Reducing number of autos

If you can just keep them from rusting, the rest can be fixed rather easily (well straight forward anyway).

I sold my 2013 Camry about a month ago when I found out how much I could get for it.
It was my second vehicle and only got driven every few months and was going to need about $5,000 worth of work done eventually based on the service report from last July.
It was my commuter vehicle for the first 4 years I had it and got great gas mileage.
I will get a new Camry if I decide a second vehicle is necessary.

And why not?:LOL: One of my direct reports had her Toyota mini-truck reach half a million miles. She used it on her horse farm and to run back and forth to town. Looked like cwap but everything worked. Not sure how old it was but I'm betting it was approaching 40 years. YMMV

When I was jaunting around oilfields, many of the field personnel (well tenders, maintenance folks, supervision, etc) drove Toyota Tundras. I have been in many that had 300,000 on the clock and were still on the same engine and transmission. Maintenance was done, of course, as timing belts and fluid changes were on the schedule. Actually, I had never seen a new one in the field! :D

This was also in very rough terrain. Sometimes, Ford F250/350 models were used, and very infrequently I'd see GM stuff.

Last edited:
I will get a new Camry if I decide a second vehicle is necessary.

Be sure to test drive one before you consider a purchase since they did a redesign in 2018 and lowered the stance. Still a great car but the new ones are so low to the ground they are difficult to exit gracefully.

(DD#1 has a 2020 she calls her "Camborghini ".)

Last edited:
Be sure to test drive one before you consider a purchase since they did a redesign in 2018 and lowered the stance. Still a great car but the new ones are so low to the ground they are difficult to exit gracefully.

(DD#1 has a 2020 she calls her "Camborghini ".)

That is good to know. That’s one of the reasons I like my RAV- it’s just higher enough to make it easier for me to get into and out of.
I don’t like really low cars.

...........was going to need about $5,000 worth of work done eventually based on the service report from last July.
Those "service reports" from dealers are more like the service manager's wish list for big commissions. I've never have anything done without a second opinion from an independent mechanic.

Those "service reports" from dealers are more like the service manager's wish list for big commissions. I've never have anything done without a second opinion from an independent mechanic.

Yeah, I got one for the old CRV and it was gonna be $3 grand +. First thing listed - they wanted to fix the seal around the oil-pan gasket. Give me a break! I never had to add even a quart of oil between changes and there were rarely more than a drop or two of oil on the garage floor after a couple of weeks since cleaning. YES, it was leaking - Heck, I could smell the oil after a drive. But I wasn't gonna spend (whatever - a bundle) to jack up the engine or drop the suspension to fix an oil leak on a car with 170K. Rubbish!

Reading through this thread is very depressing to me (for the most part) since cars are such a big part of my life. While I have significantly downsized the number of vehicles I've had from just a few years ago, I'm not sure if I'll ever get down to just one, and if that does happen, it will not be some cheap and/or under powered, %&^.:facepalm: Almost unthinkable to me.

I think I'll go log-on to one of my car forums and get refocused.

Last edited:
I'm down to six vehicles now. Five years ago I had eleven. It would be very boring for me to go to only one and drive the same vehicle every day, but cars are a hobby for me, not just merely transportation.

Reading through this thread is very depressing to me (for the most part) since cars are such a big part of my life. While I have significantly downsized the number of vehicles I've had from just a few years ago, I'm not sure if I'll ever get down to just one, and if that does happen, it will not be some cheap and/or under powered, %&^.:facepalm: Almost unthinkable to me.

I think I'll go log-on to one of my car forums and get refocused.

Shorter Car-Guy: "When I have only one vehicle, it will be a hearse." :D

Great responses from everyone... and like everything else in life the answer depends on your personal situation I'm hearing. Where you live, what you do for recreation, how much space you have, personal style, etc.

For the record, we currently have 3 in the stable these days... '10 Honda CR-V, '15 BMW X4 and '65 Mustang (Dad bought it brand new in October of 1964 so it's kinda tough for me to part with - even if I only put a couple of hundred miles on it a year).

Since DW and I do 90% of everything together - and rarely have we needed two cars at the same time, I think we'll do just fine experimenting with one. Thinking of selling the Bimmer since it's way out of warranty and getting up there in miles. In fact - we're thinking of selling both the Honda *and* the BMW to get a newer (used) something. DW loves the BMWs for highway comfort/noise reduction, etc. but I hate the maintenance costs and would just prefer a newer CR-V or equivalent these days.

We'll see what happens soon.

Shorter Car-Guy: "When I have only one vehicle, it will be a hearse." :D
:LOL:

I may asked to buried in one of mine with the speedometer needle stuck on 200 mph of course. That will get me down to one. Now, which one :confused:?

Last edited:
:LOL:

I may asked to buried in one of mine with the speedometer needle stuck on 200 mph of course. That will get me down to one. Now, which one :confused:?

Just be sure you're not buried in such a fashion because they couldn't extract you from the car! 200mph into an interstate bridge upright could be a Zen experience - making you "one with the car." :LOL:

Just be sure you're not buried in such a fashion because they couldn't extract you from the car! 200mph into an interstate bridge upright could be a Zen experience - making you "one with the car." :LOL:
Not exactly what I was thinking but I guess that way it would fit in the grave plot a lot easier. :)

Back
Top Bottom