Retirees, are you politically active?

I am taking time to be a delegate at our local district convention. Always wanted to watch sausage being made.

I've talked to the three major democratic candidates for senate in my state and made my national health care pitch and offered to work on health care issues if they get elected.

Retired 16 months now. Politically active ? - ugh. I'd rather still be working.

I would like to be more active, but only if it was like the system in the southern town where I grew up. The more you did for your man, the more you got when he was elected.

But I know a woman who worked really hard in a mayoral compaign, her man got elected, but she got almost nothing in return. Not for me!

Ha

I am taking time to be a delegate at our local district convention. Always wanted to watch sausage being made.

I've talked to the three major democratic candidates for senate in my state and made my national health care pitch and offered to work on health care issues if they get elected.

Ah, the "sausage" quotation from Bismark, right? I think the full remark was "Anyone who loves the law and sausage should not see either one being made", or something to that effect.

For those of you who are retired, now that you have more free time are you now more politically involved than when you were working?

Yep! Although I've been politically active for years, in that I've contacted my Senators and Reps numerous times, concerning issues that I've had strong feelings toward. Since retiring, I've actively campaigned and worked for a friend of mine who ran for mayor of out city. It was his first time running for any political office, and the incumbent only beat him by a handful of votes. It was the closest election in over 100 years! And the closest ever between a 'first-timer' and an incumbent. In our area, 'first-timers' usually get stomped severely at the polls.

I've also been actively campaigning for state and national candidates. Not only lip service, but also putting the money where my mouth is. And I've continued 'harping' to my Senators and Reps about those issues that concern me.

not yet, but i can see that coming. people have told me i have the right personality to get involved in politics, as a candidate. truth is i'm not really political at all. ssshhhhhhhhhhh :rolleyes:

For the first years after I retired. I did a moderate amount of work on three campaigns and been a poll worker /watcher on several ocassions.

This year I've helped out a bit on the McCain campaign (phones calls) and contributions. I'll do more but probably not as much as back as in 2000.

For those of you who are retired, now that you have more free time are you now more politically involved than when you were working?
I'm not more active... but I am more politically aware.
I'm as politically active now as I was on active duty, but a lot more cynical.

I still vote, and I still insist on making sense of those densely-worded ballot resolutions & propositions.

I enjoy listening to locals complain about Hawaii's political corruption & graft. These complainers need to spend a year in New York City, Chicago, or Pittsburgh...

I enjoy listening to locals complain about Hawaii's political corruption & graft. These complainers need to spend a year in New York City, Chicago, or Pittsburgh...

Hey! Hey! Hey! :bat: Chicago has no corruption. We have our own unique political style forged on the anvil of Democratic Party urban politics. O0

Last edited:

I grew up in an extended family dependent on city of Chicago jobs. Campaigning for Dems was mandatory. Spent countless hours as a teen and beyond passing out fliers, ringing doorbells, checking off voters each time they arrived at a polling place....... etc.

I'm enjoying taking a little break right now. I'm interested in what's going on, but not physically active in the process. Been there, done that...... a lot!

Nope - plus I went a rather long period without health insurance of any kind or voting.

As luck would have it - survived both.

Not recommended for anyone else.

heh heh heh - I did vote last election. And I could afford health insurance up here.

Doctor (to teenage patient): Are you sexually active?
Reply: No, usually I just lie there

You (to me): Are you politically active?
Reply: No, usually I just bend over and spread'em

Can't say for myself yet, but my Dad became more active in reading and writing letters to any and all politicians after he retired and continues to do so. I always thought it was amusing and felt a little sorry for the politicians. But the "politicians" always "write" back, so I guess everyone is happy...

Back
Top Bottom