Replacement for Round Up weed killer

Just embrace the weeds. Their lives matter too. I don’t care, as long as the lawn is green I’m good. When we had pavers hubby used the torch thing to keep stuff from growing between the pavers, that worked really well. He even let me do it once, something really satisfying about burning sh1t.

+1 (In the bold) I don't trust what anybody says about this stuff.... However I did quit using Roundup a few years ago. I bought some Eraser Max and I won't use anything else now... Works WAY better than Roundup and last MUCH longer. I spray it on about a mile of fence line twice a year and it maintains a 5 to 8" line of dirt where I sprayed it... Nothing grows.

Eraser Max uses Glyphosate which is the main killing ingredient in RoundUp and I think that is the carcinogenic ingredient in question.

+1 (In the bold) I don't trust what anybody says about this stuff.... However I did quit using Roundup a few years ago. I bought some Eraser Max and I won't use anything else now... Works WAY better than Roundup and last MUCH longer. I spray it on about a mile of fence line twice a year and it maintains a 5 to 8" line of dirt where I sprayed it... Nothing grows.

Eraser Max uses Glyphosate which is the main killing ingredient in RoundUp and I think that is the carcinogenic ingredient in question.

There sure are a lot of assumptions in this thread. This stuff can be looked up easily:

Yes, the active ingredient in Eraser Max is the same as Roundup, plus one other:

https://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/products/eraser-max/
Active Ingredients: Glyphosate 43.68%, Imazapyr 0.78%

https://assets.greenbook.net/L123232.pdf
Roundup: ACTIVE INGREDIENT :*Glyphosate, isopropylamine salt. . . 50.2%

From wiki:
The main active ingredient of Roundup is the isopropylamine salt of glyphosate. Another ingredient of Roundup is the surfactant POEA (polyethoxylated tallow amine).

Also, the carcinogenic effects of Glyphosate is very questionable. Again from wiki (emph mine):

There is limited evidence that human cancer risk might increase as a result of occupational exposure to large amounts of glyphosate, such as agricultural work, but no good evidence of such a risk from home use, such as in domestic gardening.[24]

The consensus among national pesticide regulatory agencies and scientific organizations is that labeled uses of glyphosate have demonstrated no evidence of human carcinogenicity.[25] Organizations such as the Joint FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticide Residues and the European Commission, Canadian Pest Management Regulatory Agency, and the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment[26] have concluded that there is no evidence that glyphosate poses a carcinogenic or genotoxic risk to humans.

I'm pretty sure that if you drive a mile out of your way to buy an alternative, you have exposed yourself to a higher risk than that from the herbicide.

-ERD50

I scanned this thread and no one seems to use Crossbow or mentions it. It is proven safe for spraying around our animals and sold at Farm and Feed stores. Typically used on pastures. It does not kill grass, but is amazing on weeds and woody plants like blackberry. It simply works and is the only thing I know really works for blackberry and common weeds. It will kill woody plants, but we spray it on our 2500 feet of gravel driveway, the lawns and pastures. Just an option depending on your application.

This Low Volatile Weed and Brush Herbicide is used for the control of most kinds of unwanted trees and brush. It is also used on annual and perennial broadleaf weeds on rangeland, permanent grass pastures, conservation reserve program (CRP) acres, fence rows, non-irrigation ditch banks, roadsides and other non-crop areas and industrial sites.

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS:
COMPONENT CAS NUMBER W/W%
2,4-D BEE 1929-73-3 34.4
Triclopyr BEE 64700-56-7 16.5
Kerosene 8008-20-6 41.5
Balance 7.6

Last edited:
Sorry, but No

In a nutshell, no. I have used many other products as well as some of the stated home remedies. Some were semi-useful, some were useless, but none were as good as Roundup, especially the Professional version concentrate I use. Bought a large container of it years ago and it is still going strong on our large property.

You sound like me I bought a gallon of Chlordane in 1982 hoping it would last a lifetime as it was quickly outlawed it really did the number on ants and termites but sadly no one can use it because it does a number on humans too.

I’ve never had good luck with round up and with all the controversy I feel crossbow is a superior product and is flying under the radar it works it just doesn’t kill your grass.

Eh Roundup is fine for me. I am not going to drink it or bathe in it.

Started using Spectracide concentrate2 weed and grass killer this year - works very well and less expensive than Roundup.

Just embrace the weeds. Their lives matter too. I don’t care, as long as the lawn is green I’m good. When we had pavers hubby used the torch thing to keep stuff from growing between the pavers, that worked really well. He even let me do it once, something really satisfying about burning sh1t.

What? You didn't "embrace" the weeds between the pavers? Their lives matter too!:facepalm:

I hand pull as much as I can. A hand held torch works great on spot weeding but not for big areas. For bigger areas, like a gravel driveway in our mountain house, I use a product called Kilz All by High Yield. It's a concentrate you mix; probably has similar or the same chemicals as Round Up. But it works.

... For bigger areas, like a gravel driveway in our mountain house, I use a product called Kilz All by High Yield. It's a concentrate you mix; probably has similar or the same chemicals as Round Up. But it works.
I have a gravel driveway - driving keeps the weeds down in the tire tracks, I just occasionally mow the center strip.

The area where I park cars can get pretty weedy in the gravel. Fortunately it's a sunny area, so on a hot sunny day, I roll out a big sheet of plastic, and weigh down the edges - one day of that is usually enough to kill most of the weeds, or at least set them back enough, so that it's good for a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom