Really cool travel trailer/tent

WM

Full time employment: Posting here.
Did anyone else see this in Friday's NY Times? It's a gear trailer / pop-up tent that looks super fun.

SylvanSport | IT

OMG, I love it! That is very cool, thanks for sharing! Here's a neat pic from their website.

Attachments

• Popup.jpg
    Popup.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 24
I saw it in this months Trailer Life. Lists for $7950, a bit pricy, but a neat design.

A friend did the poor man's version. He bought a light weight aluminum trailer and two of the plastic modules intend for a car roof. He packs everything in the modules for camping including a tent that pops up almost instantly when you shake it out of the pack. He sets up camp by lifting off the modules, one of which is all the kitchen stuff. The tent goes on the trailer so he is off the ground and can just swing out of the tent door and standup. Total cost, way under $1000 and the whole package only weights about 400 pounds. Plenty of extra room on the trailer while traveling for coolers, bikes or whatever else you want to take along.

Jeb

I saw it in this months Trailer Life. Lists for $7950, a bit pricy, but a neat design.

A friend did the poor man's version. He bought a light weight aluminum trailer and two of the plastic modules intend for a car roof. He packs everything in the modules for camping including a tent that pops up almost instantly when you shake it out of the pack. He sets up camp by lifting off the modules, one of which is all the kitchen stuff. The tent goes on the trailer so he is off the ground and can just swing out of the tent door and standup. Total cost, way under $1000 and the whole package only weights about 400 pounds. Plenty of extra room on the trailer while traveling for coolers, bikes or whatever else you want to take along.

Jeb

Was looking for a price on the website and not finding. Dang! Perfect for all you $5000 mountain bike riders i guess. For 8 grand i think my cheap-azz self will make do with a Motel-sex. or a sleeping bag. Pretty darn spiffy though...

Was looking for a price on the website and not finding. Dang! Perfect for all you $5000 mountain bike riders i guess. For 8 grand i think my cheap-azz self will make do with a Motel-sex. or a sleeping bag. Pretty darn spiffy though...

Yeah, they do seem ashamed of the price.

8 grand for a tent on wheels:confused: No thanks. At this rate spend 4 thou to freshen up my old Argosy 24' and still be money and space ahead.

I am sure for some it is well worth it.

Now you're talking Is99--I love the 24 Argosy trailer!
I have the 28 Argosy motorhome. What year? Pictures? :)
It is a 76, in essentially original (meaning well and properly used) inside, recently put on new brake assemblies, + usual maint. items grease bearings etc..

Never got around to photos, will get to it. Yep, it is the painted lady.

Cool, Is99, that is the same year as our coach--we have some bicentennial decorations that came with it as well!
Here's a shot from the music festival last month--there are several Argosy trailers we see there every year.

Attachments

• Argosy.jpg
    Argosy.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 12
How many miles on those bicentennials?

Sarah, from the outside anyway yours looks great.

Ours has 92,000 miles on her, and the interior actually looks pretty good--fairly new paisley fabric on the cushions (that do not go with the stars and stripes decorations at all) and nice carpet/vinyl flooring, although we are probably putting down wood laminate eventually. The paint job is one of those 50/50 jobbbies (looks good at 50 mph and 50 feet), but I doubt we'd ever bother to get it professionally repainted.

Here's a shot from the music festival last month--there are several Argosy trailers we see there every year.

Like that! If I had more space and less input from DW i'd have one of those too. I'm also in favor of 50/50 paint jobs. It is more personalized
grin.gif

Input, indeed Is99--your DW and my DH sound too much alike! He has to keep her running so I guess he has room to complain, in addition to room to park her!

Do you have the mysterious recessed compartment by the door that looks like it was supposed to hold barware or something, but anything put there would fall out? It is the only mystery left in my coach (well except for will she crank). There is a cool hidden TP compartment in the bathroom, too.

No Sarah, the trailer does not have the magic compartment by the door, though it does have a useless magazine rack, kinda bolt on thingy. It is bolted to fridge's decorative wall. The "secret" compartment in the bath is well, kept empty.

Did anyone else see this in Friday's NY Times? It's a gear trailer / pop-up tent that looks super fun.

SylvanSport | IT

We saw one at Canoecopia (huge paddling oriented consumer show held by Rutabaga in Madison, Wis each spring) and thought it was pretty slick. Kind of pricey, but very well thought out.

Put two kayaks on top and pull it with a compact car. $4 gas would be no issue!

Popups have their place. But if you have the tow vehicle for about 3500 lbs, the TrailManor is really great. We have the 3124KS.

I have spoken with a number of popup owners and they generally envy something else until they can afford to upgrade. Best thought of as a fantastic tent.

Yeah, we camp every year with friends who have a popup. They envy us leaving the campground on Sunday mid-day, just unplugging the water, electricity, and putting away the barware while they tear down.

When I was in college we would sometimes rent pop-ups to go to music festivals. Compared to the people who were just passed out under trees we thought we were doing pretty well. :)

My buddy had a 1950 primer-grey Hudson Hornet that we pulled it with.

Ha

Wow! Nice $8000 tent. ;)

SarahSC a while back you asked about photo of my Argosy.Just got back from camping at a favorite reservoir/campground.
It rained on departure day, but got a snap of the trailer. So this is the painted lady.

Got in some good kayaking as well.
Argosy_CUEcamp.JPG

Attachments

• Argosy_CUEcamp.JPG
    Argosy_CUEcamp.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom