recommend me a portable jump starter?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I want something to jump start the car that is idiot proof (warns you if connected wrong), has a flashlight, AND most significantly can be stored at high temperatures as I live in the desert and it is 115 outside never mind what it would be in the car . . .

I want something to jump start the car that is idiot proof (warns you if connected wrong), has a flashlight, AND most significantly can be stored at high temperatres as I live in thue desert and it is 115 outside never mind what it would be in the car . . .

I have had a NOCO BOOST GB40 (and a case) for a year or two. Takes up less room then a good set of jumper cables. Works great.

Looks like they are on sale at Amazon. Can't speak to the "super high" temperatures. Summers where I am at are in the 90's. I check it twice a year and top of the charge.

+1 on the NOCO GB40 from Amazon. Good discount currently. Instructions say to not store in such high temps. IMHO if it’s to be useful, it needs to stay in the car. We’ll see how it goes in the FL heat.

I have this one and leave it in the SUV all of the time. I bought this model after having a dead battery while in FL last year and using emergency roadside service (through Geico) -- the contractor that came to start my vehicle pulled out one of these units. Although I had previously tried jumper cables without success, the jump starter did the trick.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K42Z1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks pretty cool. Found myself looking at youtube videos of people using that to jump cars.

I still have an old fashioned lead acid type jumper box that I have to top off charge every couple of months to keep the battery going. Been about 10 years but battery still is good. When time to replace, may have to spring for one of these more portable ones.

As for the store in heat concern of the OP. I'd think if stored in a trunk took box in a case like the one or wrapped in towels would offer enough heat protection. Just my guess.

To minimize the risk of needing to jump start one of my cars, I just change out my older batteries with a new one every 3 years, or sooner if I start noticing slower starting power. I do carry jumper cables too but mostly in-case I need to help someone else get their cars started. I can't ever remember needing to jump start "my" car while on the road by doing this... It could happen but far less likely. But that works for me!

Realize also, that a a battery jump pack or even regular jumper cables are not a guarantee you can get your car started. They won't be of much help in many failed battery conditions. Examples: Shorted battery, bad, loose or severely corroded connections, etc, not to mention other ignition problems.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a battery pack or even jumper cables that are idiot proof, :) although they seem pretty simple to me, "admittedly as a car-guy":). So If you are going to use any of them, learn how to before you need it. (Same as folks should with changing a flat tire, or any other basic emergency repairs.) If you are not comfortable with this, then maybe getting help is a better option.

But with that said, a battery pack is okay and could be useful, especially if it makes you feel better. Just somethings to think about.

Last edited:
I have 2 older models of this brand: https://www.amazon.com/SUAOKI-Portable-Flashlight-Gasoline-Certified/dp/B07R5FKPZJ

I bought the first 3 years ago. I have used them 4 times, twice for our cars and twice to help others. They are asy to use and have worked great every time. Even DW was able to use them , and she can be technically challenged.:)

I do not know about temperature endurance, but I keep these stored in our vehicles. The mid-atlantic area can get hot and humid in the summer. I recently pulled them out for their quarterly check and charge, they were fine.

Since purchasing and using these I am not going back to jumper cables. I do carry around a set of jumpers just in case and out of habit, but these compact models have worked fine for me.

I'm not wedded to this brand, but this type of jumper is worth getting. Every so often one pops on sale on Amazon. I purchased both of mine during 25-50% off sales.

I have the NOCO GB40 in all of my cars. It came to rescue us at least once.

My first thought was like Car-Guy just change the battery frequently.

After seeing how small these new battery pack jumper devices are, it would be a good option, and the OP could easily bring it into the house with the car keys each time. So it would not get baked by the high heat. It's so small it could be put in the glove box or console when in the car.

My first thought was like Car-Guy just change the battery frequently.

After seeing how small these new battery pack jumper devices are, it would be a good option, and the OP could easily bring it into the house with the car keys each time. So it would not get baked by the high heat. It's so small it could be put in the glove box or console when in the car.

But changing battery often wouldn't prevent the situation where someone unintentionally leaves lights on if they don't have the newer smarter vehicles that try to think for you and auto shut off lights.

I prefer any of the lithium powered jump boxes because they're so small and easily stowed in any car.

I also like to take them with me when I'm out on the boat.

A service company sent out a tow truck to jump start a newer car. I was convinced it wasn't the battery.

The guy pulled out a lunch-box sized device. It had a lithium battery and other features, but I don't have the specs or model.

What struck me was his story about finding the box on the side of the road somewhere. Of course we still don't have one...but this thread reminds me of how useful that would be. Just need to remember where it is "safely" stored.

I change my car batteries approximately every 2 years and have them checked at oil changes. . . I still get stranded sometimes. They just do not seem to like the AZ heat. Has happened with 3 different cars. . . Kind of sounds like most of them would work since I can't really tell the "storage" temp without seeing the instructions. I just have this vision of my car being 200 degrees and it catching fire or something. I guess I could take it out in the very worst of summer. Knowing myself I would not be likely to take it in and out each trip. Did I mention I was lazy?

Last edited:
Just buy an auto membership, when your need a jump, just phone for one, and you can replace your car battery after the jump.
Could work out cheaper if the battery ends up lasting 4 years before needing a jump.

Plus you will be covered if you forget to fill the gas tank and it goes to empty, or you get a flat tire.

Just buy an auto membership, when your need a jump, just phone for one, and you can replace your car battery after the jump.
Could work out cheaper if the battery ends up lasting 4 years before needing a jump.

Plus you will be covered if you forget to fill the gas tank and it goes to empty, or you get a flat tire.

+1

For around $3.50/month, I have the "roadside assistance" add-on from Progressive that offers battery jump-starts, flat tire assistance, fuel delivery, winching, and towing. And this covers both my cars. Seems like a good deal (compared to a AAA membership), and it's really all I need to give me peace of mind. I still carry good, sturdy jumper cables and an air pump on long trips, but mostly because I already own them and figure they might come in handy for very minor, quick DIY stuff.

Last edited:
On the hottest day of the year when you break down, it may take a few hours for your roadside assistance to show up. If you're at home and comfortable, the time you wait probably matters very little.

On the hottest day of the year when you break down, it may take a few hours for your roadside assistance to show up. If you're at home and comfortable, the time you wait probably matters very little.

I wonder if that is true.

Up North, on super cold days it is true because batteries that are weak simply don't work in super cold days, so a lot of folks find out on the first cold snap, or when they drive from warm garage and park all day in the freezing cold to find the battery is dead at the end of the day.

Do hot days work the same, a sudden jump in temp from 90 to 110 does it also cause weak batteries to fail that day ?
Certainly there might be a few more cars overheating, but surely they overheat in 90 degree days too.

Yeah sitting around outside at 115 is not ideal. . :) thanks all.

.....Do hot days work the same, a sudden jump in temp from 90 to 110 does it also cause weak batteries to fail that day ?
Certainly there might be a few more cars overheating, but surely they overheat in 90 degree days too.
I've seen it. On a very hot day the battery suddenly fails catastrophically - so much so that it cannot be jumped even by AAA.

I almost missed your joke because I didn’t bother to click your link. I was positive you’d be suggesting one like this....

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-power-pack-with-jump-starter-and-compressor-62374.html

It seems like the economic case for proactive replacements has shifted.
I’ve had to help a few family members replace batteries lately. It seems like the cost has shot up. Some cars need hi tech batteries to support auto start-stop and I think some use a 2nd battery. Likewise they are more difficult to install.

This doesn't work out so well if you like to camp in remote areas. That's our issue. We have a roadside assistance plan which covers both the truck and the camper, but who wants to wait several hours while they get to your remote, Big Horn Mountains, Forest Service campsite? So I have a good supply of spare parts, a lithium jump-start unit, tire pump, some test equipment and basic tools whenever we head out to a remote area. Admittedly, in our 11 years of doing this, the need has been very rare and usually for someone else's vehicle.

When we head to Fla for the winter pulling the camper, I'm much less prepared. We're never more than a few miles from help and I wouldn't even bother changing a tire myself rather preferring your strategy.

Last edited:

Yeah sitting around outside at 115 is not ideal. . :) thanks all.

True, but what about changing a flat tire yourself in 115° heat? IMHO, paying a few bucks a month for roadside assistance that covers many common issues is preferable to having to acquire all the tools, knowledge, and experience to handle all those things on my own. I'd rather wait 30-45 minutes for a trained professional to drive out to me, remove my flat tire, and put the spare on instead of doing it myself in gods knows what kind of weather/road/traffic conditions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom