Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Another type of pizza

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • I like many different styles

Votes: 43 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
A recent post on chain vs specialty and “best tasting” pizza motivated this poll. Wikipedia has a list of pizza styles in the US and I chose some for this poll. So, which style of pizza do you prefer?

Tavern style is thin & crispy, lots of cheese, cut into small pieces.

California style is lots of non-traditional ingredients

Chicago deep dish is thick moist crust with sauce on the top

Colorado style is thick braided whole wheat crust

Detroit style is a thick rectangular crust topped with brick cheese

New Haven style is thin & chewy, coal fired, with romano instead of mozzarella

NY style is a thin foldable crust

Gluten free

Chain pizza

Pizza from another country

Additional info on pizza styles can be found on the Wikipedia pizza page here Any disagreement or opinions about the descriptions should be taken up with Wikipedia.

Last edited:
All of the above! But I picked NY style for the survey.

I recently had some great pizza during my September Switzerland trip. Very tasty. However, at one restaurant, I ordered a Margherita pizza with Peperoni on it only to find out that this was German for peppers. I did not like that. But, I picked them off and still enjoyed the pizza. I'm a very picky eater and I've had a long life of picking things out of my food without worrying about it. That pizza was a thin crust with minimal sauce. Somewhat NY in style, I guess.

For poll purposes I chose New York. In reality, I mostly eat chain pizza (Domino's, Papa John's, etc.) or frozen.

Great Poll, although I don't think some of these choices really warrant being included in the choices (Chain Pizza and Colorado Style??) and Pizza from another country should have a qualifier as ITALY would be the most common choice. Even within Italy there are many styles by city and region.
Being from New Jersey, NY Style is the most common here and there are soooo many great pizza places that I frequent in NJ and NY. If I had to pick a favorite, mine would be Denino's Pizzeria in Staten Island, NY. They have since expanded to have locations in New Jersey and Manhattan. I love New Haven Style as well, but very sparse pickings in the NYC/ NJ area of that style.

All of the above! ....

+1, Well, probably not gluten free (so no matching poll choice for "all of the above, except...". They probably all have their place. Sometimes I like vanilla ice cream, other times chocolate. No reason to limit myself.

I checked, you can't do multiples.

-ERD50

I can't vote without multiple options. Good tavern/Chicago Thin crust, Deep Dish, and NY are probably my favorites (at home I mostly make Cracker Crust tavern style and deep dish) but can't really go wrong with any of them if it's a good example. Don't think I've had New Haven but sounds like I'd like it.

Since I grew up in NYC, that's the obvious choice for me.

Maybe coincidence, but I've generally found the NY style to be the default in all the other countries I've tried it in.

In keeping with the common poll theme of this forum, I didn't vote since I like all of the above. :) Or at least, I've never found a pizza I didn't like.

And of course, if you add a "all of the above category" then I'd say "other". :) If you added "both", I may be backed into a corner and forced to vote. :LOL:

Last edited:
Totino's party pizza baby! $0.99

I chose New York. I have many fond memories as a teenager, going around with friends on various city adventures, eating a large, thin, foldable, oily pizza slice with soda for $1 or less :).

Some native New York City folks will quibble that there is a difference between "New York Style" and "Brooklyn Style" pizza.

Which one is traditional brick oven pizza like from my local joint? I don't consider that a thick or thin crust. Domino's for example, calls the crust style "hand tossed" as opposed to "brooklyn" and "crunchy" for thin and "pan" for thick.

I would prefer regular crust, not thick or thin. Just the traditional ceiling tossed pizza. Some chain restaurants would qualify.

I added 2 more options to satisfy some members desire to vote.

I like many different styles of pizza.
But lately I've been searching out what we call South Shore Bar Pizza (south of Boston) which seems to fit the tavern pizza category. I monitor the Facebook group on this topic.

I'm also a fan of Neapolitan pizza even though I've not been to Naples quite yet...

NY pizza, being I am from Long Island and lived or worked in NYC for the better part of 20 years. I have had Chicago style pizza nd found it good, too. Chain pizza, like Pizza Hut, not as much.

NJ pizza for sure. I'm not really into the specialty game.

We've always had 3-4 joints nearby. I like the feeling of walking in, maybe seeing a neighbor, and so on.

NY pizza is the best in our family, but difficult to find a good version down here. We do also like some specialty pizzas.

Whole wheat crust, no cheese, no meats, red sauce and lots of veggies and hot sauce added.

I like many different styles: they all have their plusses and minuses. In my case, my favorite pizza style has changed over the years. As you might expect, we had some great pizza in Italy last May including a nice Neapolitan pizza in, where else, Naples. Had a good pizza in London too. I've even enjoyed the Little Caesar's Detroit style enough that I really want an authentic one next time I visit Detroit.

I picked NY for the poll but it's limited to one choice (what was he thinking?). Oh well, the favorite for me is from King's New York Pizza, a local chain with three stores. They also make a gluten-free pizza, which is the one I have to buy. And that only when I want to gain a few pounds, which is almost never, but it's aided by adding extra cheese and extra pepperoni to the meat lover's pizza. A pizza isn't a pizza without pepperoni on it.

This poll is so hard to choose just one type of pizza. I’m a lover of all Pizza, however if there can only be one then it must be the mighty Tavern.

Back
Top Bottom