Reliance on Cell Phones

I would like to know which app rendered your iPod obsolete.
I don't know about iPods but iPhones become obsolete for sure. I had to replace my iPhone 3 years ago because it could no longer support the latest OS and could no longer run many of the apps I used on a daily basis. App designers will build in some backwards compatibility but only for so long. At some point, they stop supporting older systems. If I wanted to continue to use my phone for the things I depended on it for, I had to upgrade to a new one.

I don't know about iPods but iPhones become obsolete for sure. I had to replace my iPhone 3 years ago because it could no longer support the latest OS and could no longer run many of the apps I used on a daily basis. App designers will build in some backwards compatibility but only for so long. At some point, they stop supporting older systems. If I wanted to continue to use my phone for the things I depended on it for, I had to upgrade to a new one.

Planned obsolescence is part of the deal with companies that make these devices. Plus, some of the new improvements are too aggressive or resource demanding to run on older equipment.

My DW is still hanging on to her iPhone 6S but she doesn't do much with it besides talk and text. I have a newer Andriod Motorola and it does a lot, but not 5G, which I don't care about.

DW's iPad Air 2 (2nd gen) is going south (screen dying) and I'm sure after all these years, I'l have to replace it.

Both my hips wore out after decades of long distance running and I had to get both of them replaced too! :D

Yes, you can turn on an AM radio from the 50's and after the vacuum tubes have warmed up you can hear staticky mono music from one 4 inch diameter speaker with tons of commercials, whereas with a cell phone you have access to tens of thousands of songs on demand, podcasts, news shows, etc. Or you can watch videos and the sound can be sent wirelessly to your ears in stereo. You can also use voice commands to pull up almost any song or video you can name.

Actually, HiFi came of age in the 50s, using vacuum tubes. Nothing wrong with Vacuum tube technology in terms of the sound potential. Lots of other issues (energy usage, reliability, costs, weight, size, need for technicians, etc.) AM was/is mostly cwap. But if the sound source was there, 1950s technology was capable of very good sound reproduction. By the way, for 60 years, the go-to rock and roll organ is the Hammond M3 - an all tube system. YMMV

Amen to that. I never complained about the technology, only that it seemed sloppily or maliciously applied such that the useful life of a device was minimized. I can turn on a radio from the 1950s and it still works as intended yet my iPod is in the trash because it couldn't be updated sufficiently to run a a simple app.

Just watched The Dropout, the Hulu show about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.

Show starts when she's a teen in TX so she's shown in the early 2000s using one of those large iPods with the scroll wheel.

iPods exploded with the iPod Nano, which used flash memory.

I used the hell out of mine and after they stopped making them, I looked for a replacement and on Amazon, some sellers had brand new ones for like double the price they originally went for.

Eventually I shifted listening to iPhone, more because I started listening more to podcasts than music on a regular basis.

I didn't always download podcasts directly to the iPhone either, I would sync it with my iTunes on my Mac but eventually stopped syncing and downloaded directly.

I never stood in line for any of those products. The show depicts Elizabeth Holmes, already a CEO of her startup by the time, waiting in line for the first iPhone.

Planned obsolescence is part of the deal with companies that make these devices. Plus, some of the new improvements are too aggressive or resource demanding to run on older equipment.

My DW is still hanging on to her iPhone 6S but she doesn't do much with it besides talk and text. I have a newer Andriod Motorola and it does a lot, but not 5G, which I don't care about.

DW's iPad Air 2 (2nd gen) is going south (screen dying) and I'm sure after all these years, I'l have to replace it.

Both my hips wore out after decades of long distance running and I had to get both of them replaced too! :D

The phone companies obviously want you to keep buying every couple of years.

But generally, they are able to make newer models attractive enough and hype the new camera or other features enough to get people to upgrade.

Apple and others are good about supporting their devices for 4 or even 5 years of OS updates.

In general, consumers don't seem to be demanding much more than that or else they might be able to get a law passed requiring companies to support devices for say 10 years.

Of course they will have lobbyists try to stop such laws from being enacted.

But other than a few sticklers yelling at the clouds, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consumers demanding longer support than currently offered.

Yes, you can turn on an AM radio from the 50's and after the vacuum tubes have warmed up you can hear staticky mono music from one 4 inch diameter speaker with tons of commercials, whereas with a cell phone you have access to tens of thousands of songs on demand, podcasts, news shows, etc. Or you can watch videos and the sound can be sent wirelessly to your ears in stereo. You can also use voice commands to pull up almost any song or video you can name.

That's true, but the old radio still does everything it was designed to do initially. The iPod and similar iPhones slowly lose function after function until the owner surrenders and trashes them. And of course, there was the Apple battery life scandal that underscores the whole sordid strategy.

I don't recall which app in particular was the death knell of my old iPod Touch, but there was a series of incompatibility failures that made me realize it had been obsoleted.

Last edited:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet... new cellular frequency bands are released all the time. We saw this with LTE and of course it will happen with 5G for many years to come. The chips in a smartphone can only support the frequency bands that existed when the chip was designed. Plus bands that were soon to be released.

A 4-5 year old 4G phone will continue to work fine but only on the bands it was designed for. Side-by-side with a brand new 4G phone, the new phone will often have better coverage and better bandwidth performance.

Here's a comparison of my new phone (2022 Pixel 6) with my prior phone (2016 OnePlus 3T):

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-10 124819.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-10 124819.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 24
That's one take, I suppose. However it's rather disrespectful of those who think differently than you do. I actually had a cell phone fairly early. It was just after bags/bricks. All it did was make phone calls, but that's all I needed at the time. It eventually allowed me to drop my land line which was liberating. But even before that, I was one of those who insisted that my kids take it along when they traveled say on school trips/away games/with other parents, etc. My phone was often the only phone available to the various groups. Early adopter? I are one.:facepalm:

In short, you might need a different comparison to describe those of us who may resist multiple apps on our phones.:cool:

I'm a bit more skeptical of adding dozens of apps to my phone than some here. There have already been multiple vulnerabilities discovered from some of these apps. My current phone came with so many apps I don't even know what some of them are for.

But my big complaint is that apps are not being added for our benefit (though they may, indeed benefit us.) They are being added for the benefit of the companies that are either pushing them OR requiring them. IOW COMPANIES want you to have the apps and they market these apps to get you to accept them. You may want them, but not as much as the companies offering them want you to have them. For that reason alone, I think a bit of skepticism is in order but I understand I'm probably in the minority here as YMMV.
Your POV is not what the same as the OP - "It's no secret that I am not a big fan of cell phones. Other than being able to call for help if my car breaks down, or being able to read news when I'm bored visiting family, I would be perfectly happy not to own a cell phone. Unfortunately, cell phones are becoming more and more pervasive in today's world."

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet... new cellular frequency bands are released all the time. We saw this with LTE and of course it will happen with 5G for many years to come. The chips in a smartphone can only support the frequency bands that existed when the chip was designed. Plus bands that were soon to be released.

A 4-5 year old 4G phone will continue to work fine but only on the bands it was designed for. Side-by-side with a brand new 4G phone, the new phone will often have better coverage and better bandwidth performance.

Here's a comparison of my new phone (2022 Pixel 6) with my prior phone (2016 OnePlus 3T):

I'm replacing several old 2/3G flip phones on T-Mobile since they're turning off 2G & 3G end of this month...need new phones and SIMs.

Doing so because all the above are grandfathered on a $10/year plan...great glovebox phones.

There IS a reason that we are being moved to phone apps. I'm not certain I know what it is but I'd bet money it's for the "requirer" to make more money from its customers in some convoluted scheme, er, plan.

But my big complaint is that apps are not being added for our benefit (though they may, indeed benefit us.) They are being added for the benefit of the companies that are either pushing them OR requiring them. IOW COMPANIES want you to have the apps and they market these apps to get you to accept them. You may want them, but not as much as the companies offering them want you to have them. For that reason alone, I think a bit of skepticism is in order but I understand I'm probably in the minority here as YMMV.

I'm not 100% sure what the scheme is, but I think it's because they want to have a solid, long-term "handle" for you. That way they can use your phone number to link you to analytics captured elsewhere, and distant temporally as well. So if you use your phone for "everything" and you keep your phone number for many years/forever, they can paint a very detailed picture of you.

And oh, if you give them your cell phone number "for security purposes" (they use the excuse "if you forget your password" a lot), that's another linkage. Have you noticed how much they nag you for your cell phone number to use SMS as a second factor of authentication? Authentication might be part of the reason, but I think the drive to get your cell phone number attached to everything is to allow them to maximize profit from you. Is this bad? Maybe not, maybe so. Remember the deal where the retail store's app "knew" you were standing in the store, so you got in-store prices, rather than the web prices? Yeah, there was that, so it's not always to offer you a great deal on something you'd like to buy.

So you and I might be in the minority, but unless there's a compelling use-case for a phone app, or for giving up my cell phone number, I'm going to err on the side of using my cell phone for what I need vs what they want.

Apps are just like any other product or service.

The people who produce them hope to make money.

Or are you saying that app developers are greedy vermin while car manufacturers are altruistic?

Like any other product or service, app makers have to convince consumers that their apps offer a value proposition, worth paying for in one way or another.

But nobody is forced to install or use apps beyond the basic set which come with phones these days.

Even with those, you never have to open them once.

In fact, you can use modern smart phones like a dumb phone, just for calls and texts. You do have to open the Phone app and the texting/SMS app but otherwise, you don't have to touch any other apps!

That's true, but the old radio still does everything it was designed to do initially. The iPod and similar iPhones slowly lose function after function until the owner surrenders and trashes them. And of course, there was the Apple battery life scandal that underscores the whole sordid strategy.

I don't recall which app in particular was the death knell of my old iPad Touch, but there was a series of incompatibility failures that made me realize it had been obsoleted.

I still use my iPod Touch. I keep it in my car and use it to listen to podcasts. I use the Overcast app and so far everything keeps working just fine. My subscribed podcasts are updated and downloaded via Wi-Fi when my car is in the garage. My device is from 2016. It’s my third one. I admit I was smartphone resistant until my 3G flip phone had to be replaced.

I now have an iPhone 13 mini that goes with me everywhere. I know I could install Overcast on it and eliminate the iPod Touch. But I like to keep the Touch plugged into the charger in the car. And I’m a little sentimental about my old device that does what it does so well.

My older son still has his original iPod with the click wheel. He hangs on to a lot of vintage stuff, record players, laser disc players, radios, Polaroids, etc. That original iPod was ground breaking in its time.

Last edited:
I don't get it...

It's no secret that I am not a big fan of cell phones. Other than being able to call for help if my car breaks down, or being able to read news when I'm bored visiting family, I would be perfectly happy not to own a cell phone. Unfortunately, cell phones are becoming more and more pervasive in today's world.

For starters, I can't log on to most web sites these days without requiring two factor authentication with my cell phone. Yeah, it enhances security, but it's a hassle waiting for the code to arrive (if it even comes), assuming I can even get a cell signal here at home. Then I have to type it in on the web site, especially annoying when the page doesn't default with the cursor ready to type. I end up typing in the number only to discover the cursor wasn't ready and I have to type it all in again. Not to mention all these 2FA's used up my cell phone minutes last week and I had to buy more minutes.

Last summer I installed a new Mr Cool mini-split system. Naturally, I had to use a cell phone to connect the head unit to the wall thermostat. Also, except for basic functions, I have to use my cell phone to change any of the other settings in the thermostat. Dumb. So I leave that thermostat off and just use the remote control.

The real kicker was when I bought an Osmo Action camera to take on vacation with us. I thought the small size would be handy to just carry around as we're out and about. Unfortunately, there was no mention that the camera won't work until you "activate" it with a cell phone. Of course the app has to be side loaded and for whatever reason is completely incompatible with my "ancient" 4 year old cell phone. Sorry, I'm not getting a new cell phone to use a camera. Stupid. It is being returned.

I was always told not to put all your eggs in one basket, but everything today is being assigned to the cell phone. So dumb...

I assume you had a landline all your life.
IT'S JUST A PHONE.
(yeah, you can get one with bells & whistles but you don't have to)

We feel your pain. DW & I feel that much of society's problems are either a direct result of or have been exacerbated by the omnipresent mobile phone. And don't even get us started on manners...
So we aren't phone people either. DW needed one for her j*b announcements 6 or 7 years ago so we got her a cheap non-smart Trac-Fone™. It used 3G so we had to replace it this year. She no longer needs it for her j*b but I had already pre-paid for 2 years of service so for $5 we got a little non-smart flip-phone. We only turn it on when we're out of town and we need to make a call since there are no pay-phones anymore and our calling card expired. Once the call is over, we turn off the phone and put it away.
As far as 2FA goes, if you argue with companies enough, they'll either use e-mail for the 2nd factor or do away with it. YMMV, but we find life to be so much more relaxing without a mobile phone.

I'm not 100% sure what the scheme is, but I think it's because they want to have a solid, long-term "handle" for you. That way they can use your phone number to link you to analytics captured elsewhere, and distant temporally as well. So if you use your phone for "everything" and you keep your phone number for many years/forever, they can paint a very detailed picture of you.

And oh, if you give them your cell phone number "for security purposes" (they use the excuse "if you forget your password" a lot), that's another linkage. Have you noticed how much they nag you for your cell phone number to use SMS as a second factor of authentication? Authentication might be part of the reason, but I think the drive to get your cell phone number attached to everything is to allow them to maximize profit from you. Is this bad? Maybe not, maybe so. Remember the deal where the retail store's app "knew" you were standing in the store, so you got in-store prices, rather than the web prices? Yeah, there was that, so it's not always to offer you a great deal on something you'd like to buy.

So you and I might be in the minority, but unless there's a compelling use-case for a phone app, or for giving up my cell phone number, I'm going to err on the side of using my cell phone for what I need vs what they want.

Heh, heh, and this is the most benign view of the subject. "It's just the money." But, (I know folks are tired of my suggestion) see my tag line. YMMV

I still use my iPod Touch.

We had a garage sale recently and in gathering stuff for it, DH came across his iPod Touch from around 2008. I charged it up and it still worked fine. We had no trouble selling it.

We had a garage sale recently and in gathering stuff for it, DH came across his iPod Touch from around 2008. I charged it up and it still worked fine. We had no trouble selling it.

I assume you purged any data within the phone.

Another reason I don't want to spend much on a phone. I have no idea how to purge it before getting rid of it. A hammer works pretty well, though YMMV.

Another reason I don't want to spend much on a phone. I have no idea how to purge it before getting rid of it. A hammer works pretty well, though YMMV.

The iPod Touch is not a phone from what I can remember.

The iPod Touch is not a phone from what I can remember.

Wouldn't know. I never had one. Guess I made a a faulty assumption because cell phones is the subject matter. YMMV

Last edited:

Very simple really. Settings > General > Erase all contents and settings

Or similar depending on the version of iOS.

I recall it plays MP3's and can do a few wireless tasks. But should be purged anyway.
The iPod Touch was basically an iPhone that did everything but make phone calls. Which is what killed it eventually.

Cell phones like any tech are only as useful as you make them. If you wear the same t-shirt socks and underwear, shorts everyday, you will never need a washing machine. I ust do them in the sink and let them dry overnight. f you have a house full of kids a good washing machine and dishwasher will give you back hours of your life.

Same for cell phones. I am a big traveller, and own homes and live on 2 continents. That I can manage my homes remotely, rent them out and chat with guests, lock unlock, control hot water, lights security etc. is amazing. Used to need to rely on people to physically go there for everything.

I don't begrudge the people who don't care for tech their opinions. I mean you don't need it, or streaming, or being able to text for free or call anywhere in the world for free. But don't make it seem that those of us who benefit from the new options out there are sell outs or being taken in by big tech.

oh and my relatively new iPhone takes amazing photos so no buying and carrying around a huge camera bag like I used to. I love music and had 100's of Albums and CD's which are now all with me all the time. I am diabetic and my phone can track my glucose levels which might save my life. My father had issues walking so got him an apple watch and Iphone. when he fell and was unconscious the phone alerted me and I sent the paramedics. I know it saved his life.

Like most things you get out of it what you put into it. If you just need a phone don't spring for a fancy smart phone. That would be dumb. but don't knock it for those of us who gain so much from them....

Cell phones like any tech are only as useful as you make them. If you wear the same t-shirt socks and underwear, shorts everyday, you will never need a washing machine. I ust do them in the sink and let them dry overnight. f you have a house full of kids a good washing machine and dishwasher will give you back hours of your life.

Same for cell phones. I am a big traveller, and own homes and live on 2 continents. That I can manage my homes remotely, rent them out and chat with guests, lock unlock, control hot water, lights security etc. is amazing. Used to need to rely on people to physically go there for everything.

I don't begrudge the people who don't care for tech their opinions. I mean you don't need it, or streaming, or being able to text for free or call anywhere in the world for free. But don't make it seem that those of us who benefit from the new options out there are sell outs or being taken in by big tech.

oh and my relatively new iPhone takes amazing photos so no buying and carrying around a huge camera bag like I used to. I love music and had 100's of Albums and CD's which are now all with me all the time. I am diabetic and my phone can track my glucose levels which might save my life. My father had issues walking so got him an apple watch and Iphone. when he fell and was unconscious the phone alerted me and I sent the paramedics. I know it saved his life.

Like most things you get out of it what you put into it. If you just need a phone don't spring for a fancy smart phone. That would be dumb. but don't knock it for those of us who gain so much from them....

Sorry, I'm still trying to get past the guy wearing the same clothes - day after day with no washing machine. :p

But seriously, I like your last paragraph. I bought the cheapest "smart" phone I could find that would satisfy my cheap plan. I would have stayed with my flip phone but it was no longer supported.

But, as you suggest, Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. NO, wait! That was Tom Lehrer.:cool: Never mind as YMMV.

I agree with OP and go one step further. I through mys flip phone away many years ago and have never regretted it.

Back
Top Bottom