Repair question - threaded rod

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We have a decorative patio piece that connects 2 poles with a short threaded rod. The threads are worn and no longer holding the piece in place. Not sure if the problem is inside the attached poles or the threaded piece itself. Is there a simple and inexpensive way to deal with this? The threaded rod is 1 3/8” long and 5/8” diameter.

I’ve looked for a replacement threaded rod, don’t see one the exact measurements of this, and anyway am not certain it would work. This patio piece was probably made in China and might be using non-standard pieces.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Photos below of the rod and threaded connecting piece.

Attachments

• IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 6
Most likely it’s metric.

Go to your nearest hardware and screw the threaded rod into the metric and U.S. size bolt gauges in their fastener department to determine what you have.

Is the threaded connector wallowed out?

Last edited:
My hardware store has a display where you can test various threads. Unfortunately, probably not that big. If your willing to keep it together, you could cover the threaded rod with some JB Weld and permanently “weld” it together.

Take it to a hardware store and they "should" be able to figure out the thread size and count. But....if it was me, I would just use JB Weld or some other two part epoxy and permanently glue them together.

Problem is the threads were loose to begin with non-precision threads, then add some wear and corrosion, and now threads don't work well. I agree, just clean the threads best you can, then some epoxy, JB Weld, or similar to connect it and that will take up the slop in the threads. Also make it permanently connected. But that's the easy cheap fix.

Do you need to take it apart? If not put it together and find someone to weld it together for you?

Try wrapping the threaded part with some plumber tape... it will make that piece bigger and might hold..

I am assuming that it not holding is because the other side has expanded some and the threads no long hold well... but you can let us know what is really the problem...

The JB Weld is also a good option if you do not have to take it apart...

Try wrapping the threaded part with some plumber tape... it will make that piece bigger and might hold.

I 2nd what Texas Proud suggested. Try wrapping the threads several times around with Teflon tape (aka plumber's tape).

Do you need to take it apart? If not put it together and find someone to weld it together for you?
Yes, it has to be removable. The base of this unit is buried. The assembled unit can’t be left outdoors during hurricanes or strong wind.

I’ll try the plumbers tape. I’ll also look for a 16mm threaded rod. If neither of those work, maybe JB Weld to the bottom pole.

Thanks for the ideas.

I would say, buy a tap and die set, the raw material, and make your own.

If you clean it up very good, you could braze it together with coat hanger rod. Cheap and effective as long as it’s not Aluminum.

PTFE thread tape should do it.

We have several pieces of yard art that go together like that. JB Weld is your friend.

Yes, it has to be removable. The base of this unit is buried. The assembled unit can’t be left outdoors during hurricanes or strong wind.

I’ll try the plumbers tape. I’ll also look for a 16mm threaded rod. If neither of those work, maybe JB Weld to the bottom pole.

Thanks for the ideas.
Have to look at the various thread-types too. It can be measured.

The problem I think is that original design is subject to moisture and then rust. The cheap stuff is usually steel, and the fit goes through torture.

I might consider inserting a long, threadless galvanized rod and bypass the screws. Or maybe a PVC sched 80 on the outside.

Most of the suggestions above are cheap, inexpensive band-aid type repairs. And that's fine if that suits your needs and abilities. Teflon Tape is made to seal tapered pipe fittings and may work temporarily in this application, but in no way should be considered a permanent fix on non-tapered threads.

If you want to do it right, replace the threaded rods with brass or zinc-plated brass All Thread cut to size and the old sleeve with a brass or zinc-plated brass sleeve, once you determine the thread size and pitch. Brass All Thread and sleeves are probably not available in most hardware stores or big box stores, but widely available on ebay or McMaster Carr. That way rust will no longer be an issue and you won't have to deal with this again in another couple years. When repairing something, I always try to improve upon the original design and material selection so it never fails again if at all possible and economically feasible.

Last edited:
A simpler option?

Or maybe in addition to some of the others about some form of thread repair -

Find a wooden dowel, or smaller diameter threaded rod that would fit *inside* the two pieces, long enough to bridge the gap (and I mean a couple feet long, if that works), and provide support. Maybe wrap it with a little tape for a snug fit. Maybe even eliminate that short stub threaded coupler altogether, so a larger rod/dowel (just a bit smaller OD than the ID of the pole pieces) can fit, and provide even more strength (if needed), and less slop?

A little hard to say w/o knowing more about how the whole thing goes together, how much weight etc, but I would try that.

-ERD50

Last edited:
The challenge will be dealing with the condition of the internal threads on both pieces. That is unknown, and it is very difficult to say what will last long enough, and you don't have to keep going back to fix it.

If you clean it up very good, you could braze it together with coat hanger rod. Cheap and effective as long as it’s not Aluminum.

Are you saying a person can use regular old coat hangers to braze , and could I do this with a propane torch or do I need a welding torch ?

Like these hangers ? :
clothe-hanger-balcony-Wire-Coat-Hanger-ss-Feature.jpg

Are you saying a person can use regular old coat hangers to braze , and could I do this with a propane torch or do I need a welding torch ?

Like these hangers ? :
clothe-hanger-balcony-Wire-Coat-Hanger-ss-Feature.jpg

You can't braze with coat hangers. They are steel wire. To melt that is welding, not brazing. Brazing is usually copper alloys, can be silver based, and temps around 1200-1600F. Soldering is even lower temp and around 600F or less. A propane torch might get to 600F range, but to get higher you need mapp gas (still will struggle for 1200F) or oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane.

You can't braze with coat hangers. They are steel wire. To melt that is welding, not brazing. Brazing is usually copper alloys, can be silver based, and temps around 1200-1600F. Soldering is even lower temp and around 600F or less. A propane torch might get to 600F range, but to get higher you need mapp gas (still will struggle for 1200F) or oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane.
It's a bad idea anyway. Welding to dirty metal is problematic and brazing dirty metal is worse. Probably impossible for an inexperienced welder even with a proper oxy-acetylene torch set.

I think that before you ruin the parts with JB Weld or some other magic goop, you should check/verify that the thread pitch on the rod is 2mm and, if so, buy a piece of rod from McMaster and see if it gets you closer to solving the problem. If you're closer but the fit is still loose, wrap the thread end of the rod with a little bit of stainless steel wool. (Regular steel wool will quickly rust.) That should tighten things up but still be a reversible repair. BTW Teflon is not a good idea here because Teflon will cold flow and potentially loosen up after a little bit of time.

We have a decorative patio piece that connects 2 poles with a short threaded rod. The threads are worn and no longer holding the piece in place. Not sure if the problem is inside the attached poles or the threaded piece itself. Is there a simple and inexpensive way to deal with this? The threaded rod is 1 3/8” long and 5/8” diameter.

I’ve looked for a replacement threaded rod, don’t see one the exact measurements of this, and anyway am not certain it would work. This patio piece was probably made in China and might be using non-standard pieces.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Photos below of the rod and threaded connecting piece.

Thread repair tape would probably be the best bet to answer the bolded question.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-TITE-VC-3-Tape-Instant-Threadlocker/dp/B09FTP34MR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PSWJL0JD7ERY&keywords=tank+bond+thread+stopper+tape&qid=1702838494&sprefix=tank+bond+thread+stopper+%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-3

There are better, more mechanically sound solutions, but that is a different question.

JB weld (or equivalent) one end of the thread rod into one of the pipes. Then use a 3/4 or 1" PVC about as long as both poles together to act as a sleeve. Paint the PVC sleeve if necessary. Original poles go into the PVC sleeve.

You can use threaded PVC connectors as a mid point joint too. Should be easy to assembly and take apart both the pole and the sleeve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom