Red Wine

Up until last year, the most expensive wine we drink were in $20 range. Recently, we had chance to drink $30 - $70 wines from one winery. Other than a few, they weren't whole lot different than $15 wine from Costco. As one of the posters noted, there seems to be a diminishing return at around $20. The best wine we enjoy from the same winery is one of their cheapest at $12.

+1.
We live 2 hours from Walla Walla. We are seeing this area starting a Napazation. Definitely not a word but the combination of Wash State U having a legit Viticulture program as well as being one of the top 10 in the world hospitality schools is driving some great things in this wine country.
Wash is unique in having over 90% of its production in premium quality varieties.
Totally agree that quality/value relationship beats Cal premiums.
Nwsteve
They have a huge price advantage in that land prices are so much cheaper in WA than CA. We appreciate the resulting value!

The failry stable weather, using mainly irrigation, etc., also makes it much easier for them to maintain consistency.

I know virtually nothing about red wine; every study I have seen has found that experts, who have lots of interest and experience in tasting wine, are unable to distinguish red wines from each other and even cannot distinguish white from red wines.

I would like to learn about red wine if there is something to learn, but it seems that there isn't. The question is, is liking red wine an acquired taste and should I look into learning about it? How do I go about tasting wines, should I buy a red wine at random and drink a little each day and do this for a few months?
Why do you want to learn? I'm a nondrinker and always have people shoving glasses of wine at me "that I'll enjoy". Sorry, they taste like vinegar to me but I'm always a blogged to take a few sips. I can get down a glass of sangria......don't think that really counts as wine, more like fruit juice.

As far as wine tasting, around here, we have quite a few wineries and they have wines to taste before you buy. There are also wine tours held at different times of the year that have wine tastings.

As an amateur wine drinker, I like the various red blends made by the wineries. Each one is different, but they do not have some of the extremes of the specific varieties. Good for beginners. As a plus, most of them are under $12

The way I would describe 'learning' about wine is that with more exposure your palate can begin to discern the many nuances that make wine so wonderfully enjoyable. I am far from being an expert, but I can now identify quite a few things when wine tasting that make the experience much funner than when I first started and had only box wine in my repertoire.

And as has been suggested, it's not about cost. It's about finding what you enjoy, which for most of us come in a variety of price points.

Wine is personal, and you like what you like, period. With exposure however, you'll find that what you like will begin to expand, and that's what makes it so much fun for so many of us.

As an amateur wine drinker, I like the various red blends made by the wineries.

Likewise! My current fave is Red Velvet blend from Cupcake Vineyards (Livermore CA). Very tasty, and I can usually find it for under $10/bottle. Works for meee. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom