contractor licensee search-deck building

retire to nature

Recycles dryer sheets
I am trying to rebuild a deck. It is very serious condition with rotten wood. Also it is two level but want to make a level.

I got 3 bid. 23k with composition (TV commercial deck company, when he came out i asked half size of deck, but still 23k).
12k(sending pics thru text)->20K(when I contacted back, he upgraded his phone in 2 month, forgot about 12k->15k(he came out to the house no measurement, but talking about how nice my dog is to make intimacy)
10k I met him because he was working on the next door. And company name was son of carpenter. contracting. So when I found his business' card, I thought he was a carpenter, so contacted him and later found out he is a general contract.

I could see 10k was so desperate for this job. All other company was weeks of waiting. But he doesnt have his next job. when I checked his website on the business card, the address was not working. I asked pics of work. so he showed me some, but one thing different was the stair rail baluster connected to stairs directly. so upper part has has 2x4 part but no at the bottom. So I was wondering and concerned if he does the know how to. But anyway, it is permit required job.

So when I see the estimate, there was no license number or insured. I wanted to make sure insured because the condition of the deck is very bad. He told me where I can find on the page, but there was none. So he edited to add his licensee number and insured as written. I know to keep the insured and licensee it costs, and sometime it doesnt mean anything.

I decided to proceed with him. He could be my next handy man because his price was reasonable and he seems to take a small job too.

So we talked about the payment option, and material part first, and rest will be divided. But when I receive the invoice it was total due on yesterday.

I emailed him back it is not we agreed, and he replied back he will fix it. so while waiting, I searched his license number. no result. I contacted him if he has a proof, and he sent me his LLC certification. I thought license number is contractor license number.

I really have not search things thru before. When I tried to decide some reputation or review and price. But even still good company made a whole while a new roof, and made water leaking make the whole piece of ceiling drywall wet. and they didnt find with throw a 500ml water bottle to flow and just gave me BS wait for the big rain. Then I cant get renters or mess after renter move in with whole wet ceiling. So I went to the attic and found the whole and requested repair.

Another one was I hired a contrator to fix a deck on the top of garage. it was leaking so walls got molds. So I fixed it to sell. after fixed it for 4k, it was exactly leaking again.

So I wanted to make sure. Actually I knew his bid price is too low if it is a licensed contractor. And I didnt want to licensed one because I may sell the house soon. So I checked inactive licensee part, no result. I checked BBB, there is another exact same name in another city, MO, but it is not him.

He was desperated to get it and aggressively contacting me, but he has been quiet after the last conversation that I couldnt find him the license search website. Should I pass it?

Last edited:
He was desperated to get it and aggressively contacting me, but he has been quiet after the last conversation that I couldnt find him the license search website. Should I pass it?

I would very definitely pass on that guy. Two red flags are that his bid is half of the other contractors and no license. No way would I let that guy work on my house.

In our state, licensing is required but it is bureaucratic, having little to do with whether the contractor knows how to build anything. In addition to what you have done, ask to speak to a couple of his recent customers. Emphasis on "recent." Any contractor will have a few old reliable friends' names to give you. These are not the people you want to talk to.

For any contractor ask for certificates of insurance provided by his agent. In our state this would include liability and IIRC workman's comp insurance. Take the time to understand how lien waivers work and why it is important for you to get them as you make payments. Absolutely minimize prepayments. The contractor has a right to know that he will get paid; this is in opposition to your desire to never be an unsecured creditor.

If you have questions about something you see in his work, like the balusters, ask. "Building inspector" is a nice theory but even a competent inspector knows that he is not going to live in the house he just signed off.

The state of MO does not license general contractors. You need to look at the local level.

They are, of course, required to have a business license, but that is just a form to fill out to make sure they pay taxes.

Workers comp insurance is required. Other types of insurance appear to be optional.

Bottom line. Buyer beware.

In our state, licensing is required but it is bureaucratic, having little to do with whether the contractor knows how to build anything.

I was a RN licensee. When I had to transfer from CA to MO, only I need to do was just pay $. CA requires continuous education etc. But here just money, that was it. that's why I didnt want to care much if a holder or not. He was a property manager for the next door house where I am living. I know LLC in florida bought a house but somehow it was vacated almost one year even though it was ready to move in house.

I may get the LLC infor from online, ask some question. And how do i get the recent buyer? how do i know if he gives me his old friend as a buyer? I do rental history verification all the time, so I know the possibility they do that way as if the friend is a landlord.

The state of MO does not license general contractors. You need to look at the local level.

They are, of course, required to have a business license, but that is just a form to fill out to make sure they pay taxes.

Workers comp insurance is required. Other types of insurance appear to be optional.

Bottom line. Buyer beware.

Yes thats what I found thru googling. so thats why I was wondering if I over thinking.

Yes, run away as fast as you can from this guy or you will regret it but I think you already know that.

yes I guess you may be right. I was getting tired of get the bid so was gonna just do with him.

But after more search, I found the BBB same name company was his. 1/5 review two times. So he is using the city still and one of review saying they went to the address and one old lady living there not related.

I reviewed public record. some court cases. some of them didnt satisfied the payment. Thats why he said all the money goes to his wife hahaha. Must have garnishment or something on his account.

Last edited:
I would very definitely pass on that guy. Two red flags are that his bid is half of the other contractors and no license. No way would I let that guy work on my house.

Alternately, ask him to give you 3 names of people he has done similar w*rk for. Go take a look at those 3 jobs.

I ran into a website which was helpful

https://opencorporates.com/

So I caught the 10k company was a total loser and liar because he was forfeited so move a state to another many times and open and close business so often many court cases. And this website and even BBB days out of business. so I passed.

So I asked 15k company if any negotiation possible since he gave me 12k initially. so he is now saying 13k. What I found is the opencorporates.com says it was registered in 2019, but never did follow up the requirement it got cancelled so says it is inactive. And had a some other company names too. so I asked the guy about it, he said some tax issues and he was working on it, but many times notice were sent, he didnt follow so finally canceled June 2022. I asked if he was insured and he showed me insurance liability certificate on 6/30/22. which means will expire soon, but usually they renew already this time, so newer one already out there in my guess. Also, he was kept more lying like I dont need a permit. and if do permit extra $3k more. But other companies and my city websites are only about $300. He want the discount back by the lie. If he was honesty, I can afford 15k in cash. He has all good deck pictures, good facebook review a+ BBB but non accredited, but I guess I have to pass because of all the lying about permit. I want the permit and it is no hassle when selling.

So I ran into a worker while walking my dog. Asked estimate ballpark and verbally 13-14k, and they charge $100 to come out. I was tired of BS, and seems like reasonable number after all the other bid, so hoping some real truths explanation for I paid. accredited A+ BBB, clean public record. good facebook review. but mostly other exterior, not much deck pic. He said he will send me some deck pic, and waiting for official estimate. But one concern is the opencorporate webside, no result. it is LLC, but still 10k company showed.

I am not sure how much I rely on the website. any idea?

I like a deal as much as the next guy but I have a few personal guidelines I like to follow. I always get 5 competitive bids if possible but never less than 3. I never deal with any contractor I have caught lying to me. I always check references and often choose someone other than the lowest bidder. If I have doubts such as I feel the need to ask SGOTI for opinions on a contractor - I walk away.

Back
Top Bottom