• I like polls but don’t eat pizza

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Another type of pizza

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • I like many different styles

Votes: 43 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Several times in the 1980s I visited some relatives in San Diego while on vacation. They took me to a pizza place called Chicago Brothers which made deep dish pizza. I hadn't had that type of pizza before, being from New York.

On one of those trips, I stopped in Chicago for a weekend to visit another cousin. He took me to a pizza place, too. So, on that year's trip, I had Chicago-style pizza in 2 cities, giving me a good basis for comparison. I liked San Diego's Chicago-style pizza better, at least from that pizza place.

But I still like my NYC-LI pizza more.

On one of those trips, I stopped in Chicago for a weekend to visit another cousin. He took me to a pizza place, too. So, on that year's trip, I had Chicago-style pizza in 2 cities, giving me a good basis for comparison. I liked San Diego's Chicago-style pizza better, at least from that pizza place.
Even in Chicago deep dish isn't all the same, Uno/Due v Gino's v Giordano's v Lou Malnati and many others these days...

I lean more toward NY style than Chicago (not a deep dish fan). But I chose "other". My favorite came from an Italian restaurant where most of the pizza crust is thin-ish, but the outer crust ring, which is a bit over 1" high, has a french bread consistency.

Even in Chicago deep dish isn't all the same, Uno/Due v Gino's v Giordano's v Lou Malnati and many others these days...

This is very true. Lou Malnati's makes me wake up with night sweats, even though I like it. My favorite was a North Side local place.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Giordanos. Uno franchised and everything went to hell, which is too bad. It did give me comfort when I lived in S. Florida and one of the first franchises opened. Good at first, then the corporate machine did something to it all.

I've eaten pizza at all the big name Chicago places, and many of the small mom and pop places. And the Monical's, Garcias, and other Illinois places mentioned here. We haven't been in the city for pizza in at least 10-15 years.

Luckily some good Chicago pizza can be found outside of the city. My recent favorite is Lou Malnati's, but DW is on a diet so pizza is off limits at least until the first of the year. But after reading this thread, I'm going to need some pizza soon.

Back
Top Bottom