Refrigerator Water Filter

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today I replaced the water filter on a Kenmore refrigerator. While attempting to shake some of the remaining water in the old filter out, I noticed a lot of fine "sandy" deposits coming out of the filter w/ the water. I have previously changed the filter 2 times and done the same thing but never noticed the deposits. The past filters were Kenmore brand. The one removed today was LG brand from Amazon. Are the deposits normal? from incoming water or from the water filter? The water pipes in the house were not touched during the reign of the filter that was removed but there was some remodeling before that while the Kenmore brand was being used .

How hard is your water?
My first thought would be harmless, normal mineral deposits that were trapped by the filter.

On a not totally unrelated topic, after almost a year, I finally figured out yesterday how to reset the water filter warning light on my Samsung refrigerator. It lights up to tell you when to replace the filter, but after you've replaced the filter, the warning light just stays on. There's an alarm button behind a touch panel that controls whether you get a warning beep when the door is open more than 30 seconds or so, and you have to hold that button down for 3 seconds to reset the water filter warning. Not very intuitive. I should have read the manual, but I think it could have been designed better.

On a not totally unrelated topic, after almost a year, I finally figured out yesterday how to reset the water filter warning light on my Samsung refrigerator. It lights up to tell you when to replace the filter, but after you've replaced the filter, the warning light just stays on. There's an alarm button behind a touch panel that controls whether you get a warning beep when the door is open more than 30 seconds or so, and you have to hold that button down for 3 seconds to reset the water filter warning. Not very intuitive. I should have read the manual, but I think it could have been designed better.

When I found out the price of the filter on the Samsung fridge, I just bypassed the warning and reset the light. I doubt our water needs filtering. Ours is the French door model.

If the sandy bits that shook out of the used filter were beige/tan/brown, then it is most likely built-up calcium that let go off the walls of pipes in the water system. Very common.

If the bits are all black, then it could be activated charcoal/carbon from inside the filter, if the filter has an organic absorber in it. If the filter info says it removes chlorine, for example, then it has activated charcoal in it.

Activated carbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Around here, all of our water is surface water from reservoirs. When the water temp gets up there in summer and fall, a lot of chlorine gets added. You can turn on a faucet and smell it. Using a water filter that absorbs chlorine and other organics is a good idea here. The addition of large amounts of chlorine creates trihalomethanes as a trace by-product, of which most are carcinogenic. Leaving water sit out unrefrigerated in an open wide-mouthed container for at least a day seems to let the evil organics evaporate out.
In summer we also have the algae blooms and water turn-over that adds the wonderful "ewww, stale pond water!" smell to the water. Both methods above seem to get rid of it.
We need to add the wonderful surface water to REW's Texas list.
When you drink from a reservoir, and your treated sewage goes down into streams that feed into the top end of the next reservoir down stream, and on and on, you don't want to think too much about where your water came from... or what/who it's been through! I know I know, TMI!

If you are ever in New Orleans, stand on the Moonwalk there and watch the river flow... and think about where all that water has been :sick:

When I found out the price of the filter on the Samsung fridge, I just bypassed the warning and reset the light. I doubt our water needs filtering. Ours is the French door model.

I noticed that the flow of water slowed the older the filter got. I took the filter out and just get regular tap water through the fridge. I'm good with that. And saves ~$25 every 6 months.

The water filters for my Kenmore cost $40 each from Sears, and they recommend changing it every six months.
I buy the exact same filters from an online dealer for $26 each, and I change it once a year.

I noticed that the flow of water slowed the older the filter got. I took the filter out and just get regular tap water through the fridge. I'm good with that. And saves ~$25 every 6 months.

Not looked at mine that close but I don't think I can just eliminate it. Mine is inside the refrigerator and I believe it screws in. I'm guessing and too lazy to read the manual.

Thanks all for the replies. Our water is hard.....been some time since I did pH measurements (for the fish) and the fine deposits are lt. brown/yellowish so kind of sounds like the mineral deposits mentioned by braumeister/Telly.
The surprising thing to me is that previously there were no such deposits (at least that's what my aging memory tells me) and there was no disturbance of the pipes while this filter was in place..........or perhaps I shook the filter out
somewhere else. I only noticed the deposits after I had shaken the filter out in the sink and the water ran off leaving the fine particles in the sink...............I did not see the particles while the water was falling.

I can't leave the filter out since it's in the refrigerator......wonder what would happen tho if I could and all those particles passed thru.........would they mess up the icemaker?

I too have gone from 6mo to 12mo changes because of the $40+ cost.

Back
Top Bottom