Result, I watch maybe 5% of the videos.

Am I alone?

Links that pop up with video... do you watch?

Or click out and read the article?

This drives me bonkers. If the article is going to be worthwhile watching, I'll always check the gist of the article first. Result, I watch maybe 5% of the videos.
I seldom watch those videos.

Am I alone?
I don't know.

Look around. Look to your left, then your right. Look in front of you, then behind you. What do you see?

;)

If I have a choice, I will always read the article. Takes 1/4 the time, no annoying music, etc. If there is only a video, I will almost always skip it, unless the subject is INCREDIBLY compelling.

I'll probably watch the videos ~20% of the time. Usually just read the articles...

If I have a choice, I will always read the article. Takes 1/4 the time, no annoying music, etc. If there is only a video, I will almost always skip it, unless the subject is INCREDIBLY compelling.

+ 0.75 fascinating is close enough for me, still well less than 50%

I prefer to read, it's so much faster than watching or listening.

IMHO all podcasts should be required to have a transcript before they're posted.

OP, That's an interesting question. I always read the article if it's available. BUT if it's directions how to do something, I watch the video. I also prefer podcasts with earbuds and audio books with earbuds so I can walk or clean and listen.

IF DH and me putting together a piece of furniture or following directions on a new appliance, we read aloud so we both agree on the next step.

Depends on who's involved with the content. If it includes someone I know and like, I watch. Otherwise I read.

I normally have the speakers turned off because those videos are so annoying. If I can't turn it off I go elsewhere.

Usually read. Better retention and faster for me.
For repairs, I'm a YouTube handyman/mechanic. Watching someone do a physical task works better than reading an explanation for me.

"Pre-roll" ads on videos are far more lucrative for media companies (and of more interest to advertisers), because they can be far more sure that the reader/watcher sees the advertisement compared to the static ones at the top of the page or in the margins that most of us don't really even notice anymore.

I almost never watch the videos, unless it's closed captioned or if I can get the gist without sound. My hearing is terrible, so listening to internet content generally requires taking out my hearing aids and putting on headphones. Which means it really better be interesting to me!

I only watch a video if its a demonstration video or entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom